Powerglide! Bombshell!

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Powerglide! Bombshell!

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:
Dominic wrote:(For the record, I like Bombshell and plan to get one at some point. But, it would be nice if it looked more consistent with Shrapnel.)
Having Bombshell now, and seeing him next to Skrapnel, I gotta ask you: What would need to be...fixed, as it were, to make it more 'consistent' with Skrapnel, in your eyes? Would you just prefer Bombshell was a Skrapnel retool with a new head/antenna, or what?
I'm guessing it's because the shades of purple and yellow aren't exactly the same between the two, which is a silly complaint really. Especially since the difference is minimal. In fact, they actually look pretty awesome if you take Bombshell in weapon mode and peg him into Skrapnel in bug mode. Believe me, that will make the whole thing look way more consistent.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It is a question of the sculpt and and proportion of the two figures. The differences are not as stark as Bayformers or Animated relative to other lines. But, they are enough that I see them. (Bombshell actually looks better than Shrapnel. But, I would have liked for the two figures to look more similar.)
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Have Bombshell and Shkrapnel not always had different designs and proportions? Even going back to the original toys, Bombshell has always been the somewhat stockier, thicker guy (his upper body design practically evokes a hunchback), while Shrapnel has the more 'normal' proportions of the group. Kickback's the more lithe, thin one.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah, I'm not seeing the difference, either. Except in size, Bombshell is slightly bigger, but as Prowl pointed out, that's normal for the Insecticon trio anyway.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The do not look like they came from the same place.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:The do not look like they came from the same place.
How so? There's no difference in the level of detail, they have comparable articulation, they're both roughly the same size... Ok, the manufacture info says Skrapnel came from China while Bombshell came from Vietnam, but I kinda think that's irrelevant. The only inconsistency between the two is the shades of purple and yellow.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:
Dominic wrote:The do not look like they came from the same place.
How so?
Ditto. Like...Ugh, *what* is different about them, Dom?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The main differences are colouring. Bombshell is more metallic while Shrapnel is more matte. They look like they are from nearby, but not the same, places. There are also differences in the sculpt (Shrapnel being "edges and points" while Bombshell is more rounded). It is not as severe are "Prime" v/s "Generations". But, it is enough that I notice it.

In any case, I got both Powerglide and Bombshell last night.

No two ways around it, Bombshell is the better figure. Even the gun mode (left out of the instructions) is better. On top of the toy being better, Bombshell scores points for being Bombshell (and showing up in comics that I like).

Powerglide is not bad. But, the weapon mode is a wasted effort. Worth buying if you like the character or plan to assemble Superion.

Getting Powerglide also helps me appreciate the upcoming Viper figure more. (If I did not have Powerglide, I would likely see Viper as a weak substitute.)
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I like Powerglide's gun mode, if only for how much effort they *did* put into it. It looks like a nonsense space gun, yeah, but it's a nonsense space gun with a surprising amount of dedicated nonsense space gun parts. Also just generally surprised at how much I like New new Powerglide anyway, he's just generally appealing, especially in Robot Mode. Can this *please* be the last toy we get of him, though?
Dominic wrote:Worth buying if you like the character or plan to assemble Superion.
PeeGee isn't strictly necessary for 'assembling' Superion. His gun mode's more of a bonus, really only a 'part' of Superion in that Hasbro tells you Superion should be holding this big, extra, Powerglide-shaped gun. But the big guy hardly looks incomplete without him, not in the same way, say, Menasor does without his Blackjackchestplate.
Getting Powerglide also helps me appreciate the upcoming Viper figure more. (If I did not have Powerglide, I would likely see Viper as a weak substitute.)
I'm more excited for that figure than I reasonably should be, just on concept. You hear that it's officially a troop-builder now?
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Right around the time we found out about Viper one of my people at work told me an old joke that even got made into an episode of GI Joe and so now I can't help but picture Viper as the Decepticons' janitor with an Eastern European accent.

He is Viper, and he comes to vash and vipe the vindows.

But also he looks dope and I'll totally be getting one.

I dont know which of the two guns I like more. They're both pretty entertaining on their own merits and I'm just happy to have Targetmasters still be a thing.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.