Animated Series discussion thread (spoilers allowed)

Some cartoon with big chins and a little girl that got beloved by fans and taken off TV to make way for a different show on another network. Yeah, that's fair.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Animated Series discussion thread (spoilers allowed)

Post by Onslaught Six »

I've been busy this week, what with finals coming up and also actually having a life (I stayed out until past midnight over in Indiana every day up to today) so I haven't had a chance to watch it. I'm actually just gonna wait until next Saturday to watch it, and I'll just watch both parts.

Incidentally, this week's Power Rangers RPM was also part one of a two-parter, so I can do that for both shows this Saturday.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I was actually pretty impressed, this episode proved to be more than the sum of its parts. Especially the revelation of What Was Going On. They could've just made the whole a thing an inconsequential 'It was all a dream' episode, but instead they took it further and made that 'dream' the basis of the real plot. The segment towards the end of the Human Autobots finally getting to kick some SERIOUS ass was awesome, as was their 'transformation' sequence. Also, thrilled as hell about the return of Soundwave, and the delicious debut of the Bitchin' Birdguitar and Bitchin' Batkeytar. Good to see Sari getting back into the action too, and for her conceptual bike/jetpack to finally become a reality. Can't wait for part 2.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Alright, Part 2's out, and it was very close to being the best thing ever. Autobots learning to drive, Electrostatic Soundwave, the gag about Snarl's name, the triumphant return of Wreck-Gar (and the shot of him playing an accordian), and Soundwave and Optimus egaging in an epic rock-off ending in Optimus FLCL-ing Soundwave. Kick ass.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Meh.

It was okay.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ok, I'm way behind. :)

I'm just about through season two of Animated. I bought the DVD last week, and I've watched every episode except for the second half of "A Bridge too close" at this point, and I'll probably get to that this evening. The second season is a considerable improvement over the first, in my opinion. I still dislike the cheesy human villains, but they are at least a bit less annoying this time around. The character episodes gave us Wreck-Gar, Wasp(inator), Blurr and Shockwave (and I love the fact that Blurr and Shockwave are voiced by their G1 voice actors).

Good stuff... Animated has shaped up to be a nice mix of ideas and characters from various old series while adding a few of its own. I'm still not a fan of the character designs, but they aren't a major impediment to enjoying the show.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I waited until both were out to see them. Hah, that was like every G1 plot ever rolled into one. Shades of Only Human and Ultimate Doom, and the drive-in was a total nod to G1 #1. The Snarlag name drop pleased, as did Soundwave's Resistance Is Futile. Their strategy definitely brought to mind Megs and the Vehicon drones prior to the arrival of the Generals, although that's probably just coincidence. Guitar battle was also win, and I'm glad Sounds got to live to fight another day. I am a shameless Soundwave fanboy.

Favourite moment had to be Wreck-Gar busting out the accordian, though, such the Weird Al injoke.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

I actually shouted "YESS!" and probably did a fist pump when Wreckgar burst out of the water. I am a kid at heart, what can I say.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

White Soundwave is reportedly a nod to Music Label white Sounds, which impresses. Also, forgot to mention how much I loved Human Bulkhead's nod to Prowl's traffic light weapon.

The only thing that bugged me was the inconsistent animation of the hole in Soundwave's shoulder after Sari blasted him. Sometimes it was there, sometimes it wasn't, sometimes it was in a different place.. I'd have preferred he just healed it with his nanites.
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

onslaught86 wrote:The only thing that bugged me was the inconsistent animation of the hole in Soundwave's shoulder after Sari blasted him. Sometimes it was there, sometimes it wasn't, sometimes it was in a different place.. I'd have preferred he just healed it with his nanites.
Yeah, even "virtual" Soundwave had it, which was weird. Overall, it was a fun idea, but probably could have been executed as well or better in a single episode. Part 2 felt a little padded out, though I did love the idea of Sari leading a Suicide Squad of sorts. Might have been better with one or two more members, though.
I disappear.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

onslaught86 wrote:Their strategy definitely brought to mind Megs and the Vehicon drones prior to the arrival of the Generals, although that's probably just coincidence.
Oh good, I wasn't the only one who thought of that. Frankly, with all the reference-dropping Animated does, I was surprised to NOT hear some sort of direct callback to BM for that bit.