formal motion to ban

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Dominic
Supreme-Class

formal motion to ban

Post by Dominic »

I move that we permanently ban the following members due to their actions in the "Hall of Fame" thread.

-locustreign
-bigPete
-Gen. Magnus
-gusKD
-Convoy105
-StarSabreJames
-bustajesse

I also recommend that we either block new members for the duration of the vote or that we restrict voting to members with over 25 posts. (I would have said 50, but Tigermegatron is a legit member who only has 30 posts.)

Dom
-because we do not need members who live down to stereotypes.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: formal motion to ban

Post by Onslaught Six »

I think this is excessive. We already nixed their votes, I think that's enough. They're contributing members elsewhere, and I don't want to be the kind of community that bans members for mediocre offenses. For example: what Synjo was doing (arguing for the sake of arguing and also at times outright insulting veteran members) was arguably far worse than skewing results for an official Hasbro poll, but we didn't (and to my knowledge, still haven't) ban him. (We just...made it uncomfortable for him to come here, I guess. He was outnumbered.)

If they never come back, so be it. But if they do want to come back and maybe actually contribute, I say we don't let anything stop them.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Here is my reasoning, as posted in the discussion thread.
Hasbro is trying to give us a chance to have a good time and let themselves get some market research done. (I have no doubt that Jazz's strong showing last year played a role in the toy we got at the end of '10.) Shit like putting Erector or Dinobot over defeats any good purpose the "Hall of Fame" might have.
I am fine with having an open forum. But, we do not need that kind of self-indulgent prickery.

think this is excessive. We already nixed their votes, I think that's enough. They're contributing members elsewhere, and I don't want to be the kind of community that bans members for mediocre offenses. For example: what Synjo was doing (arguing for the sake of arguing and also at times outright insulting veteran members) was arguably far worse than skewing results for an official Hasbro poll, but we didn't (and to my knowledge, still haven't) ban him. (
As the person who had the biggest problem with Synjo, I want to say that it was not that I was a moderator, or even had the highest post count that was the problem. The problem with Synjo is that he was, and likely still is, an idiot man-child with an unreasonable attachment to fictional characters. My 4000+ post count does not give me the right to slap around new members for no reason any more than the fact I was a moderator would have.

I would argue what the new members are doing is worse. Synjo was a lone jack-ass who liked to cause trouble. But, ultimately, he had little impact on this forum, let alone the hobby as a whole. What these guys are trying to do is steer a part of the hobby in the most self-indulgent possible way. Their impact on the hobby could well be real, and is not something we need to be associated with.

Dom
-there are Joe fans who are more mature than
-locustreign
-bigPete
-Gen. Magnus
-gusKD
-Convoy105
-StarSabreJames
-bustajesse
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Wouldn't JT ultimately have to make the call?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That is why I am framing this as a "motion to ban". Of course, "motion" implies more of a procedure than we have, or really likely want to develop. After all, we have never had this question come up until the 7 simpletons arrived.

I already wrote to JT and requested that he ban said fucktards.

Dom
-would have locked their accounts already.
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

Gotta say I'm with Dom on this one. They're spammers who aren't going to contribute anything worthwhile to this community, and they're probably never coming back again anyway. It would be different if they showed up, made a few posts and THEN voted for Erector. Well, maybe not even then...
I disappear.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Motion for a roll-call vote.

Dom
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

Before that happens, if any of you new folks are still around, let me at least pose some legitimate questions.

Why do you like Erector? Is he a character that inspired you somehow? Was he the coolest TF you owned as a kid, or maybe your first? Was he special to you somehow? Do you even know his function? His REAL function. :roll:

That's what this Hall of Fame vote is about. A chance to make an official recognition of what you love about Transformers. I dig toilet humor as much as the next guy, but to turn this whole process into a chance to show how immature you are is damned insulting to everyone else here, and to everyone taking the time to cast a legitimate vote.
I disappear.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Then I say it is survival of the fittest!

All in favour?

Aye!

All opposed?

Naaaay!

*throws various Seekers and Insecticons out of Astrotrain*

In seriousness: If we are having a formal motion to ban, then I vote Against because come on dude they're probably never going to come back again. We've already discounted their votes and we've already verbally berated them and made it clear that we dislike what they're doing. To ban them would be excessive.

And no, what they're doing *isn't* worse than what Synjo (or even Deathy) is doing. They came in and voted joke votes in a poll. That is all. They're not insulting us. They're not ruthlessly spamming with Prozac ads or anything like that. And, honestly, they're probably not going to even be here to defend themselves or their actions.

We've all done our share of dumb things in the past. Just at the various BWTFs alone, I can recall that 86 used to post with terrible spelling, grammar, no punctuation, and didn't use two line breaks--until I told him, hey, knock that shit off, and uh...somehow he did. Once I put the entire lyrics to some song or other in my signature, making it take up an entire page (even at the smallest text setting). BWTF used to let you set your text colour and some people would use the most annoying shade of bright green. And sometimes, people voted in polls with joke votes.*

You're taking it way too seriously, Dom. What they did was (a little) messed up, but we already discredited the votes, told them not to do that, and made it known that we don't appreciate that kind of behaviour. A ban is not warranted in this case. What you're calling for is practically a public lynching. I don't think we need that; I think what we've already done is enough.

One thing I've always liked about the attitude we have here is that we *aren't* the kind of place to resort to moderative or administrative action to deal with our minor social issues. When we have a problem here, we talk it out using our words and our minds. We don't just go, "I don't like your opinion or that you posted this, so I'm going to close the thread and suspend you for a week. And also, your mother is a whore and I fucked her dirty twat with my fat cock last night." There are many places where that kind of thing isn't just the norm--it's expected. I used to run a forum that ran like that, and I was actually more or less the main reason it got that attitude in the first place. And then I realized I didn't like that attitude and I left--and that forum still carries on that attitude to this day. I have seen members of that forum *banned* because they posted questions asking for help in the 'wrong section of the forum.' I have seen member accounts deactivated or deleted because they "didn't have enough posts" or "don't contribute enough" and the more I see it, the more and more it makes me sick.

I don't want this place to be like that. We had a problem with the words and actions of these new members, and we already discredited their votes and I think you alone have done enough verbal beration for the rest of us. We don't need to ban them. They're already not coming back.

*I couldn't find a way to work this in to the earlier bit but I also wanted to mention that we're the only board I've seen so far where we even have a chance for someone to vote for Erector as a final vote. TFW and several other forums are running it that you simply nominated a TF to end up in a much more simple final poll, and to me that's a lot more restrictive. Here, someone like Barricade might actually have a chance.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I see what you are saying about not wanting the boards to be over-moderated. And, I agree in principle. Nobody wants this place to turn into YoJoe.com, where deviations from the orthodoxy get deleted and occassionally get users banned/suspended. (Even if you agree with the orthodoxy of the board, conversations are still limited.)

But, this is not about how they voted, it is *why* they voted the way they did. You and I disagree about which characters should make Hasbro's cut. You and I think that Barricade and Lockdown should make the cut, with less difference between the reasoning than one might expect. (We both recognize that newer characters can have staying power.) You happen to like Prowl, I happen to support Mirage. Our reasoning there differes a bit. But, in neither case is it "wouldn't it be wacky if if....".

The "boost Erector" vote is an attempt to put a minor character, based on a forgettable toy from a low point in the frachise's history, over....because he name is an unintentional dick joke. This is more obnoxious than Willis putting Dinobot over. As much of a glam-whoring drama queen as Willis can be, he legitimately likes Dinobot. And, when I put aside my (not entirely rational) dislike of "Beast Wars", I can admit that Dinobot was a legitimately important character that arguably contributed to the franchise surviving at all.

Voting for Erector is an act of self-indulgence that all of the fans will have to live with. This is not completely unlike the shit that the AllSpark pulled back in the BWTF days, when we had the "pick a recolour for Blurr" vote.

The reason this is worse than Synjo's drama-whoring is that these guys are trying to tip an official part of the franchise to suit their own whimsy. Synjo is an obnoxious and self-important ass. He is incapable of having a mature conversation. But, he was not trying to hijack the franchise in any way.
Once I put the entire lyrics to some song or other in my signature, making it take up an entire page
You were 14 or so? That is a factor.

These guys are acting 14.

There is a difference between over-moderating a forum and keeping it clean. We can still have an open forum without suffering idiots. Look at most of my conversations with Sparky. Aside from the time he pounced on me in a public restroom and flushed my head down the toilet, (which I kind of deserved after the drop kick to the groin that I gave him), things are generally civil. Yeah, he eggs my house on occasion, and I got him banned from a few local pizza places, but that is all in good fun. The anti-freeze in his Kool-Aid was a bit out of line. But, so was the rusty nail on the floor near my bed where my feet go in the morning. (In case it needs pointing out, Sparky and I have never actually met.)

Voting for Erector is not a difference of opinion. It is being a jack-ass.
dig toilet humor as much as the next guy,
I saw that last night, and had no reply beyond "oh yeah?"....

But, then, while falling asleep in the wee hours of the morning, inspiration came to me...and I bastardized a Taylor Swift song.

________

You do not like potty humour as much as I do!

You make fart jokes...I photograph feces.
You South Park...I joke about buggery.

I make you skeeeeezed. I make you skeeeezed. I make you skeezed.

When your in a bathroom, you laugh at rude sounds.
But, then I take pictures of what I found...a big old stinky pile of old poo!

You make fart jokes, I photograph feces.
You like South Park, I joke about buggery.

You think your fillllthy! You think your filllllthy!
You got nothin' on me!
________

Dom
-really came up with that song last night.