Main page not working

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Main page not working

Post by Onslaught Six »

Trying to load the front page sometimes results in an error. I forgot to screencap it but if I see it again I'll post it here.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Main page not working

Post by Onslaught Six »

Still happening sometimes! It's just a white page with this:

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=http://www.tfviews.com/news/"
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Hmm, that's odd. That's the site's hardcoded redirect page which forwards the index to the news page. It is not a generated file but a permanent one, measured in bytes as 72 bytes, small enough that I could literally hand-code the binary of it (576 bits, which really isn't that much). Is that the only page you have problems on? Your browser appears to be missing the very last character of the code, some or all of that final 8 bits is not making it, which is ultra unusual.

Since you're the only one seeing it, my guess is it's not server-side, but user-side, either your internet service provider has a hate-on for us, or more likely one time there was a premature disconnect and your browser cached it. Next time you see it, hit ctrl+F5 (Firefox or IE) and that should dump that file permanently.

If it still happens, LMK, and I'll see if there is anything I can do server-side to assist, or see if there are any noteworthy premature disconnects in the stats (mark the exact time), it's possible your ISP is prematurely terminating the connection, if that's the case I can try to code in something extra to address it.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I dunno. I do know that it only appears to happen at work using IE8, so.

Usually when that comes up, refreshing it seems to fix it, so I dunno.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:I dunno. I do know that it only appears to happen at work using IE8, so.

Usually when that comes up, refreshing it seems to fix it, so I dunno.
Hmm, only on 1 browser in 1 location, suggests service provider and/or software, possibly something trying to make sure the redirect doesn't damage your work computers (my redirect is benign, many are not). Are you bookmarked, or typing it in?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Always typing it in.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, thanks for the info. I don't want to make you type "tfviews.com/forums" every time, it'd work, bypassing the redirect, but it's relatively laborious. I wonder if the file is so small that it's being cut off at the last character. When I get home, I will rewrite the file to pad it out a bit and see if that helps.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am getting the error message as well.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Oh, holy crap, now so am I! It's a system designed to speed up page serves to end users, designed by google no less. Mother f'er! I have changed the file to be more robust as I mentioned in my previous post, and will talk to the host about this. Please let me know right away if you see this problem again, and what the message says exactly.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, so I talked to the host about this, at first they thought what I did, browser issue, but after I pressed the matter, they were able to replicate the issue the way I did. They poked around and found no flaws, found no issues in the serve log either, everything showed fine. I don't think took my idea about the google accelerator seriously, but they also don't know what the issue is. They did however give me a far superior workaround which will negate the need for a redirect file, so there is that.