Weird "skipping" issue

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Weird "skipping" issue

Post by Onslaught Six »

This is something that a couple of us have experienced. For some reason when a post fills the entire text box window, the window refuses to scroll after that. You can still type in it, it's just painfully difficult to do.

I've been composing long posts in Notepad and pasting them into the text box (a simple solution) but some people don't do that and I figure it's better to fix the problem.

If you're experiencing this: What browser are you using? I'm using IE at work (Shutup! They won't let me install Firefox) and that's where I've experienced it. That might be part of the issue. JT? Any suggestions?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Weird "skipping" issue

Post by Dominic »

I am getting on with IE, on both Windows 6 and 7.

Dom
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

It's a bug in IE8's caching system (which MS of course claims isn't their fault but magically every page's fault instead). I've added a line of code to the forums so that any version of IE8 visiting the forums will automatically run it in compatibility mode which bypasses the issue for you poor, poor souls stuck using the devil's browser. I've tested it to ensure operability, but LMK if any problems arise from this change.

Alternately, you could run a portable version of Firefox or Google Chrome from a flash drive, if your work allows that sort of thing. The portable version runs directly from the drive, no install needed, and you don't have to share your cookies, bookmarks, history, or cached info with anybody else.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I doubt I could get away with that. Hopefully, the line of code you added will solve the problem.

Thanks.

Dom
-figures it is only a matter of time before there is a chance to test that theory.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I doubt I could get away with that. Hopefully, the line of code you added will solve the problem.

Thanks.

Dom
-figures it is only a matter of time before there is a chance to test that theory.
Well, it's an IE8 issue, and I've already put the fix for it into the system, so if you're forced to use IE8, it's not a problem. Still, I'd like to avoid ever having to boot IE again, hence the portable drive advice.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It works.

Dom
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Cheers JT, I had to read O6's post twice before I realised I've been having the same problem. I'm not what you'd call "techno-savvy", so I just shrugged it off as a necessary evil. =/ It's ignorance like mine that lets problems become normalised!
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I am glad to hear it. I only wish you guys had told me earlier so you wouldn't have to suffer any frustration at all.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:This is something that a couple of us have experienced. For some reason when a post fills the entire text box window, the window refuses to scroll after that. You can still type in it, it's just painfully difficult to do.

I've been composing long posts in Notepad and pasting them into the text box (a simple solution) but some people don't do that and I figure it's better to fix the problem.

If you're experiencing this: What browser are you using? I'm using IE at work (Shutup! They won't let me install Firefox) and that's where I've experienced it. That might be part of the issue. JT? Any suggestions?
Yeah, I have the same problem. I just use Firefox for longer posts, though that doesn't help you. Oddly enough, Explorer worked fine at work, just not at home. I thought I had the same version, but maybe not.

Edit: and I see JT's fixed it. That's good to know.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I hadn't experienced it much, since most of my longer posts (like my reviews) were composed in Microsoft Works ahead of time. But I do know the issue you guys are talking about, and I think I was getting a variation of it (I use Opera), where I just had to scroll manually as I typed. It wasn't a total deal-breaker, but thanks for taking care of things, JT!