Should I tighten up the forums?

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Should I tighten up the forums?

Post by Onslaught Six »

I think you mean "newcummer."

Oh God this thread has degenerated.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:We have newcomers?
We don't, but some day we might.
It's just, like, I really feel like what we have now is good. It's streamlined and emphasises function 'and' form. Any newcomers who show up are able to quickly be initiated just by having a look around. It's not the bloated, huge mess that a forum like TFW2005 or TFormers is.
Well, I'm trying to keep it streamlined, that's the intent here.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:
It's annoying that we have 68 members, but only about ten to fifteen of us post regularly.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:
JediTricks wrote:
It's annoying that we have 68 members, but only about ten to fifteen of us post regularly.
Unfortunately, as a group we are a bit cliquish in how we communicate with each other. And we don't seek out new blood too well.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Are we really? I mean, new people who do show up tend to be welcomed and if they can integrate well, then there it goes.

I think that's just the way we operate, mind. It's why I don't post at TFW or somewhere else. The atmosphere sucks. (Read the comments on some of those movie threads sometime. They actually think Megan Fox and that other chick are attractive.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I post at TFW sometimes, but I just hate all the faux modding that goes on over there. People jump in your shit for stupid stuff. Case in point, one guy started a thread asking people what characters they'd wanna see as DLC in WFC. The first like, 8 responses were from people bitching at him for not using the search function to find similar threads or not spending hours on end trudging through the forums to make sure he wasn't duplicate threading. None of the replies were from anyone that was a Mod, super mod or admin. I went on an epic rant to that effect, then answered the damned question the thread was really about. After that, the thread was on track. But still, that practice is just way to prevalent over there.
/rant.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Fox is actually pretty good looking. But, either way, that has no practical impact on us here. (I have a better chance of getting BC2010 Sideswipe than having a real shot at Fox, so whatever.)

I can see what JT means by us being cliquish. We all clearly know each other. We use screen names here as a courtesy, and to keep others from knowing us. I know the real names, and addresses, of most of the people on this forum. (This has nothing to do with me being a former moderator.) And, most of you guys know *my* name.

That can be intimidating. We are not like other forums, (TF or otherwise), in the sense that we abuse new members. And, yes, we do welcome them. But, we also run on a tremendous amount of assumed knowledge.

That said, does anyone have any ideas for reaching out?
People jump in your shit for stupid stuff.
Splurguuush.....

Dom
-has already made suggestions for streamlining the forums.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:Are we really? I mean, new people who do show up tend to be welcomed and if they can integrate well, then there it goes.

I think that's just the way we operate, mind. It's why I don't post at TFW or somewhere else. The atmosphere sucks. (Read the comments on some of those movie threads sometime. They actually think Megan Fox and that other chick are attractive.)
I'm not saying we're intentionally TRYING to be cliquish, it's just that our nature has drawn us together, given us a sort of shorthand, and that has made it less approachable. Plus, a lot of you guys have this "us vs them" mentality about forums like that TFW2k5 thing right there. The catch-22 is that the cure is the same thing keeping it from happening: fresh blood.

Dom is dead wrong about Megan Fox, especially in her current, emaciated form and her last few tattoos. I've seen her in person at SDCC last year, she's attractive but too much makeup and forehead, quite short, and not a knockout by any stretch.

That said, Dom's ideas for "streamlining" the forums mostly involve adding way more forums and separating things by arbitrary aspects, so I can't back him on that either. ;)
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have not seen her recently, and never in person. Ah well, I have no real stake in this, (badbingiggitygoo!).

How are my divisions arbitrary?
Media tie-ins:
-movies/cartoons
-comics/novels
-videogames

Toys:
-Generation 1 (1984-1992) Generation 2 ('94-95)
-Beast Era (1995-2002: Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise and Machine Wars)
-Unicron Trilogy (2002-2006: Armada, Energon, Cybertron)
-Movie/Animated (2007 to current)
-Iterative lines (not defined by year, includes Classics, Universe, Generations, "Transformers" and various re-issues lines, along with secondary and tertiary lines: Alternators, Masterpiece, Legends, Heroes of Cybertron, Robot Hereos, Crossovers, whatever....)

General:
-Open Discussion
-Comments and Questions.
-Sightings/Buying/Selling/Trading

I do agree that we might consider easing off the smack-talking other forums.

Dom
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Here's a thought that'd actually streamline things a bit. The whole "Masterpiece/Alternators" forum could probably do fine merged with G1. I know technically they're not G1 toys, but they're toys of G1 characters, so it sort of works.

I mean, "Masterpiece Movie Starscream" is already getting discussion in the movie forums, and other than that all the Masterpiece guys have been G1 and all. I dunno, just a thought.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.