moving RiD out of AEC

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: moving RiD out of AEC

Post by Dominic »

You have a good singing/speaking voice actually. And, the accent would add character. If we could get 86 and Gomess in on this, the accents would nicely play up our global angle.

Too bad we have not heard from Rikkomba or Vince in so long. I imagine they both speak English, (based on their posting here, but that could be through a translator program), and it would add two countries to our roster, inluding one that is rarely heard from in many fandoms.

Dom
-so tired.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

What's a midwest cracker sound like? MST3k makes lots of midwest references... Do you sound like Joel or Mike?? =o

...Oh hell, Rikkomba! He was Irish, right?

My accent's actually a bit odd, 'cos my parents were from opposite sides of the country. Do you guys know what a Geordie sounds like....? >_>
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Rikkomba was from Italy.

Vince was from Saudi Arabia.

Dom
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dangit, who was the Irish guy??
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

You might be thinking of Rose. And, Starath was Canadian if I recall.

Dom
-we need the international team back!
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:You might be thinking of Rose.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Maybe.

Yeah, what'd we do to drive away my fellow ferriners?

We even lost Synjo, our only representative from Farthing Wood. =[
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Dominic wrote:You might be thinking of Rose. And, Starath was Canadian if I recall.
You got it half right. Kittie Rose was Irish, I think Gomess was thinking of another dude. I cannot for the life of me remember his name, though. He only posted a few times, if I'm recalling right.

Also, Skywarp17 was Canadian, and I think...Op-T, maybe? But Starath's from Minnesota, which, while a frozen northern wasteland, is still part of the US.

--138 "Remembers all this but has no idea where his W-2s are" Scourge
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote:Offsite has the disadvantage of giving away some of our traffic though, so it's something that definitely needs to be discussed more to weigh the pros and cons.
Your call, as it is.
Skype has a built-in recorder and a plugin to create podcasts right from the conversation, seems a lot easier than whipping out high-quality recording equipment since it has an adjustable quality level based on bandwidth available which even at medium is far above phone quality (which is heavily truncated). The mic I use for when I skype for work is just my Playstation 2 USB mic, it's a logitech and sounds quite decent, very clear. USB headsets are out of vogue so they run around $30, but regular 3.5mm jack input headsets are also available.
You're implying that my decent studio mics and everything aren't already wired into my computer. I never record to tape or to any kind of crazy external device--all digital, right into my computer, so essentially all I have is a really good sounding computer mic.
We also need new smilies. I've been thinking of doing TF-themed ones, I'd need to make them though and while I am fully competent in dropping pixels into small spaces, I don't actually know how I'd convey a smilie with a robot face, much less a dozen of them.
I'm a decent pixel artist!
JT later wrote:Ads are not in the immediate future.
When they are, I'm totally paying for an ad on here. For my own music. Worst investment ever.
If you did some reporting in the news, I could use the podcast and the news to get you into any convention on the east coast that has any TF connection via a press badge. I met a nice reporter from a Star Wars podcasting site last year at Comic-Con, their group really made a meal out of podcasting from the con.
Aw, snap, there's that too. I'd love to get in on that in the future. TFViews, live from Botcon! Sort of!

We could also always reach out to other people from other forums, etc. to get guests on the podcast.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:The divisions would be between the lines themselves. The problem with the "then/now" format is that everything from "now" ends up "then".
C'est la vie, really.
My biggest problem with RiD being in the UT section is that it simply does not belong there of all places. The engineering and designs are completely different. They are closer to each-other than the movie is to either. But, that is a low bar to set. But, RiD looks right on a shelf with late BW and BM.
Pretty subjective IMO. Plus, I really don't think that's true of anything but the Car Brothers in that line (discounting the beast-era repaints, of course). Any other arguments?
I really do not think the problem is on our end. We busted ass a few months back to write questions that conformed to their guidelines....and they still screwed us. They are still farming it out to that outside firm, right? That firm might not have the relevant information, and chooses to give non-answers rather than good answers.
I totally agree it's not us, it's them. Hunter PR only does the organizing, Hasbro's team leaders do the actual answering (or forward it to the correct member of the team).
But they could see it!
Are you threatening us?
Remember, I actually went with the T-Mobile Dash. It is like a cheaper Blackberry. It has all the funtionality. The problem is that I went with an older model. I am pretty sure it used an old style of battery. For a while, I was charging it wrong, (too often), which may have brought me up to the 1,000 mark. I want to get another battery or two, (already bought one), if only to extend the life of this phone. (I *really* like it, as it works nicely for everything I need it to do, and for things I just think are fun.)
"Remember"? I had no idea! If you had told me you were getting the Dash, I would have talked you into the Sidekick instead, despite it being... limited in scope. The Dash runs Windows Mobile, which not only sucks eggs and is a battery hog, but is being phased out this year so no more app development soon. You need a real blackberry, or an Android smartphone. Damn that sucks about yer phone.
A mobile option for this page might not be a bad idea. I read somewhere that phones either are, or soon will be, the most common tool people use to get online.
Well, right now we're an extremely light forum view, I think our render time is pretty good. ... Ok, I just checked on the awful WAP browser that comes on my non-smartphone and the page looks alright, as good as I could expect from a WAP browser, but I've gotten so used to Opera Mini (the browser for dumbphones) that I didn't realize we could do better. There's print view, but that's not realistic. I've found some alternate templates, but inserting them into the system will be a bit challenging right now, so I'll keep looking. In the meantime, since I've gone through the trouble of doing that, I ask that you try Opera Mobile for your Dash: http://www.opera.com/mini/download/t-mobile/dash/

Onslaught Six wrote:Your call, as it is.
I'm trying not to make it "my" call but discuss the options and see what works best.
You're implying that my decent studio mics and everything aren't already wired into my computer. I never record to tape or to any kind of crazy external device--all digital, right into my computer, so essentially all I have is a really good sounding computer mic.
No, I'm implying that not only are none of the rest of us at your computer, but YOU aren't even at that equipment right now. :p
I'm a decent pixel artist!
If you have or just want to start producing them, post what you come up with.
When they are, I'm totally paying for an ad on here. For my own music. Worst investment ever.
Woo, presold 1 ad for 2012, and I get that catchy quote for the webmasters page, "TFviews.com advertising - 'Worst Investment Ever.'". ;)
Aw, snap, there's that too. I'd love to get in on that in the future. TFViews, live from Botcon! Sort of!
LMK if you're serious about that. We have a couple months left, I definitely can't afford to go unless I win the lottery in the next couple weeks, so I've not contacted them about us sending someone but we could. Won't get you any of the freebies though, and Press Badge means "free entrance and NOTHING ELSE", but still. :p
We could also always reach out to other people from other forums, etc. to get guests on the podcast.
Sure, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote:"Remember"? I had no idea! If you had told me you were getting the Dash, I would have talked you into the Sidekick instead, despite it being... limited in scope. The Dash runs Windows Mobile, which not only sucks eggs and is a battery hog, but is being phased out this year so no more app development soon. You need a real blackberry, or an Android smartphone. Damn that sucks about yer phone.
Get 86 in here, he loves all this geeky phone talk.
No, I'm implying that not only are none of the rest of us at your computer, but YOU aren't even at that equipment right now. :p
I'm aware of that. :p But I will be in a few weeks, which is likely how long it'd take to get this off the ground and everything. Also, my mic and everything will work with Skype, so. :P
If you have or just want to start producing them, post what you come up with.
I'll see what I can conjure up this week, maybe.
Woo, presold 1 ad for 2012, and I get that catchy quote for the webmasters page, "TFviews.com advertising - 'Worst Investment Ever.'". ;)
Only because you guys all already know about my shitty music project. :P
LMK if you're serious about that. We have a couple months left, I definitely can't afford to go unless I win the lottery in the next couple weeks, so I've not contacted them about us sending someone but we could. Won't get you any of the freebies though, and Press Badge means "free entrance and NOTHING ELSE", but still. :p
I can't afford to go either. Unless that includes free plane ride down. Which I doubt it does. :P Always next year, depending.
Sure, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
Right. Just throwing stuff out.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.