New TFV icon in your URL bar

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
JediTricks
Site Admin

New TFV icon in your URL bar

Post by JediTricks »

And by "new" I mean I created it a year and a half ago and never bothered to figure out why it wasn't working until now. That's also why it's kind of hideous, it was really shoot-from-the-hip stuff. But there it is, all shiny. It's supposed to be a a "TF" and then a "V" but the 16 color limitation of .ico files meant that the V turned orange on a somewhat orange background (IIRC, that's the Universe 2 background, but at 16 pixels square, you really won't get that idea). But, it's at least something.

You should already be seeing it, but if you aren't, you will when you restart your browser next time and load the site via URL bar or bookmark.

Apparently, I can do some sort of transparency, I should retool it to at least have that.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: New TFV icon in your URL bar

Post by JediTricks »

There is a chance that you won't see it even on reload if you're using Firefox. Firefox caches the original file and since it used to be an incorrect file, it would load a blank. If you want to see this "masterpiece" in action, go to the actual location and do a reload, that will take care of it:
http://www.tfviews.com/favicon.ico

I just changed it to have rounded corners (via transparency) and changed the orange to red. Here's the previous version:
http://www.tfviews.com/favicon-old.ico

EDIT: or I could just cut away the background altogether and leave the TFV. I'm not sure I dig it though, here's the one with no background at all:
http://www.tfviews.com/favicon-clear.ico
I don't think it has any personality this way, which is odd because the one with the background, ya can't really make out what it is.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

It's not showing up on my browser at work. I've got IE7 here, I think. I use Firefox at home, so I'll see if the icon shows up there. It looks good when I click on the link though, so nice work.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:It's not showing up on my browser at work. I've got IE7 here, I think. I use Firefox at home, so I'll see if the icon shows up there. It looks good when I click on the link though, so nice work.
I forgot, with IE it only loads once you've bookmarked a site. This is true of every site, Google on down.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I like it. And, actually, despite the size, I was able to tell it was supposed to invoke the Universe 2 colour scheme. (Now if the rest of the site matched it...)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Yeah, I caught on to the color scheme too JT, give yourself more credit, it looks good. For the record, I'm using Opera, and it's showing up just fine. Cool deal.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:I like it. And, actually, despite the size, I was able to tell it was supposed to invoke the Universe 2 colour scheme. (Now if the rest of the site matched it...)
If the rest of the site matched, we'd have a carbon copy of the official TF site from last year, which I want to avoid. I have an idea for another look, but it's a theme for the news, and needs tweaking even there, so it'd need a full overhaul for the forums. But check it:

BWprowl wrote:Yeah, I caught on to the color scheme too JT, give yourself more credit, it looks good. For the record, I'm using Opera, and it's showing up just fine. Cool deal.
Killer, I guess I have the right crew for that sucka then. I really am surprised it sold this well, I think the orange-V one wouldn't have carried though. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear it's working with Opera, I don't test for Opera because its market share is pretty low (same with Safari), but I use Opera Mini on my phone and should have checked it there.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:I like it. And, actually, despite the size, I was able to tell it was supposed to invoke the Universe 2 colour scheme. (Now if the rest of the site matched it...)
If the rest of the site matched, we'd have a carbon copy of the official TF site from last year, which I want to avoid. I have an idea for another look, but it's a theme for the news, and needs tweaking even there, so it'd need a full overhaul for the forums. But check it:

That's going somewhere. Right now it looks a bit too generic-Photoshop-burst for my tastes, but it's something.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:That's going somewhere. Right now it looks a bit too generic-Photoshop-burst for my tastes, but it's something.
Well, the first thing I'd do is drop our logo over the burst. The theme preview system doesn't include my customized header. But someone pointed out to me that it's only 688 wide, which is unacceptably narrow, so I'll need to give it some more thought, and I think I'll keep looking.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Hey, the logo is finally showing up in the URL bar. It does look good, though the V could stand a little more contrast with the background, I think. The TF stands out, but the V isn't as distinct.