Search function nerfed?

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Search function nerfed?

Post by Onslaught Six »

Not sure if I'm the first one to try and use it, but searching for anything on the forum tells me that the words I entered are generic and left out of the search. It happened while I was searching for the "What are you listening to?" topic. Out of curiosity, I entered Starscream (certainly not a generic word) and it told me 'that' was generic so it left it out. So, end result, search doesn't work.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Search function nerfed?

Post by JediTricks »

That is the system's proper behavior, "Starscream" is too common a word on our forums, the existing setting is if it's at least 5% of the posts. If you searched "Dune" as in Dune Runner, it'd give you results, but we say starscream that much. I've changed it to 10%, let's see if that works. EDIT: Nope, that word is just too common. Let's see what Google says...
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3At ... =firefox-a
383 results. Yeah, that's a lot.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Huh. I had no idea. Tried it out with a more narrow word (Twitter, for those wondering) and got some success, so that's that I guess. Good to know, anyway.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I set it even higher, 15%, but still could not get it to work. Man, that's a lot of posts with the word "starscream"! I tried it with "Decepticon" and that brought up 280 results, and "Optimus" which brought up 320, but "prime" was too common as well, so it's definitely a big deal.

Anyway, you can always have google search an entire site (unless it uses no-follow tags, which we don't) by using "site:tfviews.com" (no quotes) at the beginning of any google search followed by your desired phrase.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

And yet only 15 results for house elf gang bang, thanks mostly to Dom and Scourge. Course, that doesn't count sigs.

Dang, make that 16 now. :lol: