Trying out new anti-spambot thing

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
JediTricks
Site Admin

Trying out new anti-spambot thing

Post by JediTricks »

They have to enter a specific number in the profile system. I chose one important to TF.

I also added a pulldown question, hopefully that should stem the tide.

Apparently, the captcha this board software currently uses has been cracked by spambot authors.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Trying out new anti-spambot thing

Post by Dominic »

Ah, this is better than admin approval.

Dom
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Trying out new anti-spambot thing

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:Ah, this is better than admin approval.

Dom
Yup, 100% different. Where I would have gotten a dozen submissions overnight, I have received zero. We are bot-free for now. I've set it back so new users can register themselves without admin approval.

If the bots break through this one, we could start using a moderation queue for new users, under X posts they have to be verified by the mods. The only thing I don't like about that is that it leaves them in our membership roster and they usually include their spam URL in their profile.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?