Spoiler code tag

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
JediTricks
Site Admin

Spoiler code tag

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, so I've created a new piece of BB code, it's right there on the editor bar as well, it's a spoiler tag system. When used around spoiler code, it will created the "spoiler" warning and explanation about highlighting to read it. Here's an example:

Using this... [spoiler]It's as simple as that![/spoiler] creates...
Spoiler
It's as simple as that!

If you have any suggestions for changes, LMK.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Spoiler code tag

Post by Dominic »

This is useful.

Dom
-remember the old way of doing this.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I actually had visions of crafting a mouseover or click-to-view system, I basically know the coding that would be required, but I've never implimented it before and I didn't really want to get into a meaty project when something simple yet effective could do the trick just as well.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, so I've revamped the spoiler system a little, now you don't have to highlight to read, merely mouse-over. I'll demonstrate...
Spoiler
Black Ice isn't half-bad for a Brian Johnson-AC/DC album

Pretty keen, right? It can also be done inline, so
Spoiler
this part is a spoiler
and this part is not. The spoiler pre-text is customizable, and I may just dump it in favor of a background image that says "spoiler", but for now it works.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Very nice. I like it.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Spoiler
Bibbitty bibbity boosh.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I didn't think about this until late last night, but the spoiler tag isn't readable on certain mobile formats, especially the iphone OS, because they have no hover states (no cursors). I believe it also makes highlighting not reveal the text (it can be copied but it doesn't display different colored characters), so the old way was out too. Is anybody running into this problem yet, or is it an issue we can wait on?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I think Scourge posts from mobile sometimes. The way I see it, though, it's not an issue--we barely use the tags as it is, and only because there's rarely anything we're too concerned about spoiling.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Yeah, I don't do any mobile browsing, so it's not a problem for me. And while O6 is right, and we don't use spoiler tags a whole lot, I like these mouse-over ones a bunch anyway, if only because they're like the ones on
Spoiler
4chan
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I was thinking
Spoiler
TVTropes.