Won't stay logged in

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Won't stay logged in

Post by Onslaught Six »

Since unemployment, I've been using the forum from home, which is something I generally never did otherwise. I've noticed that the board seems to log me out after long stretches of time--even though every time I go in, I check the "Keep me logged in" box. I never had this problem on my work computer using IE8, I'm using Firefox13 here.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Won't stay logged in

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:Since unemployment, I've been using the forum from home, which is something I generally never did otherwise. I've noticed that the board seems to log me out after long stretches of time--even though every time I go in, I check the "Keep me logged in" box. I never had this problem on my work computer using IE8, I'm using Firefox13 here.
Sorry to hear about being de-jobbed.

It could be a corrupted cookie, I'm also using FF13 and having no problems staying logged in. Try removing all the site cookies in the cookie manager: Options > Options > Privacy > Show Cookies

Does it happen only when you are writing replies, or reading pages?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It happened when I was typing a (very long) reply and also if I just leave the site for an extended period. Maybe it was just a glitch though, since when I came back just now, I was still logged in.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I think we had a thread about this before, but I cannot find it.

For the reply window, that is the behavior for any form on the site, it times users out after 2 hours (I just checked the settings). I'll change that to 3 hours, but it's a security measure so it should be there. If you are concerned that you might risk a timeout after 3 hours, just open another tab going anywhere in the forums and it'll reactivate. If you submit a post and it says you're timed out, just reload the page and your browser will ask you to resubmit, when you say yes to that action it'll already be logged back in automatically and handle it properly.

For other pages, only a very select type of page should behave that way, one with a unique path in the URL bar (a string of 2 dozen characters, I believe), and after a while if that page is still open and you try to go somewhere on it, that unique ID path is no longer valid so it gets confused.

If you're still having problems and those didn't cover it, clear cookies for the site, try again, then LMK.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?