I finally figured out why I don't like Prime

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

I finally figured out why I don't like Prime

Post by Onslaught Six »

It's just so damn 'bland.'

Say what you will about the Michael Bay movies, they at least produce a response. (Usually disgust for most people.) I watch episodes of Prime (I've watched several, none in any particular order because it doesn't seem to matter to me) and I just...it's just not interesting or new at all.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: I finally figured out why I don't like Prime

Post by Shockwave »

It's really hit and miss for me. Occassionally there is a really great episode (almost any episode with Starscream as the focus is pure win) but mostly it's just... meh. And there's so much that I don't like about it that seems to creep into almost every episode. Like Miko's suicidal retardation and the lack of noses.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

See, "Starscream does things" isn't even a draw for me because, most of the time, Starscream is boring. He wants to rule the Decepticons. Why? Because he doesn't already lead them. Reign of Starscream managed to make him an interesting character but most of the time it seems like the only reason Starscream wants to lead is the fact that he already isn't. Once he actually had leadership, he wouldn't even know what to do (which Costa showed us already!).
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

It goes deeper than that in Prime. I think Starscream wants to get out from under Megatron's shadow. It's like he's stuck in the "second in command" position and doesn't see any possibilities for where his life and career will go without getting rid of Megatron. And while he lead for quite a while during Megatron's absence, he still had to walk a fine line between actually leading while not acting irreverently towards the memory of Megatron. And that fine line made for some really decent Starscream stories. And then in "Partners" he's left in a position where he can't go back to the Decepticons and can't join the Autobots so he's left to make it on his own without either faction. It actually should be pretty interesting to see where they take that.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I'm with O6 on this one. About the show itself, not necessarily about Starscream. It's just a Transformers show that doesn't give me any reason to watch it. And man, it's got friggin' Transfomers in it, that oughtta be a draw there. But it isn't. So far, nothing in the stories has really grabbed me. I like Bulkhead, and I like Knock-Out, but other than that, there's nothing that great happening here. I mean, nothing great other than the casting for Ratchet, that was inspired.

Also, this show just looks godawful. My girlfriend was flipping though the channels one night, and stopped on "Prime" because she thought I'd want to watch it. Despite my begging her to change the station, she wound up staying on it for a minute, fascinated in a sort of train-wreck way with how crappy the animation looks. I think she's likely comparing it to Pixar and the like, which obviously is gonna look better, but the point remains that the show just looks rough.

So yeah, I got behind on watching it and realized I had no motivation to catch up.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:It's just so damn 'bland.'

Say what you will about the Michael Bay movies, they at least produce a response. (Usually disgust for most people.) I watch episodes of Prime (I've watched several, none in any particular order because it doesn't seem to matter to me) and I just...it's just not interesting or new at all.
I'm not too fond of so many stand alone episodes in season one. that don't link to a plot or arc.

many like myself are just hopping that TF Prime season 2 will make up for the bland season one.

Having a bland season one is nothing new to the various transformers cartoon series. Beastmachines had a awful season one but managed to bounced back & step up their game in season 2. Armada had a much different season 1 that felt toddler-ish. compared to armada's more serious,more violent season 2 that had unicron & tidalwave in it.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I haven't seen enough episodes to form an opinion. I'm interested in the series though.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

I can't really comment, since I've been enjoying the show from the start. Don't want to come off as trying to persuade you to give it another chance. I played that game with Raksha when Beast Wars was still airing and it did all of naught. I don't know. I guess if it's not your thing, then it's just not your thing. Same way some people love the Bay movies or the IDW comics and I find them pretty un-engaging.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Raksha was different, she 'hated' BW and everyone who liked it was a filthy traitor. I wish no will of anyone who does like Prime. I don't even actively 'dislike' it, it's just sort of...there, on the peripheral edges. It's a thing, whoo. Kind of like how I was with IDW until AHM.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Yeah, that's true. It's all good.