TF Prime episodes

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Re: TF Prime episodes

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:You didn't see the press release? I guess IDW has some shoddy original series called Robots vs. Zombies (yes, literally that) and to promote it they're having it bleed onto their licensed books.
Dude, I get pretty much all my news from here, and whatever happens to be on /toy/ and /co/ whenever I'm on them. I don't really worry about tracking this stuff down.

So wait, *Dan Abnett* is writing this thing? Including the TF chapters? My friends are all huge WH40k fans, so they're always going on about what a great writer the guy is, but I never really cared enough to check it out. This'll do enough as a curiosity, I guess.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Abnett is a damned good writer. He is probably one of the best writes in comics now. But, as I have said, he is not above phoning something in for a paycheck. And, that is what I am guessing "Infestation" will be.

If you want good Abnett, read "Ironman and Thor" for Marvel, or his (excellent) "Inquisitor" novels, or the (related but different) "Inquisitor" comics for GW. The "Titan" comics he did for GW were also pretty damned good.

Trust me Prowl, you will not be disappointed.

Dom
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:I'm not really much of a "web guy" anyway so I... um... don't get it. :oops:
It's an internet thing, means "I agree" basically.
Dominic wrote:
I haven't yet watched yesterday's episode, I started to play it on the DVR and the scenes to explain the previous episodes made me so annoyed that I turned it off.
Really, wow?
Yeah, show pisses me off. I eventually put up with it because some friends were asking what I thought, barely could stomach it.
The seeded worlds could also be used as a way to explain why it is worth going out and looking for a valuable resource. Once the supplies are located, they would have to be secured and/or fought over. It is not uncommon for one species to impact another, for good and ill. So, again, it is how the show handles and presents this.
"Our resource is so important, we buried it on many different lands" is a treasure hunt.
Zombies? Really?

Okay, I am done with TFP.
Yup, zombie robots, a whole army by episode 5.

BWprowl wrote:Egh, part five rather hurt things for me. The logic jumps go from 'acceptable for a kids' cartoon' to 'buttfuck insane'. How are the kids able to correctly guess, on the first try, not only that the Decepticons are using a satellite array, but the EXACT ONE they're using? There's just no way! Raf's hacking powers hit superhuman peaks as well, and the fact that he was the Deus Ex Machina for almost every part of the plotline didn't help things either. Jack's turnabout was another sticking point. He quit hanging out with the Autobots because he was (rightly) afraid that he would get killed. So then Arcee shows up and gives him the sob story about her other friend who got killed. So this somehow convinces Jack to go running STRAIGHT BACK TO THE GUYS HE THOUGHT WERE GOING TO GET HIM KILLED! And here I was thinking he was supposed to be rational and responsible. And after all the agonizingly precise calculations it took to get the space bridge pointed at Cybertron, Megatron just chucks a block of Dark Energon through the portal, hoping that it'll land on Cybertron? And it *works*? No. I don't care what insane Transformers logic we're using here, NOTHING works that way.
All absolutely right.
More odd family-unfriendly stuff in this episode too, particularly with Miko pointing out the odd absence of guards at the array, and then we discover Soundwave is hanging out there...
Didn't really think about that, but yeah, that was what they were saying I guess. Nasty, but not obvious.
Could this show just not afford to hire enough voice actors? Is that why Bumblebee and Soundwave don't talk, and there're hardly any real Decepticons?
They have Kevin Michael Richardson, that guy can go from giant black guy to scrawny white guy in an instant, and has tons of VO range. They have Cullen, who used to voice multiple characters back in the day. They have Welker, master of cartoon voices. They're just lazy at writing for characters, I bet.

Mako Crab wrote:Hm... hadn't thought of that. Could be. I kind of like your idea. It'd keep them from reusing the same plot later on. How many times can the Earth be threatened by an army of undead zombie bots before it gets stale, right?
How many times in the course of a day can Miko get EVERYBODY into trouble? Yet in just 5 episodes taking place over 3 days, they went back there over and over and over.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I really wanted to like this show, but it seems to have taken the worst parts of Bayverse and the worst parts of Animated and mashed it altogether for 100% pure suck. I like some parts of it, but by and large I think even I'M done with it. :cry:
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I really wanted to like this show, but it seems to have taken the worst parts of Bayverse and the worst parts of Animated and mashed it altogether for 100% pure suck. I like some parts of it, but by and large I think even I'M done with it. :cry:
Tell me about it. Even after all the negative hype and early bad reviews, I really gave this show a chance, and it just used that chance to kick me in the balls.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I really need to see my friend's DVR copies huh?

Dom
-"Transformers: Resolute"?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:I really need to see my friend's DVR copies huh?
The Hub website also has all 5 episodes online...

http://www.hubworld.com/transformers/shows/prime/videos
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:Dom
-"Transformers: Resolute"?
I don't know that it's as bad as Resolute, but it's definitely got problems. It's not like there's nothing good about it, there's just so much bad holding it back that I can't help but be frustrated with the thing.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Dominic wrote:I really need to see my friend's DVR copies huh?
The Hub website also has all 5 episodes online...

http://www.hubworld.com/transformers/shows/prime/videos
Gonna have to look at those after wrapping up some finals type stuff.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Well episode six hit today, and I watched it because, well, someone has to, right?

The kids were utterly disposable in this episode. I think they were there just because of contractual obligations. Their stupid science project subplot with Ratchet had nothing to do with the rest of the episode, and didn't even take up much time of it. I have no idea why they even bothered sticking it in, save for it gave Ratchet an out of the mission so Bumblebee could shoehorn himself in and get the closest thing to character development a walking box of Morse code can get (It's extra retarded that everyone can understand Bumblebee but the audience, by the way. At least with MovieBee, everyone had to work to understand his radio-charades, and that kinda added to his charm. With TFP 'Bee, it just feels like everyone knows the secret code but us.). And that big beeping bastard gets to off a potential new character in this one too. Sure, Skyquake's voice acting was questionable at best, but I though he had potential as a character, and he instead ends up as an example of the TFP Autobots' apparent 'take no prisoners' philosophy. That's a concept I would've preferred to see just left in the live-action movies. Why the hell does Fowler fly a jet in just a suit and tie with no helmet or safety harness or anything?

The Decepticons fare a bit better. Starscream's one of the more interesting characters in this series, and Steve Blum's doing a bang-up job in the role, bringing just enough ham and melodrama to make it work here (he also seems to be channeling Scott McNeil's Dinobot at times). It's nice to see a Starscream who's sneaky and quiet about his ambitions, rather than announcing his intent to overthrow Megatron every twenty minutes. Also enjoyed the nod of him declaring himself 'Emperor of Destruction'. He was getting a *little* too close to Megatron's body in space there, for my tastes. I could hear the fangirls squeeing from here. Soundwave's okay I guess, though not much better than Bumblebee, technically. I do like that he's being portrayed similar to how G1 Soundwave's techspec described him, it's an interesting angle. I also really like his design, so that helps (though I didn't know he had fingers on the ends of his wings until this episode, and frankly, I liked the idea of him just having wings for arms better). Skyquake was pretty cool, stupid shit about him not having a vehicle mode that he very clearly had parts for aside, and while his crappy voice acting got on my nerves, I did like the 'booming' effect they gave his voice, it worked well. Dig the chaingun too. I guess I'm just mostly annoyed that they had the opportunity to bolster the pathetically small amount of Decepticon characters, and they squandered it.

S'yeah, this episode was all over the place. The show still has issues with it's logic (with even Starscream pointing out how retarded it was that Megatron didn't look for extra troops that he KNEW WERE ON THE PLANET), and the identity crisis I've always felt it was suffering from is still present (Hey kids! Watch Bumblebee disembowel Skyquake then send his flaming wreckage smashing violently into the ground, as Prime grimly remarks on their plans to bury him. Then watch the WACKY SCIENCE PROJECT HIJINKS with Jack and Friends!). I dunno, I find the animation nice, and some of the voice acting's pretty good, but I don't think I can plan on being our Transformers: Prime correspondent forever if this is the best this series has to offer.