New cartoon: Robots In Disguise

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Re: New cartoon: Robots In Disguise

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:Y'know what? I'm in. No Optimus or Megatron? Good. New characters? Good.
Sideswipe and Fixit aren't new characters. And Optimus is already confirmed to be in it.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Eh, not loving another Bumblebee focus, but the fact that Orci & Kurtzman aren't named in this article is promise enough.
Almighty Unicron wrote:Also Fixit is basically Gobots' Scooter only orange.
Fixit reminded me of MASK's T-Bob if he transformed into a Segway.

Shockwave wrote:Y'know what? I'm in. No Optimus or Megatron? Good. New characters? Good. Ok, the title could be more original and the designs look like a merging of Animated and Prime, but I recall vehemently saying "FUCK ANIMATED" before it came out and it turned out to be one of my favorite series. So you know what? I'm gonna be optimistic and if I wind up hating it at least I'll have given it a fair chance.
Dude, I really thought that post was from our BWProwl. :D
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

I'm at a crossroads here.....

Just hoping that perhaps the newer Decepticons in this cartoon with toys will be bigger sized characters/toys some like myself have wanted toys of. Like Masterforce Overlord, Galvatron,G-1 Cyclonus, G-2 Jhiaxus,Sixshot,Trypticon,Thunderwing.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Just hoping that perhaps the newer Decepticons in this cartoon with toys will be bigger sized characters/toys some. Like Masterforce Overlord, Galvatron,G-1 Cyclonus, G-2 Jhiaxus,Sixshot,Tidalwave,Trypticon,Thunderwing.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Y'know what? I'm in. No Optimus or Megatron? Good. New characters? Good.
Sideswipe and Fixit aren't new characters. And Optimus is already confirmed to be in it.
What, for like, two seconds? I seem to recall that it's been established that he's not going to be a central character in this series and ok, yeah I'll give you Sideswipe, but Fixit? Does anyone remember G1 Fixit? Oh wait, yeah I remember him from Marvel issue 71 where he was two inches tall and Not Ratchet. Cause he needed to save actual Ratchet. Woopdie doo. Especially since this guy is clearly no relation to that thing from the comic.

JT's right, I'm surprised you're not with me on this one. You've been complaining for YEARS that you want to see an iteration that doesn't revolve around Optimus or Megatron and would allow for new characters and now that we're basically getting that, you're STILL not happy? Or at least somewhat interested? I just find that... odd.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

JediTricks wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Y'know what? I'm in. No Optimus or Megatron? Good. New characters? Good. Ok, the title could be more original and the designs look like a merging of Animated and Prime, but I recall vehemently saying "FUCK ANIMATED" before it came out and it turned out to be one of my favorite series. So you know what? I'm gonna be optimistic and if I wind up hating it at least I'll have given it a fair chance.
Dude, I really thought that post was from our BWProwl. :D
Man, I tried being positive before, in the lead-up to TFPrime, and I ended up just getting kicked in the balls. Repeatedly. Fool me once etc etc.

I mean maybe if this new series had even a whiff of effort or originality about it, but it doesn't, it's all so *obvious*. Bumblebee: leader guy, Sideswipe: Hot-headed 'cool' guy, Fixit: annoying kid-appeal type. They're even just using 'Decepticons' as the villains, despite this being a perfect opportunity to introduce a new faction to fill that role!

I mean, sure, it's *possible* the writing could be absolutely godly and the show itself will be more, much more than the sum of its parts, but somehow, I doubt that.
Shockwave wrote:JT's right, I'm surprised you're not with me on this one. You've been complaining for YEARS that you want to see an iteration that doesn't revolve around Optimus or Megatron and would allow for new characters and now that we're basically getting that, you're STILL not happy? Or at least somewhat interested? I just find that... odd.
Yay, instead of getting Optimus, we're getting...Bumblebee. Yeah, I'll try to contain my excitement over Bumblebee and Sideswipe turning into cars and fighting Decepticons on Earth. The fact that it's a sequel to TFPrime doesn't do a lot to instill confidence either.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Alright, it's now time for an EPIC RANT!!!!

So, basically you'd like to wipe away any trace of anything even remotely tracing to Transformers and have them still call it "Transformers"? Why would they do that? More importantly, why would you want that? I think the question that needs to be asked at this point is what makes something "Transformers" to you? Not much from what I can tell. Unfortunately that never works well when you have something and take away any trace of what made it what it was. Case in point: Kevin Smith when he was writing the Superman movie. The producer wanted to make all these changes like Superman could fly, and he wan't bulletproof, and wanted to have a giant spider. Now, we still got that movie. It was called Wild Wild West. Imagine if it had been called "Superman". How big of a shitstorm do you think would have occurred if that had happened! Whenever you create something for an existing franchise, there has to be something tying it back to it's roots otherwise you might as well just make something new and unrelated. In the case of TF, that means at least a few familiar characters and Autobots vs. Decepticons. At least with this new show it sounds like we'll get mostly new characters. And without having a rehash of "Prime vs. Megatron" I think we can get a lot of new and interesting stories from this. I guess I'd rather be Optimistic about what's going to be new and different than sit here whining and feeling kicked in the balls over the few similarities that are there to tie it to the rest of the franchise.

And how exactly did you get "Kicked in the balls" with Prime? That gave us all sorts of new characters, especially near the end with Beast Hunters giving is all new characters and alt modes we'd never seen before, even having their own faction! And this picks up from that, so hey, that right there already opens the door for them to have more factions besides Autobots and Decepticons. Prime really did at some points deliver in the new and different dept and really did have some interesting high points. Sure, it had it's low points too, but I personally would rather focus on the positive. I'd rather be an Optimist Prime. If you wanna be a Negatron, so be it.

Shockwave
-Still has not seen Predacons Rising.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I think the question that needs to be asked at this point is what makes something "Transformers" to you?
Robots turnin' into stuff.
Case in point: Kevin Smith when he was writing the Superman movie. The producer wanted to make all these changes like Superman could fly, and he wan't bulletproof, and wanted to have a giant spider
The difference, at least to me, is that Superman is an individual character. That one dude, Kal-El, Clark Kent, the man from Krypton, he's Superman the brand name, the idea, the concept (and hey, even within that we still get crazy alt-universe iterations like Red Son).

Transformers though, simply refers to The Transformers: Those cool shape-changin' robots from Cybertron. The focus of the given fiction could be *any* of them, from any of the dozens of different factions they've used in the past, or brand-new ones created set by that precedent, transforming and changing in unique, interesting new ways. *That's* the beauty of the franchise, not its ability to show us Bumblebee turning into a car, *again*.
In the case of TF, that means at least a few familiar characters and Autobots vs. Decepticons.
Beast Wars. Beast Machines. RiD.
At least with this new show it sounds like we'll get mostly new characters.
We've only seen the three main characters at this point, and already two of them are overused jackasses in generic form, and the other is also a previous character rehashed as a tired cartoon element no one likes anyway! Make a point of using a forgettable Micromaster then turn him into the TF version of Orco? Yeah, this'll be great.
And how exactly did you get "Kicked in the balls" with Prime?
By it being a shitty show? My initial distaste with TFPrime had little to do with its pedestrian setup and character choices, and mostly to do with its awful writing and general poor quality.
That gave us all sorts of new characters, especially near the end with Beast Hunters giving is all new characters and alt modes we'd never seen before, even having their own faction!
Admittedly, Beast Hunters was everything I wanted in a toyline for a while, a pity it barely lasted a quarter of a year. But yeah, I bought almost all the Predacons and loved the shit out of them, I've still got them lined up on my shelf.

This is mostly with regards to the cartoons and the prospective quality thereof, though, and I'm not watching through the rest of TFPrime (I gave up after about a dozen episodes) just to get to the Beast Hunters portion which, from what I understand, doesn't even feature any of those Predacons save Predaking.
And this picks up from that, so hey, that right there already opens the door for them to have more factions besides Autobots and Decepticons.
Then why aren't they talking about that in the promo instead of just telling us "Bumblebee and his Autobots fighting Decepticons. *Yawn*"?
Prime really did at some points deliver in the new and different dept and really did have some interesting high points.
There was very little new or different about TFPrime. The initial setup was cribbed wholesale from Armada (Three kids with the Autobots in an underground base with a bridge system that can teleport them anywhere in the world as they go on a global search for macguffins) and all of the characters were rehashed idiomatic versions of previous ones, most pulled from G1. Knockout was the one interesting one I saw before I quit watching, and while I enjoyed his inclusion, it wasn't enough to stop the rest of the show from being a boring, poorly-written slog of a series that I just couldn't bring myself to continue.
Sure, it had it's low points too, but I personally would rather focus on the positive. I'd rather be an Optimist Prime. If you wanna be a Negatron, so be it.
Like I said, I *wanted* to be positive about this initially. When we saw that first promo, that made it look like we might be getting a show set on Cybertron for the first time in a while? "Well that's something, at least" I thought. Maybe with the Decepticons theoretically taken care of, Bumblebee and a host of new, interesting characters would have to act as a security/police force for rogue Autobots or something, that could be cool. But then we get this: Bumblebee and Jerkswipe and R.O.B. on Earth fighting Decepticons. Whatever.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Why can't we get the Batman Beyond of TF? Down to the dark neon Matrix future.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:Why can't we get the Batman Beyond of TF? Down to the dark neon Matrix future.
...Beast Machines?

Don't think I haven't considered the possibility of a series set far, far, faaaaaaaar past they typical TF timeline though, one where Autobots and Decepticons and The War happened so long ago that they're barely considered 'legends' by the general populous. And I don't mean like BW's poorly-handled "They're legends except in Season 2 when we reveal it barely happened 300 years ago and everyone's actually perfectly well-informed about the history", I mean like "Optimus Prime? What's that, have I heard that somewhere before?"