BH Shockwave VS TFA Shockwave VS DOTM Shockwave VS Energon

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

BH Shockwave VS TFA Shockwave VS DOTM Shockwave VS Energon

Post by Tigermegatron »

BH Shockwave VS TFA Shockwave VS DOTM Shockwave VS Energon Shockwave VS FOC Shockwave toys VS Alternators Shockblast.

Please list your favorites Shockwaves Voyager/Deluxe/Commander new mold toys that were released in a 10 year span in chronical order,1 being your best choice.

If you can,state a quick reason why behind your choices.

My chronical order Shockwave's toy list is as follows:
1- Energon Shockblast/shockwave voyager sized toy. I felt this was the best update homage for the 1985 Shockwave character. The colors were correct. the robot mode had the right homage design & bulk. the Tank mode was unique & looked like a Cybertronian tank mode done right. The huge epic laser gun arm looks awesome. powerful looking toy in all modes. the 3rd mode looked like a great cybertronian attack mode that could take out enemies in the sky/space.

2- BH Voyager Shockwave,2nd best homage 1985 shockwave robot mold in sculpt & colors. love the epic huge laser arm. nailed/got the 1985 shockwave upper robot chest design accurate. robot head looks like a beyond decent 1985 sockwave homage head sculpt. love how the tank treads detach & form the wire for the laser arm. Tank mode looks decent. decent size & very poseable. looks powerful & decent bulk in both modes.

3- FOC deluxe Shockwave,I love how the designers really tried their hardest to make this toy look like a decent 1985 Shockwave homage toy in both modes. The only thing holding this epic design back was the deluxe size class. their is no doubt in my mind had this design been voyager or ultra sized it would have been more awesome,it would have had stronger plastic plastic,looked less puny,had more parts to make everything look better. I really liked how the designers tried to incorporate the 1985 flying space gun mode into a Cybertronian Gunship mode. robot mode tries to look like a 1985 shockwave homage toy.

4- BH Commander size Shockwave,Despite it's small size scale,It actually looks a bit more G-1 Shockwave in both modes compared to the BH Voyager shockwave toy.

5- DOTM Voyager Shockwave,Toy gets bonus points for having a whole bunch of slots & pegs that hold everything together tightly in both modes. homage colors. decent nightmare sculpt designs in both modes. Other than the head sculpt,NOTHING ELSE ON THIS MOLD TRIES TO HOMAGE ANYTHING FROM 1985 SHOCKWAVE. cool Mech weapon.

6- TFA Voyager Shockwave. Honestly toy looks bad in 3 of the 4 modes,Best mode is the tank mode. not a fan of the Two autobot spy modes. The autobot construction mode looks epic awful. The two robot modes look really horrible. The only 1985 homage shockwave thing on this toy is the robot head & upper chest design. I felt the G-1 Shockwave homage head & upper chest piece could have been sculpted better as they looked awful. the mass released version wasn't even colored in 1985 Shockwave toy colors. The target exclusive was colored in homage 1985 shockwave colors but I felt the purple looked horrible on the design. The toy I felt was too narrow,slim & puny to look like a decent shockwave in Robot mode.

7- Alternators Shockblast,This is the number reason why some HATE the Alternators toy line. Because more than half of the Character toys in the line had robot & alt modes that looked nothing like the 1980's G-1 characters toys/media designs. Honestly as far as Alternators shockblast goes this toys only G-1 Shockwave homages are the head sculpt,laser hand & colors. Personally having none of the other robot parts look like 1985 shockwave is epic wrong/awful/waste. A car mode for shockwave,I felt seemed wrong as he hangs out on cybertron most of the time. As I feel shockwave deserves a mighty military or cybertronian styled alt mode like a tank or jet or gunship.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: BH Shockwave VS TFA Shockwave VS DOTM Shockwave VS Energ

Post by Shockwave »

Alright, well since this is a comparison thread about my namesake, why not?

1: Generations Fall of Cybertron Shockwave. I agree with everything Deathy said about this. They really did do a good job of making him look like the original in both modes and the "flying gunship" thing makes his flight ability more believeable and gives it more credibility while still looking more like a giant flying cannon. The small deluxe size doesn't bother me when the FoC toys were all going to be deluxes and that was it, but since he got released right before Voyager sized figures were released I can't help thinking it would have been better in that scale. But hey, they redid Soundwave in that scale, so maybe they'll redo Shocky as well. My only complaint is that his eye is red rather than yellow, yellow would pop out more while the red just kinda blends into the head.

2: Energon Shockblast. This is a figure that homages G1 Shock to the point that it's still used today as a point of reference and a lot of fans have it as their stand in "Classics" Shockwave. The current Tranformers Battle card game, Transformers Legends for the smart phones even uses this model as the basis for their G1 inspired game. My only complaint about this figure is that the missile firing gimmick gimps out his gun arm, but since the arm is actually a gun it's forgiveable.

3: Alternators Shockwave (he's Shockwave, I'm not calling him Shockblast). This is one of my favorite from the Alternators toy line. The whole point of Alternators/Binaltech was to take licensed vehicle forms and use them for various G1 Transformers updates. The colors and the head really carry the "Shockwave" home on this figure since he's never had a ground based alt mode before and I also like that they went with clear light purple plastic for the gun arm, it really says "Shockwave" to me. Good articulation and great detail are why I love this figure.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to stop here. I don't have the BH versions of Shockwave yet so I can't really rank if they're next on the list or not. They may come before Animated or not, I dunno.

Animated was a toy that I liked, there being so few TFs with two alt modes, especially with two bot modes in different factions. I think they pulled it off rather well.

DOTM Shockwave was.... I had one because technically it was still "Shockwave" but I wasn't sad to part with it when I liquidated my collection and I'm not in any hurry to replace it.

Another one made in the last ten years that I'll comment on is Mighty Muggs. This is the only Shockwave figure I have ever regretted buying. These things are just terrible toys, terrible Transformers and completely pointless. I mean, the only things on this that physically say "shockwave" is the gun arm and hose going to the back. Other than that, it's literally the same as every other Mighty Mugg.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

BH Shockwave VS TFA Shockwave VS DOTM Shockwave VS Energon Shockwave VS FOC Shockwave toys VS Alternators Shockblast.
You left the original off! And the Action Master version (both of which I own, by the way!)

I have three of the ones you list, and of those I'd rank them as follows:

1) Shockblast - not happy with the name, but it's a great Shockwave update. I can't see the character choosing a vehicle alt-mode as if he was a common Autobot, but regardless, the hood mimics the original version's chest quite nicely, and they get so many of the details correct like the head and gun hand without adding lots of extra junk like DOTM or Energon Shockblast. It's a nice clean Shockwave homage, packaged into a vehicle instead of a laser pistol.

2) FOC Shockwave - a bit small, but otherwise it takes Shockwave and translates him nicely into a flying gunship mode that, again, references the original gun mode fairly well.

3) Animated Shockwave - got the purple version on sale at Target I believe, which is probably the only reason I bought him. Not a fan of any of his modes, since the tank and the crane (or whatever it's meant to be) barely look like anything. His two different robot modes are nice, though it's not like they look all THAT different. And the figure is fairly loose and doesn't hold together all that well, or at least my copy doesn't. Not a big fan of this one, to be honest, though I enjoyed hearing his original voice actor again.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

Here's a question vaguely related to the topic: Assuming that Shockwave can never be a gun again (though to be fair, him being a gun is more likely than megs being a gun since he was never that realistic... but on the other hand, most TF lines shy away from non-vehicular or bestial transformers these days), what do you guys prefer his alt mode to be? Tank? Plane? Something else?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Almighty Unicron wrote:Here's a question vaguely related to the topic: Assuming that Shockwave can never be a gun again (though to be fair, him being a gun is more likely than megs being a gun since he was never that realistic... but on the other hand, most TF lines shy away from non-vehicular or bestial transformers these days), what do you guys prefer his alt mode to be? Tank? Plane? Something else?
Classics Megatron was a gun and the recent RTS Legends Megatron was also a gun, even more realistic looking than Classics Megs, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

That said, I think I prefer jet. It's the closest to his "Flying cannon" mode as possible although I really did like the Alternators version. In fact, I think I might want to actually get a Mazda RX-8 in purple as my next car just so I could be driving my own "real life" Shockwave.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Duh, this:
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:2: Energon Shockblast. This is a figure that homages G1 Shock to the point that it's still used today as a point of reference and a lot of fans have it as their stand in "Classics" Shockwave. The current Tranformers Battle card game, Transformers Legends for the smart phones even uses this model as the basis for their G1 inspired game. My only complaint about this figure is that the missile firing gimmick gimps out his gun arm, but since the arm is actually a gun it's forgiveable.
It's actually less the missile launcher and more the electronic gimmick.

By the way, do you still need one? I still have mine and am interested in selling.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Shockwave wrote:2: Energon Shockblast. This is a figure that homages G1 Shock to the point that it's still used today as a point of reference and a lot of fans have it as their stand in "Classics" Shockwave. The current Tranformers Battle card game, Transformers Legends for the smart phones even uses this model as the basis for their G1 inspired game. My only complaint about this figure is that the missile firing gimmick gimps out his gun arm, but since the arm is actually a gun it's forgiveable.
It's actually less the missile launcher and more the electronic gimmick.

By the way, do you still need one? I still have mine and am interested in selling.
Yeah, I'm still in the market for one. Money's a bit tight right this moment though, I'm literally having to decide between getting gas so I can get to work next week or buy food so I can eat and drink. Next month or so maybe though.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:Duh, this:
Looks a bit like a lawn mower alt mode. It does resemble a cybertronian styled race car,but why the need for the lawn mower type handle attached to end of the car mode?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Looks a bit like a lawn mower alt mode. It does resemble a cybertronian styled race car,but why the need for the lawn mower type handle attached to end of the car mode?
Look at it upside down, and you'll realize the genius.