GI Interview with TF Universe developers

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: GI Interview with TF Universe developers

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:I could maybe see this if they were doing an old school Warcraft/Command & Conquer style strategy setting but not for an mmorpg. Also, what's a MOBA?
I just posted this, but it's in the middle of my post and this ties into another point I just thought of: MOBA is Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. I bet they switched to squad-based play because they saw there wasn't going to be enough players to fill an MMORPG based on TF.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

JediTricks wrote: ...Or I could just keep reading the thread and you'd have saved me all that typing.
Hehe, it's okay.
I found FOC's character creation boring. Could I be green Starscream with Blast Off's chest, or blue Megatron with Grimlock's arms, or yellow Optimus with Jazz's shoulders? Gee, thanks, but I'll pass.
Yeah. I mean, it was an improvement on the REALLY shallow character creator in WFC, but even so, it left a lot to be desired.

You know what I was thinking? Vehicle modes would be really good for covering long distances in an open world. Now that it's been reduced to small arena maps, how much are vehicle modes going to factor into it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Mako Crab wrote:
I found FOC's character creation boring. Could I be green Starscream with Blast Off's chest, or blue Megatron with Grimlock's arms, or yellow Optimus with Jazz's shoulders? Gee, thanks, but I'll pass.
Yeah. I mean, it was an improvement on the REALLY shallow character creator in WFC, but even so, it left a lot to be desired.

You know what I was thinking? Vehicle modes would be really good for covering long distances in an open world. Now that it's been reduced to small arena maps, how much are vehicle modes going to factor into it?
It was fairly limited but my point is that for an mmorpg it would have been a good place to start. Take that and push it further. Make the parts swappable between classes and have more color options. If nothing else, it does prove that it can be done.

As for vehicle modes, a lot of the MP maps are pretty huge and alt modes make a pretty big difference. I wouldn't want to have my characters just running from one end of them to the other, it would take a lot of time. In fact, the "Capture the flag" MP mode capitalizes on this by making whoever has the flag run, they can't retain the flag in alt mode. So the challenge there is to not only get from one end of the map to the other by just running, but to also do so while getting shot at by other players. And by other players who can use their alt modes because they're not holding a flag.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Mako Crab wrote:Yeah. I mean, it was an improvement on the REALLY shallow character creator in WFC, but even so, it left a lot to be desired.

The irony was that the FOC character creator kept me from playing the multiplayer, and even there it was the horrible color selections that held me back the most.

Vehicle modes probably will end up being like FOC, basically just heavier weapons systems. I honestly feel like TPTB in Transformers are sending the wrong message to these game designers by not incorporating disguise in pre-Earth stories, the very first episode of TF has disguise a big part of the Cybertronian spy scenario with Soundwave turning into a street lamp.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

The biggest problem with the colors was that they switched them so often. First it was color palette 1, then it was 2.0, then back to 1, then... I swear I had to recolor my customs like 8 times before they finally decided on a set palette.