GI Interview with TF Universe developers

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

GI Interview with TF Universe developers

Post by Mako Crab »

GI Interview with the Developers at Jagex

I know we're all very excited about creating our very own Transformers, so I'm pulling the relevant part out of the article.
In what ways can you create and customize your character? Do you play a single Transformer, or multiple characters?

Horton: Full character customization like you see in MMORPG’s can’t really be all that varied for a car that has to transform into a robot smoothly and also perform as a game character flawlessly, making a Transformers character that performs its duty a challenge before you add any really worthwhile customization. Picking bits of headgear, tunic colors or adding body kits to a vehicle aren’t that straightforward in a robot-vehicle character. We have customization, but the ultimate dream of creating your own custom bot from a car of your choice is a massive undertaking that doesn’t really enhance the game that much. It’s not as cool when you compare it to having your own collection of purpose-built bots with different play-styles, handling, weaponry, and specialties. It’s in the Transformers brand DNA as a toy, something that captures your imagination as you take it on adventures, not to mention the collectability, having a cool selection of Transformers characters. Its game art imitating life.

Coupe: Absolutely – I think players will really enjoy learning more about the new characters that we’re introducing to the Transformers’ Universe. These are genuinely brand new characters that people won’t have encountered, all with their own abilities, weapons and personalities, some Bots compliment other characters, some don’t and players are going to have to learn which combinations work best together. You’ll also be able to add elements of personalization to the members of your squad, so you won’t be completely without character personalization. The most obvious version of this is the personalization seen within weapons, you’ll be able to adjust modules within these weapons to give you multiple combinations that will be unique to your bot.
Color me disappointed. Just reading this and looking at the word-choice of Coupe, when he says, "So you won't be completely without personalization . . . ," tells me that there's going to be next to none ala' Fall of Cybertron's "customization."

But I think the thing that pisses me off the most about this little snippet, is that A LOT OF PEOPLE were looking forward to building their own unique, original Transformer. A LOT OF PEOPLE!! There were entire press conferences and demos devoted to showing off nothing but the deep levels of customization. For Alex Horton to now come in here and basically tell us what we really want isn't customization, but all these other bells and whistles, pisses me off.

No, Alex. I didn't want an entire squad of robots. I wanted one unique robot that I could develop and tweak and build up and put my stamp on. I don't need a squad, because it's a MMO! The squad is made up of everyone else playing! If my customization options are limited to my various weapon loadouts, then I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: GI Interview with TF Universe developers

Post by Sparky Prime »

Well that is disappointing. I can understand there would be certain limitations when it comes to customizing characters that need to be able to transform... But at the same time, as a video game they can 'cheat'. They've already done that with characters in other Transformers video games and cartoons.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Exactly. And then for Horton to try and play it down by saying that it's way more cool to build a whole squad of generics with customized weapon loadouts is just. . . . *eye twitch*
And honestly, I don't even think it would be all that hard to offer the level of customization that Jagex had been promising since day 1. As long as a couple details are carried over from vehicle to bot mode, it's easy to sell the idea of a transforming robot.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am not going to buy (or likely even play) the game. So, take this as you will.

But, I can see the appeal of having a team of robots with varied kit. Individual characters are well and good when reading a comic or buying a figure. (And, in the former case, the main character does not necessarily need a name. There have been some damned good "nameless soldier POV" stories over the years.) But, in gaming terms, the most important thing is ultimately the character's stats. "Decepticon solidier w/ heavy weapons" is functionally the same as "Battle Blastin' Swindle".

Having a group of pieces to control adds something to the game that would not be there if somebody were just using one piece.

Dom
-has been meaning to work one a custom Decepticon soldier for a while actually.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

And yet it works just fine in Fall of Cybertron. In fact, my only complaint there was lack of available colors but that would be easy enough to fix for something like this. If they really find it that cumbersome, they're honestly just not trying hard enough.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Seriously. The simple fact of the matter is, the game that Jagex has been teasing us with for the last 2 years no longer exists. It seems literally every element has been changed beyond the point of recognition. It's a MOBA now instead of an MMORPG. It's squad based instead of individual based. Customization sounds extremely limited. In their own words, the most readily apparent customization will be in your weapons loadout. And honestly, this isn't a game I'm excited for in the least anymore. It's gone from being at the top of my radar, to being off it completely.

What they're describing has already been done in WFC, FOC, and even the PS2 Aramda game.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

What kind of customization did they do in Armada? I remember you could change the minicon loadout but that's not like the others where you can change the character models and colors completely.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Shockwave wrote:What kind of customization did they do in Armada? I remember you could change the minicon loadout but that's not like the others where you can change the character models and colors completely.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Just the weapon/Minicon loadout, which seems to be the focus of customization now in Jagex' game.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I could maybe see this if they were doing an old school Warcraft/Command & Conquer style strategy setting but not for an mmorpg. Also, what's a MOBA?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Aw shit! I actually did an interview with one of the Jagex guys at Botcon '11 that covered this stuff, but I took physical notes instead of voice notes and then got caught up with other stuff and filed the notes away, forgetting to actually write up the article. We discussed the customization aspect and its limitations even then.
Color me disappointed. Just reading this and looking at the word-choice of Coupe, when he says, "So you won't be completely without personalization . . . ," tells me that there's going to be next to none ala' Fall of Cybertron's "customization."
There's more going on than FOC's "pick any of these 5 arms" type of situation, but it is in that vein (or was at Botcon '11).
But I think the thing that pisses me off the most about this little snippet, is that A LOT OF PEOPLE were looking forward to building their own unique, original Transformer. A LOT OF PEOPLE!! There were entire press conferences and demos devoted to showing off nothing but the deep levels of customization. For Alex Horton to now come in here and basically tell us what we really want isn't customization, but all these other bells and whistles, pisses me off.
I suspect doing a browser-based MMORPG with a big focus on transforming is what held them back from meeting their 2012 aim for the game, they probably had to take it way back to the drawing board and this is likely the result.
No, Alex. I didn't want an entire squad of robots. I wanted one unique robot that I could develop and tweak and build up and put my stamp on. I don't need a squad, because it's a MMO! The squad is made up of everyone else playing! If my customization options are limited to my various weapon loadouts, then I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
Damn good point.... EXCEPT! In my research just now, I found out that the game has been revamped, it's no longer an MMORPG but an MOBA - Multiplayer Online Battle Arena game! So that explains it, and that's why you're going to create a squad of robots - they're going to follow you around doing the fighting. I don't think that sounds as good as the ideas they had before, but I'm betting watching Star Wars: The Old Republic crash and burn put the fear of god into them re their original plans.
Mako Crab wrote:Seriously. The simple fact of the matter is, the game that Jagex has been teasing us with for the last 2 years no longer exists. It seems literally every element has been changed beyond the point of recognition. It's a MOBA now instead of an MMORPG. It's squad based instead of individual based. Customization sounds extremely limited. In their own words, the most readily apparent customization will be in your weapons loadout. And honestly, this isn't a game I'm excited for in the least anymore. It's gone from being at the top of my radar, to being off it completely.

What they're describing has already been done in WFC, FOC, and even the PS2 Aramda game.
...Or I could just keep reading the thread and you'd have saved me all that typing.

Dominic wrote:I am not going to buy (or likely even play) the game. So, take this as you will.
I think it's going to be a free-to-play, browser-based.

Shockwave wrote:And yet it works just fine in Fall of Cybertron. In fact, my only complaint there was lack of available colors but that would be easy enough to fix for something like this. If they really find it that cumbersome, they're honestly just not trying hard enough.
I found FOC's character creation boring. Could I be green Starscream with Blast Off's chest, or blue Megatron with Grimlock's arms, or yellow Optimus with Jazz's shoulders? Gee, thanks, but I'll pass.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?