The Fall of Cybertron thread

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

The Fall of Cybertron thread

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah, I know, I'm probably the only one here that will have anything to say about this, but... screw it, I'm going to anyway. So I got FoC and I enjoy it. The Campaign levels were a bit short but fun, got to control Metroplex for a bit in one level so that was cool. And there's even a level where you get to control Bruticus. Which was a WAY cooler than anything they showed in the trailers. The multiplayer is fun and is so far holding my interest, but there's a lot that was nerfed from WFC. The four classes only have one special ability for each instead of two and the color palletes are way worse. I really don't understand why HMS has such a hard time mastering the color choices, I would think that would have been the easiest part of programming this whole game. In spite of that, I'm still enjoying it. The customization for the chassis is way better. WFC you had to select the whole bot and recolor it. Here, you get to select everything from head to toe and even "decals". I have also bought all of the DLC so far and the last one, the Dinobot pack is by far the best. It seems like everyone likes robot dinosaurs because that's 90% of what you see on the maps these days. Seriously, if Michael Bay directed Jurassic Park, this is what it would look like. And it's awesome.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: The Fall of Cybertron thread

Post by Onslaught Six »

I'd have comments but $60 is a lot to drop on a game. I'm a lazy sod about that.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I think one could legitimately argue that you're being economically smart. By waiting you essentially get the same game for a fraction of the original price and you know it's eventually going to be much cheaper later than it is now. I would do this with video game except that I'm a dumbass who forgets to actually buy the game later. Case in point: The original Silent Hill. Bought the guide knowing beyond a shadow of doubt that I would buy the game and never did. Still have the guide though.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

One could argue I'm missing out on the multiplayer in its heyday, actually, but I can't afford Gold right now anyway, so.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I got into WFC late because I didn't have faith, so I missed out on all the multiplayer action, but I've grown burned out on that aspect anyway. WFC's campaign was so brilliant that I knew FOC would be on my list of buy or get for birthday. Well, I got it for my birthday, and I'm not quite as enamored with it as I was with WFC. The lack of character choices, the ping-pong storyline that's wafer thin and none of the characters seem to care about it all that much, Optimus going back to being a humorless stiff, the rather flat voice casting aside from a few main characters (highlights: Optimus, Soundwave, Jazz. Not highlight: any Combaticon, Megatron again, and Grimlock - I know that's sacrilege considering who is voicing him, but bad directing and bad script drag it down) giving Cliffjumper and Jazz and Starscream wrong gimmicks, leaving altmode as an even greater afterthought, and the brute characters not being as fun as advertised all drag it down from the excitement I had for it. The store was not executed quite as well as it should have been - partly because it comes up every time there's an unknown change in play, so if you don't know what to expect how can you know what you'd want to buy?

I played it through twice, getting all the PS3 trophies for single player campaign, and it's an alright campaign for what it is, but holy crap does that end battle suck - this game suffers from game makers running out of ideas too damned early: let's throw out all the controls, all the weapons, all the buildup, all the abilities, all the speed, and instead we'll have Megatron and Optimus use a lame beat-em-up with goofy out-of-place swords and shields and we'll also forget to tell the player a third of the new controls. And what was with ripping off other games? Cliffjumper's map is a straight ripoff of Batman Arkham Asylum. Jazz gets some limited Spidey action. And apparently Swindle is friggin' Mario with all his platforming fun. :p

Jazz was by far my favorite character in the game, once you play as him his writing gets way better, his mission is more fun, he's got a breakdancing transformation, and the voice work is fantastic - hell, even Teletraan I has fun with it... Stay smooth, Jazz.

I totally agree that the multiplayer character creation colors are terrible - I tried it on the demo. What the hell are these choices? Why can't we just pick the 2 colors separately - how hard would that be? Make them all side-specific colors and it won't make it visually confusing, certainly no worse than 30 shades of teal/purple or inappropriate red/yellow.

I haven't put any time into researching the DLC, it's all multiplayer aside from a pair of weapons in campaign, right?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

The DLC is mostly MP but there are a few things for campaign, all of it in the latest DLC. The G1 Optimus model, the G2 Bruticus skin and the two guns. The rest is MP and I've been having a lot of fun with all of it. Made Waspinator out of Kickback, Made BW Megs out of Grimlock and actually made Dinobot out of him too. My only complaint with that is Hound's head. It works much better as Kup than Hound.

As for campaign, I mostly have to agree with JT. It felt like HMS just took WFC and nerfed it. Characters only have one ability instead of two (although that hurts MP more than campaign, but you feel it in both modes). I also have to agree about the dialogue. From the first opening scene in WFC the dialogue was great with Breakdown and Barricade making comments to Megatron. The charm has certainly gone out of this one. The closest we get is when the Combaticons are attacking the energon transport and disobeying Starscream.