San Diego Comic-Con 2012 coverage

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
JediTricks
Site Admin

San Diego Comic-Con 2012 coverage

Post by JediTricks »

As many of you already know, I also report on ActionFigs.com, and we have been working hard to put up the Hasbro Transformers content from this year's SDCC, pretty much live or near-live as possible. Today, for example, Steve took photos of the panel slideshow and I did a writeup of the panel's key elements, which you can see here:
http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/1 ... mers-Panel

Also, Steve took photos of the booth, and soon will be putting up the photos of the products added today, each image is clickable to view at a larger size:

http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6496-transformers.html

As for the interview, I did one with them for ActionFigs.com and I did one for us, each with its own separate questions and tones. It will take me a little while to transcribe them, so look for that content next week.

Any more SDCC Transformers news I see, I will bring you guys. Hope you are enjoying the coverage. Now for some sleep! :D
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2012 coverage

Post by Dominic »

Thanks. It might not be a bad idea to move this thread to the "General Talk" section, as not all of the news is "Prime" related. But, yeah, it is good to have this thread

Random thoughts:

-gold plated Soundwave and tapes makes me think Hasbro is saying "Take that KO Toys!".

-Wreckers (recoloured/remoulded Combaticons) are intriguing, but I am not committing.

-the Chinese/English packaging makes me think "knock-off" more than "import". But, if I can get Bluestreak and Thundercracker without paying through the nose, that will make me happy. And, more than a few of those Deluxes and Voyagers have a date with a paint brush....

-"First Edition" was cancelled why exactly? :lol:

-40 new figures in the next year or so? That feels uncomfortably similar to 2010, when the line was crowding itself out. And, we all know how that ended....

Dom
-notes that SDCC is more informative than BotCon...
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Sweet, thanks JT. I saw a bunch of this stuff pop up last night, was gonna start a topic about it myself, but then realized you were doin’ the correspondin’ thing over there and would thus be more qualified to actually report on the findings. Seems like it’s been a pretty cool Comic-Con, toywise in terms of my interests, anyway (in addition to this pretty cool TF news, Tamashii Nations also revealed Figuarts of Android 18 and Krillin, and even Bandai’s Power Rangers setup had some neat-looking stuff).

THOUGHTS:

Wreckers gestalt is friggin’ awesome, did not see that coming as a Bruticus retool at all, but it works pretty well. Between this and the Asia Springer coming over, I’ll be able to build a pretty respectable Wreckers team in the coming year. Calling the combined form ‘Ruination’ is cute (even if it does mildly cockblock a possible RiD redeco of the team in the future), but what really sells it is the Emirate Xaaron head that form is sporting. Flippin’ ace. Considering I’ve already got the G2 Bruticus on pre-order, and with this version coming out, I really feel no need to spring for the SDCC version anymore.

FoC Soundwave remolded as Blaster works rather well, and I’ll be happy to get him to supplant my just-okay Universe Blaster. Plus tapes! Sundor!

Grimlock looks pretty dang cool, but…I already have Classics and Masterpiece Grimlock, who’re really the only Grimlocks I can see myself needing. Maybe if this one gets a G2 redeco or done up as a different character or something…

Asia exclusives coming over here is insane and I can’t believe Hasbro’s doing it but it’s awesome anyway. I thought I was gonna have to pay through the nose to get stuff I wanted like Springer and Laserbeak, but now they should be easier to come by. Some of those new heads are looking pretty spiffy now that I’m seeing them up close, too. Might actually pull the trigger on Hot Spot, he’s looking good now.

That box for G2 Bruticus makes me happy in a very special way.

Those Dark Energon recolors of the TFPrime guys look pretty neat, though I’m a sucker for clear plastic used like that. I absolutely NEED that Slicer-tastic Wheeljack, and Knock Out and not-Skywarp look pretty spiffy too. The Bumblebee can be safely avoided. Supposedly those are going to be BBTS exclusive?
Dominic wrote:-gold plated Soundwave and tapes makes me think Hasbro is saying "Take that KO Toys!".
Actually, that’s a special edition Linkin Park Soundwave, I’d presume the colors are something they had a hand in, somehow. It’s…downright silly, I admit. It can fight the Linkin Park Gundam while the Linkin Park Nendoroids run for cover! Seriously though, I’m pretty ambivalent about it, I haven’t listened to Linkin Park since I was 14, discounting hearing their stuff in the TF movies, anyway.
-Wreckers (recoloured/remoulded Combaticons) are intriguing, but I am not committing.
One thing that’s cool is that they all come with new, bigger weapons, which suit the characters and their origins. Also, Rotorstorm’s joke from LSotW #3 is even funnier now.
-the Chinese/English packaging makes me think "knock-off" more than "import". But, if I can get Bluestreak and Thundercracker without paying through the nose, that will make me happy. And, more than a few of those Deluxes and Voyagers have a date with a paint brush....
I’m 90% certain that those are just the actual Asian versions shown off for reference/posterity, and that when these actually come stateside, they’ll have vanilla Generations packaging. I don’t care what boxes they come in: Springer, Laserbeak, Wheelie, Hot Spot, Powerdive!
-"First Edition" was cancelled why exactly? :lol:
Solicited, short-shipped, canceled, replaced, and brought back, all in the space of a year. We may never know Hasbro’s logic on this one, it’s a mystery for the ages.
-40 new figures in the next year or so? That feels uncomfortably similar to 2010, when the line was crowding itself out. And, we all know how that ended....
Hasbro allegedly said that they were aware of the stores doing that “Order a gorillion of the first wave or two and then just sit on those the rest of the year without bringing in fresh cases” thing. No word on what they plan to *do* about the problem, but at least they’ve acknowledged it.
Dom
-notes that SDCC is more informative than BotCon...
Back when Botcon provided so little information, most people guessed they were saving the ‘big’ stuff for SDCC. Lo and behold…
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

First Edition question... Hasbro says they are going to re-release them, it was in the slideshow but they will answer that they're coming in November as a TRU exclusive.
OMG! OMG! OMG!! YES!! The rumors are true!!
Season 2 TF Prime will have 112 character reveals.
Uh. . . . considering that season 2 is already half over. . . . uh. .. . unless it's just a TON of characters filling the background on Cybertron or somewhere, I think this sounds like a bad idea.

Anyway, still very excited. I WILL have a 1st edition Optimus and Bulkhead!! Maybe Starscream too :D
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I would assume that Hasbro is double-dipping with that "112" character reveals number. Between recolours, case refreshes, exclusives (recoloured or not), and characters used across price points, Hasbro could easily have 112 "characters".
Wreckers gestalt is friggin’ awesome, did not see that coming as a Bruticus retool at all, but it works pretty well. Between this and the Asia Springer coming over, I’ll be able to build a pretty respectable Wreckers team in the coming year. Calling the combined form ‘Ruination’ is cute (even if it does mildly cockblock a possible RiD redeco of the team in the future), but what really sells it is the Emirate Xaaron head that form is sporting. Flippin’ ace. Considering I’ve already got the G2 Bruticus on pre-order, and with this version coming out, I really feel no need to spring for the SDCC version anymore.
This is one of those things where I am holding out for "correct" Wreckers. I figures of the guys from the comics, as they looked in the comics. There are no Wreckers that I like enough to just want a general representation of the character. These are not bad toys, but nor are they quite good enough for me. (Depending on how badly the articulation is gimped on the final toys, I may well be giving favourable reviews when I fiddle with Lewis'.)

FoC Soundwave remolded as Blaster works rather well, and I’ll be happy to get him to supplant my just-okay Universe Blaster. Plus tapes! Sundor!
Never mind the customizing potential. If Hasbro does not make Garboil and Howlback, I will. (Of course, I still need to spring for eHobby Twincast, Nightstalker and Stripes along with customizing modern iterations of each.)

Asia exclusives coming over here is insane and I can’t believe Hasbro’s doing it but it’s awesome anyway. I thought I was gonna have to pay through the nose to get stuff I wanted like Springer and Laserbeak, but now they should be easier to come by. Some of those new heads are looking pretty spiffy now that I’m seeing them up close, too. Might actually pull the trigger on Hot Spot, he’s looking good now.
Assuming Hasbro follows through, this will be good news. I would rather they either made Hauler, or used the Grapple mould (which has better hands) for something (if only so I could make a Hauler). But, any use of that mould at mass retail is good for the line. And, using that Megatron to make a Mega Zarak seems less insane now.

That box for G2 Bruticus makes me happy in a very special way.

Upon closer inspection, that (and by extension the Wreckers), look even easier to skip. The limbs seem to be designed using the "Scramble City" principle, which strongly implies that the merge parts are not self-contained to the individual figures.

Hasbro is now ~20 years behind the learning curve on that sort of thing.

One thing that’s cool is that they all come with new, bigger weapons, which suit the characters and their origins. Also, Rotorstorm’s joke from LSotW #3 is even funnier now.
Oh man, part of me wants to see comic packs for these guys. Think about it. 5 members....5 issues. Of course, given the slash and burn edits that Hasbro has done with their Marvel comics packs (especially "Dark Avengers"), this would probably not work out as hilariously as I might like.

Solicited, short-shipped, canceled, replaced, and brought back, all in the space of a year. We may never know Hasbro’s logic on this one, it’s a mystery for the ages.
Hasbro was quoted as saying that the reason for the cancellation/delay was a lack of retailer interest stemming from the fact that there was still so much unsold movie merchandise on shelves. Now, consider that in light of the sheer number of toys that Hasbro plans to release in the next year. It is, as Simple Simon Furman would put it...."a savage circle".

Hasbro allegedly said that they were aware of the stores doing that “Order a gorillion of the first wave or two and then just sit on those the rest of the year without bringing in fresh cases” thing. No word on what they plan to *do* about the problem, but at least they’ve acknowledged it.
Wow, do you think that Hasbro might have some kind of quota/cap system? And, how hilariously wrong could that possibly go?

Back when Botcon provided so little information, most people guessed they were saving the ‘big’ stuff for SDCC. Lo and behold…
No question about that.

But, it begs the question of why should anybody go to BotCon? At this point, the only reason to go to BotCon is to get voice actor (or other guest) autographs. Going to conventions primarily for the dealer rooms stopped making sense ~10 years ago. Exclusives can be found on eBay. And, if you monetize for time spent travelling and hotel costs, toys are generally cheaper on eBay. The same, if not more, news about upcoming toys and comics is released at *other* (more credible) conventions (that have as many, if not more, opportunities for autographs and panels as BotCon).

Dom
-should probably go looking for "New 52" updates.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Going to Botcon might make sense to someone if they actually knew other fans who were going to Botcon. I know that half the reason I still go to MAGFest is I have a group of people who I go with every year, and also I know a shitload of other people from the Internet who go every year. As it stands, if I were going to Botcon I could meet, uh, Walky.

Re: Wreckers. Prowl said that this might cockblock a "real" Ruination recolour, but...look at it again. Green Swindle. Blue Brawl. White Blastoff. Blue-and-red Vortex. With the exception of Impactor, you're getting that.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:I would assume that Hasbro is double-dipping with that "112" character reveals number. Between recolours, case refreshes, exclusives (recoloured or not), and characters used across price points, Hasbro could easily have 112 "characters".
I presumed they were talking about the show, wherein it would be easy to cram guys into the background and as cameos. Hell, look at how huge the roster of Animated was by the end, thanks to such things.
Assuming Hasbro follows through, this will be good news. I would rather they either made Hauler, or used the Grapple mould (which has better hands) for something (if only so I could make a Hauler). But, any use of that mould at mass retail is good for the line.
I don’t have Grapple yet (Siiiiiiix!!!!), but doesn’t he have those dumb open hands that can’t hold anything? I greatly prefer fists, in general.
Upon closer inspection, that (and by extension the Wreckers), look even easier to skip. The limbs seem to be designed using the "Scramble City" principle, which strongly implies that the merge parts are not self-contained to the individual figures.

Hasbro is now ~20 years behind the learning curve on that sort of thing.
Dang Dom, not only are you way behind, you’re jumping to some vicious, already disproved conclusions. We knew the FoC Combaticons were Scramble City ages ago, and what’s more, that the hands and feet for them are *built into* the figures to flip out for each limb configuration. From what I’ve seen, I strongly suspect that Vortex at least has a separate hand folded in each of his leg halves so that he can be either a left or right arm.
Wow, do you think that Hasbro might have some kind of quota/cap system? And, how hilariously wrong could that possibly go?
Couldn’t possibly turn out any worse than a season’s worth of toys disappearing 2-3 years in a row.
But, it begs the question of why should anybody go to BotCon? At this point, the only reason to go to BotCon is to get voice actor (or other guest) autographs. Going to conventions primarily for the dealer rooms stopped making sense ~10 years ago. Exclusives can be found on eBay. And, if you monetize for time spent travelling and hotel costs, toys are generally cheaper on eBay. The same, if not more, news about upcoming toys and comics is released at *other* (more credible) conventions (that have as many, if not more, opportunities for autographs and panels as BotCon).
I suppose going to BotCon to meet/hang out with other people who like Transformers is out of the question?
Onslaught Six wrote:Re: Wreckers. Prowl said that this might cockblock a "real" Ruination recolour, but...look at it again. Green Swindle. Blue Brawl. White Blastoff. Blue-and-red Vortex. With the exception of Impactor, you're getting that.
Heh, you’re right. Still wouldn’t put it past Hasbro to do a Valdigus recolor later down the line, in that case. Dang, four different versions revealed before the toy had even been released, not bad. And I’m not even mad about excessive redecos in this case. It’s Bruticus! It’s tradition!
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

BWprowl wrote: I suppose going to BotCon to meet/hang out with other people who like Transformers is out of the question?
And there it is. Most everyone I've ever talked with about BotCon is excited for it only for the chance to meet voice actors and other fans/friends from online forums. Back when BotCon was just a teeny tiny little convention with no official involvement from Hasbro, meeting other fans really was the only reason to go.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I presumed they were talking about the show, wherein it would be easy to cram guys into the background and as cameos. Hell, look at how huge the roster of Animated was by the end, thanks to such things.
Good catch. Hearing Hasbro talk about content still sounds a bit odd to me though....

I don’t have Grapple yet (Siiiiiiix!!!!), but doesn’t he have those dumb open hands that can’t hold anything? I greatly prefer fists, in general.
The open hands can hold things. There is a bit less margin for error in terms of setting the pegs. But, unless you happen to get a bum copy, there should not be any problems. Either way, the aesthetic benefits are well worth the mechanical cost.
Dang Dom, not only are you way behind, you’re jumping to some vicious, already disproved conclusions. We knew the FoC Combaticons were Scramble City ages ago, and what’s more, that the hands and feet for them are *built into* the figures to flip out for each limb configuration. From what I’ve seen, I strongly suspect that Vortex at least has a separate hand folded in each of his leg halves so that he can be either a left or right arm.
I hope that you are right.

Couldn’t possibly turn out any worse than a season’s worth of toys disappearing 2-3 years in a row.
I beg to differ good sir.

If Hasbro implements a quota system that restricts what store can order (an idea just stupid enough that I can see Hasbro trying it) or mandates that stores order some ratio of later toys for earlier toys, it could discourage retailer in the long run. The obvious consequence of this would be multiple waves worth of toys being scarce. Imagine....every wave having that same scarcity of a tail-end wave.

This scenario is all to plausible.

I suppose going to BotCon to meet/hang out with other people who like Transformers is out of the question?
Given the cost of the trip, and the other ways to talk with TF fans (phone, email, forums), getting to meet other fans in person is less an incentive now than it was in the 90s or earlier.

BotCon's business model would have been gold in the days before the internet. But, the "value" of the dealer room and just hanging around are diminished by the fact of there being viable alternatives. The best and most unique things that conventions can offer now are autographs and panels.
Back when BotCon was just a teeny tiny little convention with no official involvement from Hasbro, meeting other fans really was the only reason to go.
The internet and the general after-market were less developed at the time. And, as early 1997, BotCon was getting real guests for panels and autographs.

Heh, you’re right. Still wouldn’t put it past Hasbro to do a Valdigus recolor later down the line, in that case. Dang, four different versions revealed before the toy had even been released, not bad. And I’m not even mad about excessive redecos in this case. It’s Bruticus! It’s tradition!
If nothing else, the base colours on a few of the Wreckers make it easy to do a custom Vuldigus. (Faction sigils and some colour mapping would still be an issue. But, that beats applying a new base colour.)

Dom
-interviewed Furman over the phone in 1997.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Dominic wrote: If nothing else, the base colours on a few of the Wreckers make it easy to do a custom Vuldigus. (Faction sigils and some colour mapping would still be an issue. But, that beats applying a new base colour.)
This is what reprolabels is for. all one has to do is cover up that 2013 foc wreckers autobots symbols with decepticon repro labels faction symbols stickes.