Is it worth selling new stuff on Ebay?

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

IMHO below:

I say no. due to buyers not paying sales tax. Also due to the huge ebay fees & Paypal fees.

I noticed "on average" most who sell newer retail store items on ebay. barely make over $7 to $10 in profits. more than half of these profits go towards store tax,Gas,ebay fees & paypal fees.

I honestly think it's only worst selling older stuff on ebay that you've had for a few years. enjoyed and then out grew.

I just don't think it's worth much profit. to run to retail stores. waste all that gas. list stuff on ebay. get barely $10 in profit sales. due to Tax,gas,ebay & paypal fees.

Since most buyers on ebay don't pay any sales tax. this is another thing sellers pay that they don't get refunded/compensated for.

I suspose their are those ebay sellers that make a few bucks profit in charging illegial/high shipping fees. but the buyer has the option to ask for a shipping refund before or after he pays. or the buyer will leave a negative feedback.

I got inspired to create this thread. because I just went to ebay. I saw a few sellers already selling SDCC 2012 exclusives. I thought to myself how much profit can these sellers really make off these sdcc 2012 items after taxes,after paypal & ebay fees,after gas fees. the profits needs to at least exceed 60% of what the person paid for the item,to make this worth it.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Is it worth selling new stuff on Ebay?

Post by Shockwave »

I just saw this thread. I would say no, it is not worth selling new stuff on ebay. In fact, I'll even go one step further and say that it's not worth selling on ebay AT ALL! A few months ago I sold a MOTU Classics figure on there. I had been paid and downloaded the money to my checking account. A few days later, I saw a charge on my checking account to me for the same amount. Come to find out that paypal was holding the money until the buyer received it and agreed that it was as described! So I called ebay and asked if they could override the hold and... after several years of successful selling with positive feedback, I basically got told to fuck off. I'm done with ebay. I'll still buy stuff from ebay, but I absolutely will NEVER sell on there ever again. Pardon the language but, fuck 'em. Fuck 'em hard.

Having said that, in the case of sellers preselling exclusives, they might actually make money on those sales because of the exclusive nature of the figures. It's like putting the Botcon attendee figure on ebay the night you get it. You're gonna make money on that. Of course, that's assuming that ebay actually releases said money and assuming that sellers don't just get screwed outright when the buyer says it's "not as described" leaving the seller with no figures and no money. God, I hate ebay.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Yeah, eBay's a buyer's market right now. First I've heard about them just stopping payment like that; it's not like they opened a dispute, yeah?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:Yeah, eBay's a buyer's market right now. First I've heard about them just stopping payment like that; it's not like they opened a dispute, yeah?
That's correct, there was no dispute between me and the buyer.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Paypal does that crap all the time, it's SO frustrating. I had one where it was supposed to be based on the tracking data - tracking goes through and buyer leaves me positive feedback and it STILL is on hold for another 3 days with no justification given.

Paypal and ebay fees eat you alive, it's pretty brutal - the buyer is paying way too much for an item and you're making pennies while the middleman gets rich from both sides of the transaction. Totally not worth it for new stuff.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

JediTricks wrote:Paypal and ebay fees eat you alive, it's pretty brutal - the buyer is paying way too much for an item and you're making pennies while the middleman gets rich from both sides of the transaction. Totally not worth it for new stuff.
I came to the conclusion these types of ebay sellers are too stupid. low on intelligence & almost no reasoning abilities to even notice their losing money by selling newer store bought items on ebay.

I'd classify these type of ebay scalpers as Trolls. Because all their really doing is making it harder for buyers to find these items at stores. making pennies to the dollar after ebay & paypal take their fees is just a waste of one's valuable time.