TF:P's main launch has made no sense

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: TF:P's main launch has made no sense

Post by Dominic »

Could be worse though: It could be the Takara TFPrime line with blank figures that have to be stickered, glued-on monocolor Mini-Con ports, and packed-in shoddy Mini-Cons that they expect you to clip off sprues, build, and sticker yourself.
As a customizer, I would like this. As a collector, not so much. If nothing else, I want my toys of official characters to be factory standard. And, if a kid cannot paint or apply stickers, then it all but guarantees that their toys look bad.
As for not seeing FE, the internet has ruined that for all fans, we all know what we're missing
But, kids and the rest of the general market are unlikely to know (and by extension unlikely to care) about that they are missing.
so naturally Hasbro makes a dumbed-down version with TF, to capture the over-saturated and constantly-failing action-game-piece-figure market? Then again, they also put out Star Wars Fighter Pods which are a direct response to the Squinkies lines, except at 3x the cost, and no Star Wars market showing any interest in the concept.
Most large brands have a "like this other thing, but it is our brand" sub-line. Lunch boxes are a basic example of this dynamic.

The problem is that the tertiary crap is generally purchased by certain types of buyers.

Completists, (which I would imagine "Star Wars" actually has relatively few of at this point), orconfused grandparents (who do not buy much) are the most common.

Fans of "Star Wars" or "Transformers" have better ways to get their fix. And, people who like the games can get better games.

Kids don't generally think that way, but BB has a very limited play pattern since he doesn't talk and thus doesn't emote, doesn't yell at enemies,

As kids, my cousin and I worked around this with SnakeEyes in "GI Joe". We just made sure that there were other characters for him to interact with.

We tried, "he talks/mumbles" a bit, but that was stupid.

GI Joe:ARAH was a great line for building an army of individuals and buying vehicles for those individuals,

Money aside, yes. But, in practical terms, even if I allocated all of my money (limited allowance and gift money) and all of my
yearl "gift slots" (x-amount for holidays, birthdays etc), I still had to make choices. I generally stayed with "Transformers" and
"GI Joe". I knew that every non-TF of non-Joe that I got was one less toy from a line that I collected.

But, ARAH was *huge*, even discounting vehicles.

Late 1986 was a good time for my toy collecting. As much as getting diabetes sucked, being in the hospital meant that I got a few extra toys,
and got to complete Predaking. But, there was plenty more that I missed from that year.

Ditto for "GI Joe". I almost got all of the 1986 figures. (I skipped Iceberg because I had a thing against "season specific" toys.) But, even as a kid I knew that there was no way in hell that I would be getting more than a few vehicles.

If there were fewer toys in 1986, then army building would have been a more practical option. With "Prime", there are few enough toys. But, how many kids can actually find the toys that do exist?

they go way in for blind-pack and build-it-yourself gashopon
The only way to do it is to buy a sealed case. As expensive as that is, it is usually still cheaper.

Alternatively, if you only like a few figures out a large set, it is worth buying pre-opened figures as a premium.

Of course, neither of the "good" options described here are practical for most kids.

Dom
-getting sick of using NotePad for this.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

JediTricks wrote: The first Legion Prime figures don't count as a launch because it's just Cliff and BB, I think, and they're in a transition case with DOTM cards and new cards in it from the same SKU.
Those first waves of Legion that showed up in my area before the street date had Ratchet and Vehicon in along with Cliff and BB. Just sayin’.
My Target also had Commanders only on the endcaps, only the DVD packs, and they sold through very fast because they were on sale for $8 down from $10. My TRUs have just started getting Commanders, they put them both on regular pegs and on sidekicks, but the regular pegs have Commanders at $10 and separate regular pegs for Commanders w/ DVDs at $12 - classy, huh?
I didn’t even know you could buy Commanders sans the DVD, huh. They’re all eight bucks over at my Targets, but don’t seem to be selling *too* too fast.
WM here has had 1 figure next to some very empty pegs, I don't remember at all what it was - not any pricepoint or character, though safe money says BB.
I actually swung by Wal-Mart last night just to check- They had the standard assortment of Deluxes, Voyagers, and Cyberverse (Legion and Commanders), though the Deluxes were mainly just a couple Wheeljacks and tons of Bumblewarmer. Only DOTM product they had left were enough Deluxe Mudflaps for one to go on every peg they had allocated for DOTM. Ha ha, it begins!
Not sure if you know, but the DOTM Ark playset is on clearance at Targets right now.
Dude, I was so excited, and that thing was so awesome, I bought it at full price *at Toys R Us* the first day I saw it here. It is kind of tempting to get multiples on clearance and use their connection points to hook them together into one big, meched-out circular playset of awesomeness though.
Around here, from day 1 on, the DOTM pegs have been clogged with BBs of every scale and variation imaginable.
Just a difference of areas then, I guess. NitroBee was the only one who spent any considerable time on the shelves here (aside from the ill-advised LeaderBee, of course). I don’t know if DOTM really had a defining shelfwarmer, even the Twins sold through decently at Target.

One thing I’ve noticed (and I might go into more corroborative detail on this once I get home and can make time for research) is that it seems that toys that are yellow are more likely to shelfwarm than others. Just off the top of my head: Universe Classics Cheetor, Movie 1 Voyager Mudflap, ROTF Tuner Mudflap (with his added yellow highlights)…
Almost certainly it's market research telling them kids don't want bad guys, just like the Japanese don't like bad guys and don't know what pickup trucks are. But they've taken it way too extreme, and the line is suffering badly for it.
Well, that and the fact that Prime only has, like, five villains. Some reason they can’t pull a BW (or hell, Movie) with this line and chuck in a bunch of cool toys that have nothing to do with the show?
Ratchet is missing a ton of detail, and he doesn't have the zig-zag on his vehicle mode! His siren lights are WHITE! 2 tiny red square and the rest is WHITE.
Eh, he’s still got plenty of defining red everywhere, the silver on his abdomen, all that white covering up the clear plastic on the vehicle’s midsection so he can have everyone’s precious clear windows (never understood it myself. It eats up paint budget, can lead to color-matching issues, and inevitably results in chipping down the line. Not worth it.). I’d say he’s comparable to most toys released in the last few years. Of course, it’s important that I admit that I don’t get *nearly* as wound up about paint apps as everyone else seems to.
I didn't know that about the line being blank and having stickers, or that their minicons are build-yourself -- I can't say I'd mind too much right now though if it meant having minicons that were better than the ones in PCC.
From what I’ve seen…not so much. I wish I’d saved that pic I saw of Ratchet’s completed Mini-Con, thing just looked unfortunate. Also, I’m not sure, but I think the Mini-Cons are legoformers as well.
I'm badmouthing the LEGION product itself - cheap, flimsy, under-detailed, poorly painted, and unsatisfying to transform or enjoy as a robot or a vehicle. Compare the basic figures from ANY era to Legion and Legion comes up short: G1 minibots, BW and BM basics, RID Spychanger 2-packs, Armada mini-con 3packs, Energon Omnicons, Cybertron Scout-class and mini-con 2-packs, Movie 1 Real Gear, ROTF Scout-class, even shoddy Animated Activators. Every single one of those basics is head and shoulders above the quality of product and value for Legion, Legion I think is a terrible ambassador for Transformers because it's taking advantage of the kid-friendly pricepoint with underwhelming, unsatisfying product that won't lead another generation of kids to start a collection off with a single figure. Cyberverse is closer, but now has priced itself out of basic territory and the product is already getting worse in design.
I’d say calling the G1 Mini-Bots better than Legion is a bit of a stretch. Even the iffier Legions like the Twins are miles ahead of guys like Brawn or Warpath as far as transformation and robot mode playability. Ditto for Spychangers, actually, who are way more simplified and non-intricate than the Legion guys.
then BW B'Boom - the very first and ONLY modern Transformer whose instructions I lost, left them in Jeremy Sung's minivan. :p
I never keep the instructions to my TFs. Hell, half the time I never even read them.
I am not seeing a revision case with just OP right now, I'm seeing wave 1 which is even packed but so far hasn't shown much of its face, and w1r1 which is 3x OP, 1x Megs; with wave 2 being 2x OP and 1x Starscream and Bulkhead.
I’d read about the alleged All-Prime Prime case on DvD’s page, not sure how accurate it was.
Except in reverse, since the movie 1 figures weren't as good as the ROTF versions? I can see that. It reminds me more of ROTF being great design and then DOTM being poorer design for deluxe, voyager, and leader.
I wouldn’t call ROTF ‘great design’, it had dropped gimmicks, gimped molding and shoddy quality control everywhere. The first Movie toys at least felt more complete and fully-realized, even if they weren’t quite up to being fully screen-accurate. Compare that to stuff like ROTF Leader Prime’s arm-crippling blades, Voyager Starscream’s static-molded guns and non-retractable hands, or Sideways’s fully-molded blade-spinning mechanism and claw-extending gimmick that just wound up being solid pieces. Later toys, and particularly the gold-box/HFTD series did get better though, I’ll admit.

Anyway, I STILL don’t understand the way people dump on the DOTM molds. They’re either superior to their preceding versions (Barricade being a good example, Megatron too), or good reinterpretations at different sizes (Deluxe Prime and Starscream are great). Yeah, there are still some losers (Voyager Prime), but you have those in every line. I wonder if people don’t just jump to hating DOTM because of MechTech and the knee-jerk ‘Rawrg gimmicks bad’ reaction. Just toss the Mechtechs in a bin if you don’t like them.
This I don't see, they are still using it as their mainline, and Generations picks up the slack a little later in the year with retailers who are currently treading water on it.
Well yeah, they’re using it as the main-line *now*, but I don’t know that that was always their intention. I’d heard their initial plan was just to run the FE molds in a still-running Generations line, like the WfC toys.
I suppose it could be response though to retailers actively not ordering the FE product line because they didn't think their shelves could support both the FE SKU and the upcoming RID SKUs since they had little faith in Prime as a license. But it seems like a lot of the line changes came too early in development for that.
Exactly, they had the FE molds ready to go as a subset in Generations, but then decided somewhere along the line to have Prime carry the brand, so they had to redo the whole thing to fit with consistent gimmicks and aesthetics across a whole ‘Prime’ line. But they still had those FE molds, and wanted to get *some* return on them, so they got released the way they did.
Perhaps true, but they said early on they were planning for figures to have interactivity with the lights from the Cyberverse vehicles, it's why Voyager OP and Megatron have so much clear plastic on them.
I thought that was just for the interaction with the lights on their own weapons? I haven’t seen much of the upcoming Cyberverse vehicles, I’m interested in what they turn out to be.
Then again, they also put out Star Wars Fighter Pods which are a direct response to the Squinkies lines, except at 3x the cost, and no Star Wars market showing any interest in the concept.
I’d guess that the Fighter Pods are less aimed at getting the Star Wars market to buy Squinkies and more at getting the Skquinkies market to buy Star Wars toys.
Shockwave wrote:Wow. Epic fail Hasbro. At this point, I think I'd rather collect Rescue Bots.
HA! I totally forgot that line was still out there.

Tell me about it. I’ve been looking for the basic-scale Chase the Police Bot for ages.
Dominic wrote:Cliffjumper I could give you by that thinking, he's in the first episode, but Soundwave and Wheeljack? They're not going to be kid favorites from the show no matter the launch timing, especially since Wheeljack didn't show up for months, and Soundwave doesn't really DO anything for a while.
They look cool. Sometimes that’s all kids need. Look at Boba Fett.
Also, a side note, but I still think it's incredibly stupid that Bumblebee has no voicebox on TF:P yet his annoying sounds are entirely intelligible to EVERYBODY INCLUDING THE HUMANS but not the audience.
This was one of my primary complaints back when I was first watching/reviewing/bitching about the show. Really, what is the point of it? At least the audience can grasp what MovieBee is trying to say on the same level that characters in the movie are.
Japanese collecting markets are more fragmented than ours, they go way in for blind-pack and build-it-yourself gashopon (candy machine toys but the toys are higher quality and cost like $5 from a machine). I have a few Trek vessels from over there, during that time 3 different Japanese companies release high-quality Trek vessels as blind-pack build-yourself gashopon, that shit sells. Kotobukiya was able to blind-pack sell segments of a very high-end build-yourself Star Wars diorama (cut-away X-wing) that I think all told even if you got lucky and got each on the first try would set you back $175.
For the record, I actually enjoy blind-packed stuff. There’s a fun ‘rush’ to it, and it’s conducive to impulse-buying/collecting. It’s one reason I enjoyed grabbing those Mega Bloks Halo figures or the blind-packed FIM Ponies. I’ve honestly thought Hasbro could do well to sell blind-packed GI Joe troopers of different sorts. Not to mention what they could’ve done with Mini-Cons and drone limbs in PCC (man, why did Takara never do anything with that line? The Japanese could’ve gone nuts over it had they handled it right!).
I was thinking the same thing, and even with OP they eventually give the character a rest for a few waves. Not BB. Apparently 2007 was so scarring running out of Transformers with such high demand that we're still feeling the wrong-headed aftermath 5 years down the road: "gotta have BB for the kiddies!!!"
I guess Hasbro would rather have product left on store-shelved due to overproducing rather than losing sales to kids because they didn’t produce enough product? We all know it’s hard to hit a happy medium.
138 Scourge wrote:Then again, I honestly have no idea if I'd have bought more or less Prime toys if they'd come out sooner. It took me a few episodes to decide that the show was not for me, so maybe if I'd seen the first couple episodes of Prime, and then seen, say, a Bulkhead toy, it'd have been on. I know I would've been more willing to buy a Knockout when I first saw him on the show. But then again, my distaste for the show's worn off some since I haven't seen it for months, so I'm more willing to appreciate the toys as just toys, and not as characters in a show I don't like.
I'm sorta in the same boat. I did that with Animated, but that toy line really caught me and by the time it did, the show was too far in to catch up, and now it's unavailable as a whole in any format.
Ditto me as well. I think I’m over what a bad taste the episodes of Prime that killed it for me left in my mouth, and I can enjoy getting toys of the designs I *do* like, such as Starscream, Soundwave, and Ratchet. I’m looking forward to Knock Out.
I'm not down with Kre-o though, I want to dig it, but it's not enough of a Transformer for me.
If they produced some Kre-O TFs that could actually transform between both modes, I admit, I’d be all over that.
Last edited by BWprowl on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Dude, you just quoted yourself. Are you drunk?

Either way, yellow toys are generally understood to be more likely to sell to kids. The problem with Cheetor and the other examples you listed is that they were either bad or simply less marketable than other toys on shelves at the time.

Dom
-has quoted himself before, so....
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:Dude, you just quoted yourself. Are you drunk?
Bwah...? Are you drunk? I just quickly proofread that post, I didn't quote myself anywhere.

EDIT: Okay, I see it. The quote was JT's, but I backspaced the quote brackets wrong and it ended up labeling it as something I'd posted. Just fixed it!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

I will agree,that it's taking Hasbro & Takara way too long to release the main line TF Prime toys.

I remember in 2008,When the animated toys first hit stores. Hasbro in the first release of animated toys released waves 1 thru 3 of various size levels.

Thus far,for the TF Prime toy line we barely got wave 1 released in stores & it's been 3 months since the initial first release in stores.

Most movie-verse toy lines,Release the first 2 maybe 3 waves on the first initial release shipment.

It's worth a serious mention that most main TF toy lines that supported by a media like a cartoon or movie. release the first wave leader size assortment on the first initial release shipment to stores.

I'm wondering if a joint release of TF Prime toys by both Hasbro & Takara is making TFP toy release in stores much slower. but this can't be the case because hasbro & takara have seperate manufactoring factories where they produce the TFP toys. Maybe the master molds needs to be shipped back & forth between the hasbro & takara manufactoring factories.

to add coal to the fire. the TF Prime toys were released a whole year later after the first cartoon episode of TF Prime aired on USA televisions. To release only wave one in stores a year later is just extremly slow.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:
As for not seeing FE, the internet has ruined that for all fans, we all know what we're missing
But, kids and the rest of the general market are unlikely to know (and by extension unlikely to care) about that they are missing.
Which is why I said "fans" and "we".
so naturally Hasbro makes a dumbed-down version with TF, to capture the over-saturated and constantly-failing action-game-piece-figure market? Then again, they also put out Star Wars Fighter Pods which are a direct response to the Squinkies lines, except at 3x the cost, and no Star Wars market showing any interest in the concept.
Most large brands have a "like this other thing, but it is our brand" sub-line. Lunch boxes are a basic example of this dynamic. [/quote]Lunch boxes are not alternate toys competing with the main toy line's money.
Kids don't generally think that way, but BB has a very limited play pattern since he doesn't talk and thus doesn't emote, doesn't yell at enemies,
As kids, my cousin and I worked around this with SnakeEyes in "GI Joe". We just made sure that there were other characters for him to interact with.

We tried, "he talks/mumbles" a bit, but that was stupid. [/quote]Snake Eyes is expressed in body language, posture, and most importantly, unique actions (just dressing for work every day in ninja commando gear is expressive enough, but then actually using a katana and uzi at the same time, that is all any kid ever needs from an action figure), BB enjoys no unique actions or look or body language, he's just terrible at emoting except with his big stupid eyes and rubbery cartoon posture which don't come through on the figure.

GI Joe:ARAH was a great line for building an army of individuals and buying vehicles for those individuals,
Money aside, yes. But, in practical terms, even if I allocated all of my money (limited allowance and gift money) and all of my
yearl "gift slots" (x-amount for holidays, birthdays etc), I still had to make choices. I generally stayed with "Transformers" and
"GI Joe". I knew that every non-TF of non-Joe that I got was one less toy from a line that I collected.

But, ARAH was *huge*, even discounting vehicles.

Late 1986 was a good time for my toy collecting. As much as getting diabetes sucked, being in the hospital meant that I got a few extra toys,
and got to complete Predaking. But, there was plenty more that I missed from that year.

Ditto for "GI Joe". I almost got all of the 1986 figures. (I skipped Iceberg because I had a thing against "season specific" toys.) But, even as a kid I knew that there was no way in hell that I would be getting more than a few vehicles. [/quote]Heh heh, season specific figures... so, no Shipwreck because he's all about Fleet Week? ;)

ARAH vehicles started at like $6, many were $10-$18 IIRC. There were a ton of cool vehicles under the big $30 pricepoint pieces. Not everything has to be the USS Flagg.

That's cool that TF and ARAH helped you through a tough time, '86 was an excellent year for ARAH and pretty damned good for G1 as well.
If there were fewer toys in 1986, then army building would have been a more practical option. With "Prime", there are few enough toys. But, how many kids can actually find the toys that do exist?
When we were kids, "army building" was literally building an army out of so many unique characters that were affordable and findable. Now it's generic guys and they're impossible to find.
they go way in for blind-pack and build-it-yourself gashopon
The only way to do it is to buy a sealed case. As expensive as that is, it is usually still cheaper.
Not all Gashopon cases are "complete" waves, and they do a lot of "rare piece" runs that are only 1 per 10 cases or something along those lines. I have my Furuta Enterprise-E right here, it's the chase figure in that wave, goes for $25 and up for a 4" plastic starship, and I was lucky to get it apparently.
Alternatively, if you only like a few figures out a large set, it is worth buying pre-opened figures as a premium.

Of course, neither of the "good" options described here are practical for most kids.
Neither is a good option for collectors like me either.
-getting sick of using NotePad for this.
That's fixed, right?

BWprowl wrote:
JediTricks wrote: The first Legion Prime figures don't count as a launch because it's just Cliff and BB, I think, and they're in a transition case with DOTM cards and new cards in it from the same SKU.
Those first waves of Legion that showed up in my area before the street date had Ratchet and Vehicon in along with Cliff and BB. Just sayin’.
Pretty sure that's wave 2.
I didn’t even know you could buy Commanders sans the DVD, huh. They’re all eight bucks over at my Targets, but don’t seem to be selling *too* too fast.
Every Target here has sold through of every Commander except Optimus (damn this stupid show title, every time I type "Prime" for that character and then have to erase it for clarity's sake).
Dude, I was so excited, and that thing was so awesome, I bought it at full price *at Toys R Us* the first day I saw it here. It is kind of tempting to get multiples on clearance and use their connection points to hook them together into one big, meched-out circular playset of awesomeness though.
Glad you dig it. I was into the idea from the first mention, but when they said it only really fits Legion figures, I lost my interest. So these TFP vehicles holding Commanders, that is more my speed.
One thing I’ve noticed (and I might go into more corroborative detail on this once I get home and can make time for research) is that it seems that toys that are yellow are more likely to shelfwarm than others. Just off the top of my head: Universe Classics Cheetor, Movie 1 Voyager Mudflap, ROTF Tuner Mudflap (with his added yellow highlights)…
Interesting idea, although it could just be coincidence - M1 BB certainly didn't pegwarm for that first year. Also, one of the current pegwarming DOTM BBs is black.
Well, that and the fact that Prime only has, like, five villains. Some reason they can’t pull a BW (or hell, Movie) with this line and chuck in a bunch of cool toys that have nothing to do with the show?
I dunno what they're thinking, they've sorta mismanaged the timing on this line anyway, so entertainment support really shouldn't be so important to them. Then again, Animated was also all-show-characters, IIRC, and that line was good. They need more villains here, not just Megatron repaints either.
Eh, he’s still got plenty of defining red everywhere, the silver on his abdomen, all that white covering up the clear plastic on the vehicle’s midsection so he can have everyone’s precious clear windows (never understood it myself. It eats up paint budget, can lead to color-matching issues, and inevitably results in chipping down the line. Not worth it.). I’d say he’s comparable to most toys released in the last few years. Of course, it’s important that I admit that I don’t get *nearly* as wound up about paint apps as everyone else seems to.
I generally like clear windows, it gives a more real-world feel to a figure. There's something annoyingly chintzy about the Armada cars having painted windows, for example. Anyway, back to Ratchet, he looks really plain, there's not all that much red even compared to the Legion figure. The red they gave him is all lip-service too with thin paint and obvious white borders. IMO, he looks horribly cheap.
I’d say calling the G1 Mini-Bots better than Legion is a bit of a stretch. Even the iffier Legions like the Twins are miles ahead of guys like Brawn or Warpath as far as transformation and robot mode playability. Ditto for Spychangers, actually, who are way more simplified and non-intricate than the Legion guys.
Comparing G1 Mini-Bots to the rest of the G1 figures, they are much closer in sync to those toys than Legion are to these, size and value and build quality. Mini-Bots are simplified, but so are the deluxe figures from that time. Legions also rely way too heavily on ball joints which makes them feel fragile and not look as robot-like on a toy that small. Spychangers are in 2packs, so for the same price as 1 Legion you got 2 Spychangers that had weapons and could be used on Hot Wheels tracks, but most importantly you got TWO of them for $4-5.
I’d read about the alleged All-Prime Prime case on DvD’s page, not sure how accurate it was.
DvD's page is great, but he sometimes takes things at face value which aren't accurate.
I wouldn’t call ROTF ‘great design’, it had dropped gimmicks, gimped molding and shoddy quality control everywhere. The first Movie toys at least felt more complete and fully-realized, even if they weren’t quite up to being fully screen-accurate. Compare that to stuff like ROTF Leader Prime’s arm-crippling blades, Voyager Starscream’s static-molded guns and non-retractable hands, or Sideways’s fully-molded blade-spinning mechanism and claw-extending gimmick that just wound up being solid pieces. Later toys, and particularly the gold-box/HFTD series did get better though, I’ll admit.
It was great design compared to Movie 1 and DOTM in terms of transformation and sculpt and a layered feel. The first movie toys are noticeably simpler in those areas when compared to movie 2's. Talking about Starscream's hands, Prime's blades, Sideways' internal gimmicks that were cut is like judging a painting chiefly on its frame - LC Prime's sculpt, transformation, alt mode, robot mode, articulation, it's all better and more accurate than M1's; Starscream's EVERYTHING is better than M1's. and Sideways is an excellent figure even with those gimmicks nerfed. Saying Sideways or LC Prime are bad because of a little thing here and there is not seeing the forest for the trees.
Anyway, I STILL don’t understand the way people dump on the DOTM molds. They’re either superior to their preceding versions (Barricade being a good example, Megatron too), or good reinterpretations at different sizes (Deluxe Prime and Starscream are great). Yeah, there are still some losers (Voyager Prime), but you have those in every line. I wonder if people don’t just jump to hating DOTM because of MechTech and the knee-jerk ‘Rawrg gimmicks bad’ reaction. Just toss the Mechtechs in a bin if you don’t like them.
DOTM molds are a lesson in frustration. Most have pretty simple, weak decos. Many are fairly simple transformations and have less parts overall. The robots have a simpler, less-layered look to them. More of their budgets are dumped into action-gimmick weapons than figures themselves. There are more facade elements used. There are a lot of shortcuts used in the DOTM line which make it feel cheap and lesser-than. Dlx Starscream is good for what he does, but he gets away with murder having half his torso made up of gaps and a panel folded down from either wing.

You can't really compare Megatron from movie to movie since each design is so different, and Barricade wasn't a new sculpt in ROTF so it's not a good comparison either.
Well yeah, they’re using it as the main-line *now*, but I don’t know that that was always their intention. I’d heard their initial plan was just to run the FE molds in a still-running Generations line, like the WfC toys.

Exactly, they had the FE molds ready to go as a subset in Generations, but then decided somewhere along the line to have Prime carry the brand, so they had to redo the whole thing to fit with consistent gimmicks and aesthetics across a whole ‘Prime’ line. But they still had those FE molds, and wanted to get *some* return on them, so they got released the way they did.
Their SKUs have always been separate, even on early slides, I don't buy that FE was meant to be part of Generations. It doesn't even match their standard business model for TF of having entertainment drive the mainline.
I thought that was just for the interaction with the lights on their own weapons? I haven’t seen much of the upcoming Cyberverse vehicles, I’m interested in what they turn out to be.
They said it specifically about the Voyagers at SDCC last year. I don't have any Voys to confirm, but all 4 Voys in the line so far (OP, Megs, upcoming Starscream and Bulkhead) have clear stuff going on.
I’d guess that the Fighter Pods are less aimed at getting the Star Wars market to buy Squinkies and more at getting the Skquinkies market to buy Star Wars toys.
At triple the price? I dunno, it's not like Squinkies is such a huge collectible brand that it'd warrant that type of gouging from that core audience. Also, their marketing has been squarely at the Star Wars buyers so far, selling it as a slightly-zany lightly-game collectible.
They look cool. Sometimes that’s all kids need. Look at Boba Fett.
Boba Fett is attitude though, it's as much about what he's not doing as what he is. Jango Fett wasn't as popular despite looking cool too, and that's because the more we knew of him, the less cool he was.
This was one of my primary complaints back when I was first watching/reviewing/bitching about the show. Really, what is the point of it? At least the audience can grasp what MovieBee is trying to say on the same level that characters in the movie are.
It seems like they're trying to feel like the movie with him in as many ways as possible, but the TV writers realized it was too difficult and the idea got lost in committee until it just puked out as a mess.
For the record, I actually enjoy blind-packed stuff. There’s a fun ‘rush’ to it, and it’s conducive to impulse-buying/collecting.
Ugh, I hate "rush" buying, I've been stuck in that world collecting TF and Star Wars in "find it now or get it never" for a decade, it's awful to live there. I feel like I got into a blind-pack, impulse-buy line about 8 years ago, but I cannot remember what it was - it was fun in the moment but down the road it felt incredibly disappointing as a non-complete collection with a lot of extra stuff I didn't want. Hot Wheels tried this a couple years ago too, didn't pan out so well.
It’s one reason I enjoyed grabbing those Mega Bloks Halo figures or the blind-packed FIM Ponies. I’ve honestly thought Hasbro could do well to sell blind-packed GI Joe troopers of different sorts.
That's not a bad idea on GI Joe Troopers if they're all relatively generic troopers instead of individual characters. Mix-n-match limbs, heads, accessories, and paint schemes would do well (except for the "gotta catch 'em all" collectors, that'd suck for them).
Ditto me as well. I think I’m over what a bad taste the episodes of Prime that killed it for me left in my mouth, and I can enjoy getting toys of the designs I *do* like, such as Starscream, Soundwave, and Ratchet. I’m looking forward to Knock Out.
I was hoping it'd work for me that way, but so far there are more toys I don't want than do, there's a lot of frustrating compromises in the US products so far - paint and simplified sculpts. I'm sitting through the show now but still hating it, hoping that something will work, punching the clock once a week.
If they produced some Kre-O TFs that could actually transform between both modes, I admit, I’d be all over that.
That'd be a bit step in the right direction.

Tigermegatron wrote:Thus far,for the TF Prime toy line we barely got wave 1 released in stores & it's been 3 months since the initial first release in stores.
It's been 6 if you count the FEs.
I'm wondering if a joint release of TF Prime toys by both Hasbro & Takara is making TFP toy release in stores much slower. but this can't be the case because hasbro & takara have seperate manufactoring factories where they produce the TFP toys. Maybe the master molds needs to be shipped back & forth between the hasbro & takara manufactoring factories.
I don't think that's correct, I think Takara and Hasbro manufacture from the same factories, just with different materials and decos and budgets. The molds are generally stored at the factories and are exceedingly difficult to move even from storage to the floor, so moving them to another factory seems really outlandish and expensive.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Which is why I said "fans" and "we".
We the fans are a small portion of the market though. Hasbro was foolish to waste money on tooling. But, they only alienated a few people with this kind of behavior. And, most most of the fandom will keep coming back for more. You know this.

Lunch boxes are not alternate toys competing with the main toy line's money.
Hasbro would argue, likely wrongly, that they are cutting in to the Bakugan market, not the TF market with Bot-Shits.
ARAH vehicles started at like $6, many were $10-$18 IIRC. There were a ton of cool vehicles under the big $30 pricepoint pieces. Not everything has to be the USS Flagg.
Yeah, but there was stil the question of "number of vehicles" relative to "number of sought after toys in general" relative to "number of toys I could reasonably expect". And, the more desirable vehicles (the ones that were worth the "gift slot", tended to be the larger vehicles.

My two largest Joe hauls were the result of yard sales that gave way to "older kids looking for ciggarette money" sales. And, you know what? Free markets dammit. I was fully in favour of minors smoking because it opened up venues fr me to get/replace older Joe toys.

No joke, one day, I drank all of the soda in the house for the deposit money. I mean, i drank everything, large bottles, medium bottles, cans. I drank it all....and came up with about $1.50 in change. Then, I went next door to where my mother was at a yard party, and asked if we had more soda. She was....not happy with me.

When we were kids, "army building" was literally building an army out of so many unique characters that were affordable and findable. Now it's generic guys and they're impossible to find.
The "findable" thing is key here. Generic army building works for everybody. Kids get a hoarde of troopers. And, toy companies save a bundle on tooling. Of course, with the current model, toy companies save of shipping costs and book keeping costs from tallying up sales, and kids save money on toys that they cannot find. So, I guess it still works out....uh....

Neither is a good option for collectors like me either
It depends how much you want the figure. I would not take that ride for a secondary item. But, for something that I really wanted, oh hell yeah. (For example, I like Minicons, so it was worth it for me to have bought full cases of them a few years back. Similarly, I liked a few figures from Waves 7 and 8 of Takara's PVC line about 10 years back. So, it was worth buying them pre-opened. But, I would not take that ride for, I dunno, blind packed mini-statues that I only wanted one or two of.
Spychangers are in 2packs, so for the same price as 1 Legion you got 2 Spychangers that had weapons and could be used on Hot Wheels tracks, but most importantly you got TWO of them for $4-5.
Is two figures with less articulation and worse engineering better than 1 figure with more articulation? (Good job correcting for inflation on the price though.)

At triple the price? I dunno, it's not like Squinkies is such a huge collectible brand that it'd warrant that type of gouging from that core audience. Also, their marketing has been squarely at the Star Wars buyers so far, selling it as a slightly-zany lightly-game collectible.
It is an excercise in brand recognition. They are hoping that "Star Wars" fans with a gaming itch will "stay at home" and buy "Star Wars" gaming stuff and that some gamers will buy the game with recognizable branding. And, yes, that is cheap.
Ugh, I hate "rush" buying, I've been stuck in that world collecting TF and Star Wars in "find it now or get it never" for a decade, it's awful to live there. I feel like I got into a blind-pack, impulse-buy line about 8 years ago, but I cannot remember what it was - it was fun in the moment but down the road it felt incredibly disappointing as a non-complete collection with a lot of extra stuff I didn't want.
I completely agree. This ain't fun. Even when I like an entire wave/line, buying the whole case is....expensive even if I like everything in it. Even if you customize, as I do, having too many extras is still a bother. (Seriously, you can only sort through so many Dai Atlas PVCs.)
I'm sitting through the show now but still hating it, hoping that something will work, punching the clock once a week
Why bother with the show then? Seriously, as crazy as I make myself for comics, I like what I read...when I can find the damned things. Do you think that I would bother going to the shop once a week if I did not like most of what I was reading?

Dom
-well, at least Bot Shits gives precedent for customizing TFU Barricade or Bayformer Prowl.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:We the fans are a small portion of the market though. Hasbro was foolish to waste money on tooling. But, they only alienated a few people with this kind of behavior. And, most most of the fandom will keep coming back for more. You know this.
I'd say right now I know more fans on the brink of leaving than ever before while there was an active line and entertainment, even during the BW/BM days. As for casual consumers, I also know more of them who are paying attention to the brand via the internet and some of them are also frustrated by the FE thing. I think between the backlash on the FE thing and the frustrations of the mainline, TF is in a more precarious place than it has been in a while, since maybe the post-BM but pre-RID days.

My two largest Joe hauls were the result of yard sales that gave way to "older kids looking for ciggarette money" sales. And, you know what? Free markets dammit. I was fully in favour of minors smoking because it opened up venues fr me to get/replace older Joe toys.
No joke, one day, I drank all of the soda in the house for the deposit money. I mean, i drank everything, large bottles, medium bottles, cans. I drank it all....and came up with about $1.50 in change. Then, I went next door to where my mother was at a yard party, and asked if we had more soda. She was....not happy with me.
Damn dude, how much soda did you people have?!? If you had type-2 diabetes I'd be totally making a joke about this being the cause. :p
The "findable" thing is key here. Generic army building works for everybody. Kids get a hoarde of troopers. And, toy companies save a bundle on tooling. Of course, with the current model, toy companies save of shipping costs and book keeping costs from tallying up sales, and kids save money on toys that they cannot find. So, I guess it still works out....uh....
Not seeing your point, army-builders are often short-packed because they're bad guys or some other moronic excuse these days, so it just means no army building.
Spychangers are in 2packs, so for the same price as 1 Legion you got 2 Spychangers that had weapons and could be used on Hot Wheels tracks, but most importantly you got TWO of them for $4-5.
Is two figures with less articulation and worse engineering better than 1 figure with more articulation? (Good job correcting for inflation on the price though.)
Last night while thinking about this topic I played with the 2 Legion figures I have and still found them shitty toys where I enjoyed the Spychanger 2packs quite a bit, both new molds and reuses. Just because something has more joints doesn't automatically make it better or even better-engineered. Drop Crankcase and WARS from the same 2nd story balcony and tell me you think you'll find Crankcase in as good of shape as WARS when you get to the ground floor, no matter if it's in robot or vehicle mode. The Legion figures have thin-wall construction especially on their ball-joints and feel fragile and shitty, they're annoyingly fiddly with too little reward in either direction, and they always have frustrating compromises throughout that hamper their looks. When you bought a Spychanger 2pack, you knew what you were getting and they didn't disappoint.

BTW, at $4 a 2-pack in 2001, inflation would jack them all the way up to 2012 dollars: $5.13. Not an impressive inflation jump considering how much Hasbro would have us think these fuckers should cost nowadays.
I'm sitting through the show now but still hating it, hoping that something will work, punching the clock once a week
Why bother with the show then? Seriously, as crazy as I make myself for comics, I like what I read...when I can find the damned things. Do you think that I would bother going to the shop once a week if I did not like most of what I was reading?
Mainly to give some level of context to the figures I'm buying. Season 1 is on Netflix in full HD so I can catch up on missed content at my leisure, and without watching later episodes I wouldn't know who Breakdown or Knock Out are with their figures coming out... "soon". I also wouldn't know how badly Hasbro mucked up KO's sculpt and paint though, nor would I only hear Timmy's dad from Fairly Odd Parents every time the damn character speaks.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I'd say right now I know more fans on the brink of leaving than ever before while there was an active line and entertainment, even during the BW/BM days. As for casual consumers, I also know more of them who are paying attention to the brand via the internet and some of them are also frustrated by the FE thing.
Yeah, it is probably that whole "it ain't fun no more" thing. :)

The people paying attention on the internet are straddling the line between "fan" and "casual". But, even if we all leave the hobby, there will still be kids. And, as long as Hasbro consistently has something on the shelves, that will work well enough for them. Of course, if they have another dry spell (like early '07), then they will run the risk of fading away. (During dry spells, they need fans to keep things going.)
I think between the backlash on the FE thing and the frustrations of the mainline, TF is in a more precarious place than it has been in a while, since maybe the post-BM but pre-RID days.
'04 was also pretty bad. It was the year of licensor apocalypse, *and* fans were unhappy with the property as it was. But, I do see your point. TF could realistically fade back to being just another line on the shelves, rather than a dominant brand.

The fact that this does not bother me as much as it once might have is a sign of how much Hasbro has done to push me out.

Even if I were not giving up toys this year, the franchise would be relying on the comics to keep me in.

Damn dude, how much soda did you people have?!? If you had type-2 diabetes I'd be totally making a joke about this being the cause.
My mother has always been a "stock up when on sale" type. I started with the fridge, then moved on to the pantry. Keep in mind, that was ~2 months worth of sode, assuming that nothing got replaced on weekly grocery runs. I drank it all in about 2 hours. (It was diet soda, just so you know.)
Not seeing your point, army-builders are often short-packed because they're bad guys or some other moronic excuse these days, so it just means no army building.
No, I get it. The toys are harder to find because selling them is to much work. So, kids today can save their money! Win:win. I guess.....
The Legion figures have thin-wall construction especially on their ball-joints and feel fragile and shitty, they're annoyingly fiddly with too little reward in either direction, and they always have frustrating compromises throughout that hamper their looks. When you bought a Spychanger 2pack, you knew what you were getting and they didn't disappoint.
While I have not bought any in some time, one thing that I noticed is that "Legends"/"Legion" figures there were not based on characters with larger toys or pre-established character models tended to be a little better than scaled-down characters. Then, of course, there were exceptions like TFU GoldBumbleBug, which used slight tweaks of the G1 toy's engineering. But, you get the idea.
Mainly to give some level of context to the figures I'm buying.
Odd that you say that, considering that you usually seem to be "toys first, if not only" with TF. Between the lower points of the UT and the Bayformers movies, I learned to separate toys from character and context. (I am not much a fan of the "Cybertron" cartoon, but I still fiddle with some of the toys.) And, the Fan Club makes it even more necessary. Of course, given that they now just repurpose existing toys in to fanfic grade characters, it is a bit easier to ignore their shit.)

Dom
-fiddled with some 25A Joe troop builders last night.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:The people paying attention on the internet are straddling the line between "fan" and "casual".
I would say less so than ever before is that true.
But, even if we all leave the hobby, there will still be kids. And, as long as Hasbro consistently has something on the shelves, that will work well enough for them. Of course, if they have another dry spell (like early '07), then they will run the risk of fading away. (During dry spells, they need fans to keep things going.)
If that were true, what happened during G2 that led to the drought leading up to BW? If that were true, why the year-long struggle to market after BM? Fans are certainly a smaller role, but they are also what keep Hasbro on track when they were going off the rails, and they keep the line alive in the lean times when Hasbro's completely ostracized their casual consumer market. Fans also keep Hasbro's relationship between the brand and its retailers healthier by showing year-round interest as opposed to casual consumers who buy largely only at select times of the year.
'04 was also pretty bad. It was the year of licensor apocalypse, *and* fans were unhappy with the property as it was. But, I do see your point. TF could realistically fade back to being just another line on the shelves, rather than a dominant brand.
Or worse. Every year the toy industry bemoans how they are struggling harder and harder against the tide of electronic distractions (videogames, the internet), Hasbro just cut 55 jobs from headquarters and another 115 outside, so it seems like right now all they have is their market dominance based on brand recognition from the heritage and recent entertainment, if they lose that momentum AND the industry continues the downturn that it's currently on, what's to stop the line from imploding the way it did during G2 aside from Hasbro's desire to make money off it as licensed material?
The fact that this does not bother me as much as it once might have is a sign of how much Hasbro has done to push me out.
I guess so. I'm aiming that way with Hasbro Star Wars right now, so I understand what you mean too.
No, I get it. The toys are harder to find because selling them is to much work. So, kids today can save their money! Win:win. I guess.....
Or rather, "lose | lose". It saddens me to think of future generations not having dozens, hundreds even of unique characters from a brand - having a ton of Star Wars or GI Joe guys to guide imaginative play. Having an army of Stormtroopers or Vehicons is cool, but having an army of heroes and unique villains is even better. Of course, not being able to GET an army of Vehicons is a bitch.
While I have not bought any in some time, one thing that I noticed is that "Legends"/"Legion" figures there were not based on characters with larger toys or pre-established character models tended to be a little better than scaled-down characters. Then, of course, there were exceptions like TFU GoldBumbleBug, which used slight tweaks of the G1 toy's engineering. But, you get the idea.
Now that you mention it, Crankcase's construction - arms, back panel, that sort of thing - is slightly thinner-walled than Flak's. Still, I'd rather have something closer to the Energon Omnicons or at least Cyb Commanders be the budget representative of the line than something of Legion's lacking quality.
Mainly to give some level of context to the figures I'm buying.
Odd that you say that, considering that you usually seem to be "toys first, if not only" with TF. Between the lower points of the UT and the Bayformers movies, I learned to separate toys from character and context. (I am not much a fan of the "Cybertron" cartoon, but I still fiddle with some of the toys.) And, the Fan Club makes it even more necessary. Of course, given that they now just repurpose existing toys in to fanfic grade characters, it is a bit easier to ignore their shit.)
I've never actively eschewed entertainment as context, I just didn't go out of my way to absorb it usually. Plus, I was trying to give it a chance when folks were telling me it's better, and now it's just that there's so little of the brand out there, and not much to do on Saturdays. :p