TF:Prime Figure Review Thread

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: TF:Prime Figure Review Thread

Post by Onslaught Six »

See, I dunno where you guys get this stuff sometimes. What expectations do you guys have? I got Soundwave and had absolutely zero problems with his deco. Are my standards just lower?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:See, I dunno where you guys get this stuff sometimes. What expectations do you guys have? I got Soundwave and had absolutely zero problems with his deco. Are my standards just lower?
I'm with you, and I touched on this over in the TFPrime line-launch thread. Some people just get way more wound up about paint apps than we do, I guess. Ratchet could use a few more bits of red, I guess, but overall I'm happy with him, while JT thinks he's a completely blank white canvas of hatred-fueling suckfail.

Scourge, didn't know you were waiting on a review of Ratchet. I'll get on that tonight.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:See, I dunno where you guys get this stuff sometimes. What expectations do you guys have? I got Soundwave and had absolutely zero problems with his deco. Are my standards just lower?
Maybe that's what it is. I don't know. Maybe you need glasses, maybe you are colorblind. Maybe you don't mind working 2 hours to earn the money to pay for a figure that isn't all it could be.

Have you looked at the figure with Laserbeak not docked? I think it shows up much more clearly that way (and Laserbeak's whole face is missing thanks to the deco issues).
BWprowl wrote:I'm with you, and I touched on this over in the TFPrime line-launch thread. Some people just get way more wound up about paint apps than we do, I guess. Ratchet could use a few more bits of red, I guess, but overall I'm happy with him, while JT thinks he's a completely blank white canvas of hatred-fueling suckfail.

Scourge, didn't know you were waiting on a review of Ratchet. I'll get on that tonight.
I didn't take Ratchet to the level of hatred-fueling suckfail, but that figure is missing half his deco and is nearly all bald white despite costing more while being less product than previous comparable figures.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote:
Maybe that's what it is. I don't know. Maybe you need glasses, maybe you are colorblind. Maybe you don't mind working 2 hours to earn the money to pay for a figure that isn't all it could be.
One hour. Nepotism has its perks. :)
Have you looked at the figure with Laserbeak not docked? I think it shows up much more clearly that way (and Laserbeak's whole face is missing thanks to the deco issues).
Maybe it's partially that I don't watch the show and have zero frame of reference for What Soundwave Should Look Like. Kind of like how I was perfectly fine with Ultra Primal's faceplate for years before I saw the show. (I was still okay with it afterwards, mind, because Ultra Primal has a fucking awesome headsculpt.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Onslaught Six wrote:
JediTricks wrote:
30 minutes, give or take, and I had to google nepotism.
Maybe it's partially that I don't watch the show and have zero frame of reference for What Soundwave Should Look Like. Kind of like how I was perfectly fine with Ultra Primal's faceplate for years before I saw the show. (I was still okay with it afterwards, mind, because Ultra Primal has a fucking awesome headsculpt.)
I haven't really seen the show either, and I like the Soundwave toy also, so maybe that's a big part of it. I don't know what he's supposed to look like, so I like how he looks.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:One hour. Nepotism has its perks. :)
Ha! Nicely done. Still tho', that's an HOUR of your life exchanged for something, shouldn't it be all it can be?
I don't think so, I saw Soundwave exactly once on the show a year prior, during the premiere episodes, so it's not like I was studying him or had a specific frame of reference.

Ultra Primal is a serious badass with that mouthplate up though, that figure is all-business and the mouthplate continues it: "this mouth is for talkin', not fightin'!"

Ursus mellifera wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:
JediTricks wrote:
30 minutes, give or take, and I had to google nepotism.
This isn't a payscale dick-measuring contest!

19.5 minutes, btw. ;)
I haven't really seen the show either, and I like the Soundwave toy also, so maybe that's a big part of it. I don't know what he's supposed to look like, so I like how he looks.
My problem isn't with accuracy, it's that the figure is plain on its own, and has sculpted areas that seem like they'd look better if they were painted - and then you see the show model and those areas ARE colored in.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

JediTricks wrote:This isn't a payscale dick-measuring contest!

19.5 minutes, btw. ;)
So given that toys seem to be super-expensive in your neck of the woods, we should safely assume that your payscale dick is a giant Godzilla cock?

Eh, it's not what you have, as such, it's where you stick it. And I tend to stick it in a state with a really low cost of living, so I'm pretty happy. Plus crazy amounts of job satisfaction.

As for Soundwave, I can see where you're coming from as far as the figure looking monochromatic. I just think the figure manages to pull off the monochromatic thing. Totally agree on Soundwave just not looking right without Laserbeak, too, but on the upside, like I said in the review, the integration of Laserbeak into Soundwave is pretty impressive. Damn thing just disappears into Soundwave's chest.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

JediTricks wrote:This isn't a payscale dick-measuring contest!

19.5 minutes, btw. ;)
Really, but... I brought my tape measure and everything.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:One hour. Nepotism has its perks. :)
Ha! Nicely done. Still tho', that's an HOUR of your life exchanged for something, shouldn't it be all it can be?
I dunno, I'm sitting on the forums 'right now' at work. So, uh. You tell me.
Ultra Primal is a serious badass with that mouthplate up though, that figure is all-business and the mouthplate continues it: "this mouth is for talkin', not fightin'!"
Definitely. Ultra Primal remains one of my favourite TF toys simply because of the copious amounts of raw fun I had with him as a kid. The best random Christmas gift ever. (For those that don't know, I received Ultra Primal as a Christmas gift in what must've been '96. He mostly got shuffled off somewhere as a Random Monkey Toy whenever I would need one until I saw BW on Fox Kids over three years later, and I realized they were the same character. And just like that, an obsession was born.)
My problem isn't with accuracy, it's that the figure is plain on its own, and has sculpted areas that seem like they'd look better if they were painted - and then you see the show model and those areas ARE colored in.
See, I get none of this. I see Soundwave and I just see a cool blue-and-black dude, who sorta looks like a Movieverse Jetstorm if I squint.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Plus, I mean... Prime Soundwave looks like he's supposed to be some kind of unmanned drone. Something like that would benefit from a uniform color scheme.