Transformers Cyberverse

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Transformers Cyberverse

Post by Sparky Prime »

The latest Transformers series has begun on Cartoon Network. In typical Cartoon Network fashion, they've already placed the series at the Saturday 630am slot with repeat showings at 330am, when kids that the series is aimed for are least likely see it, like they've done to previous Transformers series. Episodes are also only 11 minute long episodes rather than the usual 22 minutes.

The plot, the Allspark was sent off from Cybertron and the Decepticons have recently learned it is on Earth. Optimus sends Windblade to find it before the Decepticons, when she instead finds Bumblebee, who is suffering from memory loss and cannot talk (with his mouth at least). The two Autobots team up to battle Decepticons while Windblade attempts to use her Cityspeaker skills to help Bumblebee recover his memories.

Honestly, don't see the point of having Bumblebee unable to speak in yet another series. Especially when it doesn't hinder his ability to talk in this show, just how he talks. I also think the race to find the Allspark on Earth is a tired plot at this point, having had the movies and other cartoon series do that already. I do kinda like the idea of Bumblebee having lost his memories however, given how the series is using it so far to show how Bumblebee ended up where he is on Earth, and probably will eventually lead them to the Allspark as well. Animation wise, it's all CGI with somewhat of a G1 inspired style. It's a cartoony look but not overly so, I have to say I like it. I kinda think they could have done a better job with casting. Some of the actors just don't think have the right type of voice for their character. The episode length is somewhat of a problem, when two 11 minutes episodes really feels like they should be one 22 minute episode.

Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers Cyberverse

Post by Sparky Prime »

Catching up on Cyberverse now that it is into its second season.

Bit of a recap on season 1... After spending several episodes going down memory lane and dodging Decepticon Seekers, Windblade and Bumblebee eventually come across Teletraan X, a mobile drone computer backup for Teletraan 1. He kinda reminds me of the Heart of Gold computer from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And an old memory Bumblebee has helps them to find Grimlock, who talks like G1 Grimlock in beast mode, but has much more refined diction in robot mode. Together, they eventually find the Ark and wake up the crew, just in time for the main Decepticon armada to arrive at Earth in the Nemesis.

Season 2 begins with a time jump. The war between the Autobots and Decepticons has been public knowledge for some time now on Earth and Bumblebee has regained his voice and memories. Eventually the two factions discover a network of spacebridge portals that leads them to the Allspark (apparently it can make spacebridges now, as well as turns Earth vehicles into armor for Transformers). Cheetor greets Optimus and Megatron, explaining the Allspark created him to be its guardian, and has them compete in trials for the right to claim it, but it gets stolen by Starscream (that Megatron left for dead after an earlier failed betrayal) while they fight. Starscream still has the loyalty from the Seekers, that he has steal Vector Sigma from the Nemesis for him, so he can use the Allspark to create an army. He's decided Cybertronians don't deserve to survive and must become one with the Allspark, meaning the extinction of Transformers (the Seekers are surprisingly on board with this plan). He creates an army of Scraplets to carry out his goal. Eventually Starscream is defeated, and the Autobots recover the Allspark. Leaving Earth, the Autobots and Decepticons race towards the Spacebridge, only for the Decepticons to seemingly destroy it. This turns out to be a ruse, allowing the Decepticons to return to Cybertron instantly, while the Autobots take the long way home, in a few episodes that's sorta like Star Trek meets Transformers, before finally returning to Cybertron were the Decepticons have conquered the planet.

Overall, I'd have to say season 2 is an improvement over the first. The story feels like it flows better, now that they aren't interrupting episodes to focus on some memory of Bumblebee's to introduce a character or concept that doesn't really have much to do with the story of the given episode, and the story actually has a direction, even if it is based around a MacGuffin. The shorter run time still hurts the show though, as they just don't have the time to cover what they want to, and it shows with the amount of overlap there seems to be. And the time skip kinda makes the first season feel a bit pointless.

Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Season 3, now called Transformers Bumblebee: Cyberverse Adventures (which seems odd, since from the second season they put less of a focus on Bumblebee), is underway now, with Cartoon Network having aired the first 4 episodes. However, every episode has already aired in the UK. It has been confirmed by the series creators this will be the last season of the series but for now, I'm just going to cover the first 4 episodes...

Picking up from where season 2 left off, the Autobots have returned to Cybertron, but find the planet seemingly abandoned. This of course turns out to be an ambush with the Decepticons simply keeping themselves hidden. Bumblebee is distraught by the devastation, but Cheetor reminds him the Allspark can restore the planet (and is odd Bumblebee would forget about this, since it has been whole point of the series to restore Cybertron by recovering the Allspark, and Bumblebee has even seen first hand on the Autobot's trip home). As the Ark comes in to land, the Decepticons destroy it. But the Autobots had already abandoned the ship (and the Decepticons couldn't detect their shuttles leaving the Ark and landing elsewhere?). A massive battle between the two forces ensues, while Hot Rod, Bumblebee and Cheetor wait for the opportunity to return the Allspark to the Well of Allsparks. Which is exactly what the Decepticons are waiting for, having already restored Vector Sigma to its rightful place. Windblade and Wheeljack destroy Vector Sigma (using goo Wheeljack got from their trip through unspace) to prevent Megatron from making an army of "perfect Decepticons" while Bumblebee and Cheetor (Hot Rod is seemingly killed when Drift is revealed to be a double agent) battle Shockwave to restore the Allspark. Megatron being a sore looser declares if he can't have the Allspark, no one can, and orders Shockwave to destroy it. Using a spark extractor, Shockwave shoots his own spark into the Allspark, which begins to corrupt it. Cheetor grabs the spark extractor and sacrifices himself to prevent the Allspark's destruction, and thus restores Cybertron. Still refusing to give up, Megatron continue to attack, but Optimus knocks him through the threshold to Vector Sigma's chamber, where he is attacked by Scraplets. Optimus announces the was is over.

I haven't seen any other the other episodes of the season yet. I've been watching them on Hasbro's official Transformers youtube channel, but I gather there are a few more available on Cartoon Network's website. I do know that the next episode will have another skip ahead in time, like they did between season 1 and 2.

Edit: Following a skip ahead in time, Rodimus is inexplicably back, despite sacrificing himself to drag Drift into a pool of toxic energon he said would kill anyone who touched it. Albeit, he has a new black paint job instead of red. He and Clopper (a female version of Animated Lugnut) break into a virtual reality which is keeping the population of Cybertron prisoner. They all believe they're watching a parade, which keeps looping without them realizing. We later find out, Hot Rod has tried to break several Autobots free from the Matr... Loop, but so far Clobber is the only one he's managed to free, and neither are really sure how. After dodging robots that look somewhat like Sentinels from the Matrix, under the command of a Sharkticon, they get back to base with Perceptor, who points out to them they need to get everyone out of the Loop soon, because it is draining energy from their sparks as he points out with scans he took of Clobber after she'd been freed from the Loop, and now, after her spark has had time to recover. Hot Rod vows to end the Quintesson invasion...

Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

After several more episodes, Hod Rod, Clobber and Perceptor still have little luck freeing anybody else. They manage to get Dead End out, accidentally (turns out he hates parades allowing him to take notice of the efforts of those trying to free them others were ignorant to) and Whirl who transforms to avoid being crushed by a metal cube falling off one of the parade floats. After their base is discovered by the Quintesson sentinels, they end up at Maccadam's bar, whom has managed to avoid detection from the Quintessons. Investigating how this is possible, they discover the bar is actually part of a Titan, Iaconus, which is buried mostly underground, and is equipped with a cloaking device, which prevents the Quintessons from detecting them. Maccadam denies them from taking the technology or waking the slumbering Titan however, explaining that as a War Titan, Iaconus would likely cause destruction to Cybertron as well, with his constant need for battle. Hot Rod sets about trying to wake Iaconus anyway, but has no luck. They try to free Windblade so she can speak to the Titan, but their time is cut short when some sentinels spot them. In their escape, they accidentally disconnect Soundwave, but not having freed him from the Loop properly, he malfunctions, causing him to randomly shut down. Hot Rod is captured and taken before a Judge Quintesson, which explains they are traveling the multiverse to judge if the universes they visit are worthy to exist, but it is not the judge for this universe... Hot Rod then manages to escape.

Learning about a Quintesson known as "The Scientist", the team goes to get answers from him, as Cybertronian citizens finally begin to succumb to their sparks being drained. Soundwave and Hot Rod find the Scientist in a chamber beneath where the population is being kept, he is thrilled to see Soundwave, having a collection of Soundwave's from every universe they've destroyed. Recognizing Soundwave's malfunction, he easily repairs the Decepticon and then Soundwave kills the Scientist so they can gain access to the Loop. Turns out the Scientist has plenty of spare bodies though, as a new one keeps descending upon them for every one they kill. Captured by the Scientist, Soundwave sends Laserbeak with the data on the Loop to Perceptor, who manages to free everyone by simulating an Airhammer (interesting Beast Wars reference) attack at the parade. Noticing a pod, Hod Rod inquires as to what it is... The Scientist explains for a universe to be properly judged, it must be done with a being born of that universe, and so the reason they've been draining the Transformers sparks is to make a new Quintesson Judge, born of this universe. Damaging the pod, the Cybertronians make their escape, but once outside the Quintesson ship. Finally having freed the entire population, they don't have much time to celebrate, the Quintessons raise a force field around their ship...

I have to say the third season is a huge improvement over the first two so far. It's a slow burn in terms of developing the story, but it helps highlight the difficulty of the situation, as well as sets the stage of things yet to come I'm sure. It's interesting to see these characters, a mix of Autobots and Decepticons, working together to save their people, and ultimately their universe. Sort of reminds me of Beast Machines in some aspects. I'm liking this take on the Quintessons as well, self proclaimed judges of the multiverse, using the energy of the Transformers sparks to make a new judge. Little disappointed that there is no explanation how Hot Rod or Megatron are still alive, despite their apparent deaths prior to the time jump. Suppose they still may yet, but I don't really expect it, given they did show Hod Rod simply climbing out of the pond of poison energon in a flashback. Drift/Deadlock apparently didn't survive the bath, unlike Hot Rod. It's also nice that they explained they had tried to simply unplug somebody after Soundwave was accidentally unplugged, which they'd tried with Hound, but it left him in a condition he apparently never recovered from, leading them to breaking bots out from within the Loop instead.

Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I have my DVR set to record it and it recorded the last two episodes but not like, 15 or 20 before that I left off where they were still trying to get everyone out. I've been enjoying this series as well, probably because of the Beast Machines like feel to it and the IDW-esque showing of Autobots and Decepticons working together post war. Also, Sparky it sounds like I might be further along in the story, what I saw did show explanations for how both Hot Rod and Megatron survived as it's relevant to the later story. I can summarize or not depending on how you feel about spoilers.

Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:12 am
Also, Sparky it sounds like I might be further along in the story, what I saw did show explanations for how both Hot Rod and Megatron survived as it's relevant to the later story. I can summarize or not depending on how you feel about spoilers.
I've been watching the episodes when Hasbro releases them on Youtube, so yeah, they're pretty far behind. They only just released "Judge" today, which is about halfway through season 3. I've skimmed some spoilers from the Wiki, but for the most part, I'm avoiding them.