crazy customizing and creativity questions and discussion

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: crazy customizing questions and discussion

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote:Thanks a bunch! I'll have to look up how to hammer the pins out without dedtroying the plastic around it.
I place the part on an expendible block of wood (you can even drill holes for the pin to fall into if you want) and then use a nail of about the same size as a guide and then just give it hell with the hammer. Should usually work pretty good, but I have having trouble with some of the longer pins in the torso of the classics seeker mold.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

JT's suggestion about adding orange to the arms, legs and head of that Dion figure worked pretty well. I honestly do not know how I missed it.

In all seriousness, I have been losing my mojo lately. My painting and my writing have both suffered for it.

Dom
-in a funk.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote:In all seriousness, I have been losing my mojo lately.
Don't be sad, I found him!

http://i.newsarama.com/images/mojo_03.jpg

And he looks awfully glad to see you.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

And Dom's finished version is this:
(I adjusted the lightness a bit as the cell pic I received was pretty dark.)

Ugh, I forgot how freaky Mojo is, even for an '80s X-men villain.

Anyway Dom, at least you can say of your Dion:
(I saw that on a sign yesterday, no shit!)
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Cloaked Kreon Mirage:
-helmet from Spinister
-head from Spinister
-clear body piece from any of the "Energon" wave Autobots.
-crotch from Spinister
-legs from Quickslinger
-gun from Quickslinger or Cliffjumper

Mirage is a favourite character of mine, so this was a pretty obvious custom.

Here is my question: When customizing with Kreo, is it cheating to use paint to add colour to, or change the colour of, a piece? Before I remember that I had Spinister, I considered using some black paint on a bling bag Blast-Off to make his helmet and crotch the colour I would need. But, I was unsure if painting a Kre-O brick was allowable.

Thoughts?

Dom
-not sure what the conventional rules for customizing with bricks are.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

The fact that you think there are 'rules' to customizing amuses me. Dude, it's called 'customizing', do whatever you want to the toy to get the results you want. I sincerely doubt the Kre-O Police are going to knock down your door and take you in for painting some of their blocks.

Seriously, you get *way* too paranoid about stuff like this sometimes.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It is a question of form and quality. I do not want my custom figures to be "too custom".

One of the reasons that I do not sculpt is that my hands (and the tools I have available) do not let me do it well. I really dislike when somebody posts "I did a custom _________", and the figure sounds like it might be something really good (and likely something that I cannot do well) and it ends up looking like something that somebody did at their fucking kitchen table. Seriously, it is like they wasted action figure parts, the paint, their time and my time. (Granted, that is where I do a fair amount of my custom figures. But, I like to think that most of them do not look that bad.)

I was just unsure if painting Kre-O bits was "took custom".
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

With your painting skills I wouldn't worry about it.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:It is a question of form and quality. I do not want my custom figures to be "too custom".

One of the reasons that I do not sculpt is that my hands (and the tools I have available) do not let me do it well. I really dislike when somebody posts "I did a custom _________", and the figure sounds like it might be something really good (and likely something that I cannot do well) and it ends up looking like something that somebody did at their fucking kitchen table. Seriously, it is like they wasted action figure parts, the paint, their time and my time. (Granted, that is where I do a fair amount of my custom figures. But, I like to think that most of them do not look that bad.)

I was just unsure if painting Kre-O bits was "took custom".
I do this too. I have dabbled in customizing in recent years, but it's only been with GI Joe and it's rarely very extensive. I lack the skills to do most paintjobs justice.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

In the LEGO minifig customizing, the paints that are thicker and look lumpy, those are considered too fannish to be good customs. A thinner paint is popular, or even a printed image pasted onto the figure which is WAAAAAY easier.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?