October Hauls

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

October Hauls

Post by JediTricks »

A TRU across town had 2 figures I had been looking for, I was thrilled as I was running a big errand and my little free time netted me 2 big gets.

TF:A Rodimus - I'd give this a "B-" while trying to ignore the price-increase to $15. The alt mode feels a bit odd but isn't terrible, the transformation is unusual if a little bothersome at spots, the bot mode is decent but has issues.

TF:A Rodimus - yes, a second one. After the debacle I had with Arcee's defective stuff and tracking down a replacement, I decided to buy a replacement ahead of time here since I had the opportunity, and return it or sell it at cost to someone who wants it if the first works out. It did, so I will.

TF:G Darkmount - Lord Straxus is well-represented in the Generations line. While not perfect, and not everybody will get behind the battle station mode (even though I like it), there's a lot working for this figure in bot and vehicle mode, and very little distracting from either. I'd grade Straxus/Darkmount an "A", though the figure is a complex chap and only patience will make him really rewarding to fully enjoy.

From the September Hauls thread...

Onslaught Six wrote:
JediTricks wrote:Hailstorm - um, what is this mess? Small, awkward alt mode with hollow cockpit, marble-shooter missiles that don't fire for crap, an odd transformation that shrinks the figure, really short and odd bot mode that's just awkward. Not a go.
Aww. Well, I'll wait for more reviews. I still want him.
I've lightened on Hailstorm's alt mode, it's got charm. But I really can't get around the bot mode, it's just not right. I look forward to your thoughts though.
If only I could find that locally; I've looked everywhere. Damn.
It's shipping in wave 2 cases as well, so keep looking, and you'll find it fairly soon. If I see another, I'll grab it for ya.

Dominic wrote:I am seriously tempted by some of those Episode III characters in retro packaging.

Dom
-has not bought SW in well over a year.
Which ones would you want? Most of this wave is re-releases or slight changes, so I'm not used to holdouts who are tempted, but that's the whole point of this Vintage Collection line. Some of the figures in the line have silver foil chase packaging. Also, some of the Commander Cody figures have the belt still inverted, with the boxes upright and the orange on the figure's left, so watch for that. And if for some unfathomable reason you want that Clone Trooper figure with its missing paint, watch for helmet color, some are showing up greenish.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: October Hauls

Post by 138 Scourge »

Whoops, it is October, isnt' it?

So I bought some stuff.

First hit up OfficeMax, well, I didn't want to, but my girlfriend needed to go there, and they had a bunch of clearanced stuff. So I bought a bunch of pencils, pens, a pencil box to keep track of that crap, and a clipboard. It's bright pink with a skull and crossbones on it. Hell, all that was stupid cheap, and I need more art supplies. I've been slacking SO HARD on my drawing lately.

Then I accidentally wandered past a Gameco store that's going out of business. Combine that with the fact that I play on an outdated-ass system, you get cheap, cheap games. I got "The Thing" because I love the movie and it was two-fifty. "Tony Hawk's Underground 2" because I remember friends of mine loved these games and it was five bucks, and "Onimusha" because I couldn't find a ninja game, so I thought a samurai would do. And it was two-fifty.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

JT, your QC warning just talked me out of it.

That said, I *really* like the look of the figures and the packaging. SW is the only line that has consistently tempted me with packaging.

Dom
-knows how insane that sounds.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:JT, your QC warning just talked me out of it.

That said, I *really* like the look of the figures and the packaging. SW is the only line that has consistently tempted me with packaging.

Dom
-knows how insane that sounds.
The QC warning on the belt has been SOP for clone trooper figures since '05, the belt design is really easy to invert. The discolored helmets thing stands out right away and seems to be an isolated issue to those clones, not systemic. These are rarities in the line.

Which figures are tempting you, prequel boy?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Commander Cody, Sidious and Anakin all tempt me.

That said, I am probably skipping them.

I did, however, get the "Resolute" Cobra pack. Even at Newbury mark-up, it was not much over "retail for 7 figures. And, I like everything in that pack.

Dom
-thought long and hard about that set.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Damn, it is October. That's twice this year I've posted hauls in the wrong thread. Technically my HA Barricade should go here.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I was at TRU buying some Halo minis when I happened upon a lone TFA Rodimus. So I, uh, bought it. He's neat. Arms kinda suck, but the transformation is pretty nifty, and there's the bittersweet feeling of polishing off the American-available portion of my Animated collection. I've got just about everything that isn't a repaint (and I've even got some repaints), so now I need to start looking into buying Blackout, Wingblade Prime, and Hydrodrive Bumblebee through whatever sources I can. Blackout's the big one, since he's the last new-character toy I need.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Today's comics: Drift #3 and Brightest Day #11. I like that Drift's reason for helping the third faction is essentially a selfish one. I'll try to beat Dom to the full review this week. :mrgreen:
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

-Drift #3

-Mick Foley's "Countdown to Lockdown"
-Mick Foley's autograph!

Dom
-bang bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Went to Target last night and nabbed:

Breacher. Based on JT's glowing review and I have to agree, he's quite nifty. Oil Pan. Also pretty nifty although his alt mode looks like a cutesified version of Sunstreaker. Insecticon. Yep, it's Insecticon. Also got foil carded ESB Luke.