We've got Hall of Fame voting going on up there

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

We've got Hall of Fame voting going on up there

Post by JediTricks »

It's a global announcement thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=585

Please make sure you participate so our group at TFViews can have our voice heard! 8-)
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

TF Hall of Fame 2nd discussion

Post by JediTricks »

We can't vote against Bumblebee, Hasbro already chose him. :? I do understand the sentiment though, and I think it's only the movie shoving the character down our throats that has made him popular lately. Look at the period between G1 and Classics v1 and there's no demand for Bumblebee, there's no interest in that specific character, he's cute but the cartoon long over he had become just another character basically. There were lots of better choices for young sidekicks during that period, which brings me to your SECOND VOTE...

WTF are you thinking voting for Armada Hot Shot? That figure sucks donkeys, the character was a doofus, and is so bad that its Classics 2.0 remake is actually WORSE than the original hunk of crap! Yes, I'm reopening that old wound, but c'mon, you're really choosing him for #2? Ouuuuuch.

Quick question on Barricade, you seem to be mentioning M1 Barricade, should I specify that in your vote? Or should I let Hasbro decide whether you mean the Micromaster or the movie character?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Re: We've got Hall of Fame voting going on up there

Post by andersonh1 »

Nice to be included. I assume you make sure that Hasbro knows we're out there. :mrgreen:
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: TF Hall of Fame voting now open!

Post by Dominic »

I was not going to be the one who turned this into a discussion thread. Way to go JT.

I can see BB being on the list. The character was iconic in G1, is now a main character and is likely to remain one. 2, if not 3, generations of fand recognize the character. Every time G1 has been a presence, ('84-90, '94, '02-'04, '05-current), BB has been a presence, and often a major one. But, I am sick to death of BB. I reserve the right to vote against the character, regardless of how unrealistic it is to assume that vote will be heard or heeded.

Armada Hot Shot?
Yes, the toy sucks. But, as I said, I am trying to vote beyond self-indulgence and personal preference. I really like Demolishor, both in terms of character and toy. But, I am not voting for him any more than I would vote for Sunstreaker on the basis of "All Hail Megatron" and an excellent toy from a few years ago. Metroplex is a favorite of mine, despite the toy committing just about every sin I rail against. I like the Star Saber Minicons. But, they are not iconic beyond the series they were released in.

Hotshot has only had one good toy, (aside from a few good PVC figures here and there), during "Cybertron". But, the character was prominent during the Unicron Trilogy and was worthy of inclusion in the 25A line. (You are right in saying the 25A figure is worse than the original "Armada" figure though.) People who got into the hobby 10 less than 10 years ago will have the same associations with Hotshot as GeeWunners have with BB.

There is more to TF than what came out before '91. A character hall of fame should focus on more than the first few years of a franchise.

And, since we are jabbing at each other's choices:

Soundwave: A character so anachronistic and out dated...... Really? You call out BB and Hotshot for having limited appeal and then you choose a character notable for epitomizing GeeWun.
Mirage: I can see this one. But, he was not the most iconic Autobots.
Wheeljack: Ditto. Unless somebody wants to count every appearance of Wheeljack, (in the US, UK and Japan), I am still going with Prowl.
Devastator: And, you call out Hotshot for having a bad toy?

Dom
-really tried to come up with worthy characters from the beast era.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I can definitely see the logic behind Primal and Galvatron. (But, I really think Cheetor will carry the beast era if any character will.) BW did save TF, but I have to wonder if the character recognition is generation specific or not. All but the most hard-core "munkey uber alles" types looked back to G1, even during the beast years. But, aside from a few easter=eggs and some filler toys, what kind of call-backs to the beast era did the UT have? And, "trukk uber munkey" has only become more common in recent years.

Galvatron definitely has cross-generation and cross-border appeal. I would argue that incsonsistent characterization across those lines hobbles him though.

Kup should not, by any stretch, make the list though. A recent revision, no matter how interesting, should not qualify a character as iconic. There have been a few toys, including re-issues of the original, and the character has only played a meaningful role in a small amount of context between comics and cartoon.

Dom
-fought the urge to nominate Ravage as a joke...and won.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Just swung by TFwiki's Hall of Fame auditions page to see what their suggestions looked like. Dinobot, Waspinator, and Animated Wreck-Gar are getting a *lot* of votes, though Shockwave and Soundwave aren't doing too bad either. I'm also amused at the various people who are voting for Drift, presumably out of spite.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Now I wish I voted for Drift. :P
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Re: Dinobot and Waspinator. No. Dammit no. Just...NO! Trust the TF Wiki crew to do the most self-indulgent thing possible at any given moment. Really, Animated Wreck-gar?

Soundwave is pure GeeWunner appeal though. Nobody who came in post beast really cares. Unless the kid is the offspring of a doctor or lawyer, they have not even seen the thing Soundwave turns into.

I considered Jetfire and Shockwave. But, there are at least 3, possibly 5, characters named Jetfire. Shockwave I was of two minds on, so I went with other choices.

Dom
-is actually betting on Soundwave. :(
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: We've got Hall of Fame voting going on up there

Post by Shockwave »

Awesome! Anderson, did you mean that Hasbro knows we're "out there"? :)
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Soundwave is pure GeeWunner appeal though. Nobody who came in post beast really cares. Unless the kid is the offspring of a doctor or lawyer, they have not even seen the thing Soundwave turns into.
I came in post-Beast and I care. Mostly because I grew up in the 90s, when cassettes were still sold, but also it's just a really solid cool concept.
I considered Jetfire and Shockwave. But, there are at least 3, possibly 5, characters named Jetfire.
That's kind of my point in doing him. Lots of characters have been named Jetfire, but they were all important or recognizable.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.