TV shows are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: TV shows are awesome

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:Yeah, they went for drama rather than plausibility. Eddie shooting himself instead of Thawne was the big one. But it's hardly the first time, so I'm not going to hold it against them at this point.

Though I will say it looked as if Barry had every intention of saving his mom, right up until the point that his older self looked at him and essentially warned him not to do it. That's when he changed his mind.
Yeah, that didn't have any justification either.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:Yeah, they went for drama rather than plausibility. Eddie shooting himself instead of Thawne was the big one. But it's hardly the first time, so I'm not going to hold it against them at this point.

Though I will say it looked as if Barry had every intention of saving his mom, right up until the point that his older self looked at him and essentially warned him not to do it. That's when he changed his mind.
Yeah, that didn't have any justification either.
If I'm ever time traveling, I'm not letting my older self tell me what to do. :P
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Anderson's gonna get cursed by having to go back and warn his younger self about something, but his younger self's gonna be all "I'm not letting you tell me what to do, old man!" For my part, if I time travel and my older self tells me something, I'm going to do it. If I get any guff from my younger self, though, I'm going to beat my ass because that younger guy was dumb as hell.

There's a lot of stuff that should have disappeared when Eobard did, sure. I'm willing to chalk it up to time travel being crazy and the paradox the Thawnes created being unresolvable. After all, if Eddie kills himself there's no Eobard to come back and inspire Eddie to kill himself and whatnot.

But why didn't Eddie shoot Eobard? Because he was smart. Sure he was standing still, but still, how are you going to stop a Flash with something as slow as a bullet?

In conclusion: I really liked this episode and this show in general.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

But why didn't Eddie shoot Eobard? Because he was smart. Sure he was standing still, but still, how are you going to stop a Flash with something as slow as a bullet?
Happens on this show all the fucking time, The Flash gets distracted or focused on something and misses another. Or worse, isn't distracted and yet doesn't react in time to stop someone from punching him or slapping him or whatever. Eobard got punched in this very episode.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:
Happens on this show all the fucking time, The Flash gets distracted or focused on something and misses another. Or worse, isn't distracted and yet doesn't react in time to stop someone from punching him or slapping him or whatever. Eobard got punched in this very episode.
The Flash getting clocked by something he should easily dodge happens in any show where he appears, animated or live action. And in the comics for that matter. Logically, he ought to think and react so quickly that nothing anyone can do would have a chance to affect him before he could avoid it.

Sometimes they get it right. There was a scene in a Messner-Loebs written Wally West issue where someone shot him in the neck, but the moment the bullet touched him his speed kicked in. He started looking around wondering why everyone was frozen, and then started to wonder why his neck hurt. He reached back and found the bullet. They had a similar scene in one episode of the show. But I guess the idea is that it's hard for anyone to threaten him if he does that sort of thing all the time, so he has to be somewhat less than competent in order to challenge him. I'm sure that's what was going on with the animated Justice League series.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I watched the first two episodes of the 1960s Batman series this evening, and it's honestly better than I remember. Yes, it's a very silly show, but it's genuinely funny in places. And I was surprised to hear the murder of the Waynes mentioned twice in the story. I had pretty much expected this version of Batman to avoid the topic entirely. After watching Frank Gorshin, I think he's more over the top than Jim Carrey, but at least I know who Carrey was basing his performance on.

And how about Jill St. John? For such a silly show, they cast some nice looking ladies. There's never been a better looking Catwoman than Julie Newmar.

I grew up watching this show in the 70s, but I probably haven't seen more than a handful of episodes since. It should definitely be interesting to watch it for what is not quite the first time, but might as well be in many respects. I remember villains, and of course I remember Batman and Robin, but I can't remember a single plot.

The most familiar image? On the back of the DVD case is a picture of Batman and Robin caught between two spike filled walls. I remember that very image in my viewmaster, way back in the day.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

How 'bout that Daredevil?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I've been watching Danger 5 on Netflix, it's absolutely brilliant, and it never stops to wink at the camera or break premise, a type of integrity that makes the comedy so much better.

That's the problem with those Netflix shows, if you don't watch them all when they drop you miss your window to talk with friends about them. I can barely remember the show, and I thought it was great, but that was weeks ago, there' no momentum to it.

If you find it, the Batman TV Series slot machine is the best thing ever for fans of the show, a very fun way to take your money, lots of show clips and well-integrated new stuff.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Still watching season 1 of Batman, and it's interesting what a mix of tones it has sometimes. It's a very whimsical show, with Batman and Robin and the villains all being utterly absurd (and none of them have any clue how silly they are), but some of the death traps are pretty vicious. Catwoman lets a tiger loose to kill Batman. The Riddler is about to drop Batman and Robin into hot wax. Penguin sends an unconscious Bruce Wayne toward an oven to be incinerated. On and on it goes. The general absurdity of the show, the formula, and the narrator's melodramatic narration keeps the viewer's mind off what would genuinely be some pretty nasty ways to die. It makes you wonder about the writers who concocted these deathtraps!

And the writers of Flash and Arrow could learn a few things from how much time the heroes spend in costume in Batman. From the moment the opening credits roll, Bruce and Dick are almost always in costume, which makes sense. We're tuning into to see superheroics, not the endless "will they or won't they" that it seems like most WB shows are built on. It sometimes seems like we're lucky if we get two minutes of costumed action in Flash or Arrow. Eh, different styles of writing for different audiences I guess.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

1966 Batman had a lot of vision, it didn't have to answer to metrics. Then again, making the movie back to back with the first season took a heavy toll, season 2 wasn't quite as robust and it caused the show to falter, leading us down the disappointing avenue that was season 3. Season 3 isn't bad per se, and it introduced Batgirl to help prop up ratings, but it's not as good either and ultimately led to the show's demise.

That said, I'll take it over Arrow or Flash any day, the soapy stuff is a total drag and the action isn't half as fun. There's a reason that the '66 Batmobile toys still sell like hotcakes while nobody is buying Arrow or Flash merch today.