Video Games are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Video Games are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

I've seen a few sites here and there that mention changes, but not really any dedicated lists for it.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Changes that I have found.

Zelda II: the Adventure of Link
-enemies have been added or removed in certain areas. (The one that jumps out at me is is one of the boomerrang throwing guys is missing from the Stone Henge-esque ruins in the north desert.) I suspect that some of the enemies are stronger or more aggressive. But, that might be my playing having deteriorated over the years.

Mega Man 2:
-dragon droid's attack pattern changes more quickly, making the fight more difficult. The game will "round up" if the player gets 2+ large recharges in a row, making that it is possible to fully charge Mega Man or weapons (28 points) with 24 points worth of power.

Mega Man X:
-the hunter subs on the Octopus level are either slightly larger or set further to the right of the screen, making it impossible to get behind them during the fight. I also recall the weapons not being filled between fortress stages in the original game, but they weapons recharge automatically in the SNES Classic release. But, I might be wrong about this.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Capcom announced a few days ago that they will be releasing another Mega Man Legacy collection, which will include Mega Man Zero 1-4 along with Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent. It will be released January 21st, 2020 for all platforms at a retail price of $29.99. Very nice to see these games getting a release as a collection as well following the Classic and X series. Kinda hope if this sells well Capcom might make a new game to resolve the cliffhanger from the secret ending of ZX Advent.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

From what I have heard, the end of the "Zero" games were meant to be an ending, not a cliff-hanger. (Zero and X are dead, and that is the end.)

I want to play the "Zero" series. As much of a cop-out as the copy-X is, I respect the fact that Capcom was willing to kill X (even if it was a post-hoc change to avoid having X go bad).

I have been playing on a SNES Classic. Are there any good strategy guides for "Super Metroid"? StrategyWiki is....less than helpful.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:From what I have heard, the end of the "Zero" games were meant to be an ending, not a cliff-hanger. (Zero and X are dead, and that is the end.)

I want to play the "Zero" series. As much of a cop-out as the copy-X is, I respect the fact that Capcom was willing to kill X (even if it was a post-hoc change to avoid having X go bad).
The Zero games did leave off on an ending,
Spoiler
with Zero sacrificing himself to defeat Dr. Weil/Ragnarok
. The ZX games on the other hand, as I'd said, leaves off on a cliffhanger in ZX Advent. The ZX games takes place 200 years after the Zero series, where "Bio-metals" have been created that embody the data of X, Zero, the Guardians of Arcadia, as well as a few other characters. These bio-metals are capable of merging with humans or reploids to transform them into "Mega Men". ZX Advent ends with a secret ending where
Spoiler
Thomas, one of the supporting NPC's in the game is revealed to actually share the views of the villain, Albert. But he wasn't happy with Albert's methods, so he arranged it so the Mega Men eliminated him, then he could move forward with his own plans to "reset" the world
I have been playing on a SNES Classic. Are there any good strategy guides for "Super Metroid"? StrategyWiki is....less than helpful.
GameFAQ's.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Thanks. "Super Metroid" was made for people who bought strategy guides. (Part of me would like it better if it were set up like "A Link to the Past".)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I've been playing Hollow Knight. I'm playing it blind for the most part, other than I was inspired to pick it up after seeing someone playing it on Youtube. It is very much a "Metroidvania" styled game, with some elements of Dark Souls (I've never played or seen any of the Dark Souls games myself, so I' can't speak to that). I think I'm maybe about halfway through. It has been a lot of fun so far.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

For whatever reason, I cannot find a well-written guide for "Super Metroid".

I have yet to find a listing of items/upgrades that describes where and how to acquire said upgrades. (One of the wikis I tried wastes ridiculous amounts of time on the lore, treating the game itself as an afterthought.) The maps that I have found are garbage (consisting largely of low-resolution screen caps that are not labelled in an comprehensible way).

This is particularly bothersome given how easy it was to find a usable guide for "A Link to the Past" (on StrategyWiki). As much as I appreciated the sub-listings (for items and other upgrades), the maps had most of the information. And, while I may have parsed the over-all map differently, each section of the map included a clear listing of things to look for and text descriptions that actually made sense.

Unrelated: I sort of want a (good) comic series based on Marvel CapCom.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

To be fair, some of the items in Super Metroid require some specific technique with Samus' abilities, and/or specific positioning which can be a bit difficult to describe how to pull off. Maybe you'd be better off looking up a video walkthrough instead if you're having a hard time with the written guides. I also don't think it's really fair to compare it to Link to the Past, when that has very different game play mechanics and is much more straightforward in terms of item collection.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Both "Super Metroid" and "A Link to the Past" involve playing across a large map that is opened by using various items (which often require other items to find and acquire). Both games require players to double-back to/through certain areas.

The StrategyWiki articles about "A Link to the Past" describe each area, noting what can be found in that area, and what it takes to get that item (and if it needs to be picked up on the first or second trip). It includes clear descriptions of relevant rooms.

The "Super Metroid" articles that I have read thus far do not do this. At best, the "Super Metroid" vaguely describe the locations of items, but offer no instruction for how to get/reach them.