Video Games are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: Video Games are awesome

Post by Gomess »

Oh, cool. Is there a preliminary cast list up yet? That's the most interesting thing to me, about this new game. One of the main reasons I didn't like the Armada game was that your choice of characters consisted of: Fast Car, Average Car and Slow Car. -_-

Tatakae wasn't muuuch better, due to the choppy controls, awful voice acting and... floating gun Megs? =/

Then there was the BW fighting game, and Convoy no Nazou.....

Transformers games have always left me disappointed! I think I'm just too picky.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The problem is that TF games tend to be middling to lousy entries for whatever genre is most popular at the moment. And, even if they are terrible, the name will sell copies of the game.

I will not be getting a 360 unless the reviews on this game are amazing though.

Dom
-wants a "GI Joe" themed strategy game.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like most of the TF games that have come out. The BW Fighting game was actually pretty good and the movie games looked like they'd actually put some time into designing them. My only beef with the Armada game was not having a Decepticon campaign option but whatdya gonna do?

I have a 360 and will probably get War For Cybertron when it comes out.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

The movie game I played was alright, you could bring down a helicopter with a giant mascot donut. But that was half the problem; it was too tempting to just mess around, it seemed lacking in focus. It was like GTA: Transformers, for me. Sidequest-a-rama. I know I'm probably way off-base here, but that's how it felt. Cold and grey and aimless!

Maybe it's just the aesthetics, or choice of series? I haven't genuinely *enjoyed* any new TF media since BM, really. And the chances of a game based on pre-Armada stuff is highly unlikely, no? ^^;
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Put aside prejudices and look into some of the DW era. There were some genuinely good comics there. And, IDW has some good comics to its credit as well, including some movie related stuff.

"Animated" has its moments as well.

Dom
-what? What about BotCon?
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Oh, I have! They're not prejudices, believe me.

IDW have some good writers and artists on board, but, like the game, their aim isn't clear enough to hold my attention. They may as well have gone for a single ongoing TF book than a whole bunch of minis, set on different planets at different times, with a hundred different plot threads (am I wrong here? I don't get The Story at all). Also: Spotlights bore me by virtue of their nature. =/ But again, I have read them.

Animated was over just as it started to interest me. What gives? I was almost getting used to the art style. Almost. Teen Titans go, indeed.

I'm not even really a toyhack, because I was like 16 (and consciously avoiding anything 'nerdy') when I discovered BM. I think it's just an unfortunate coincidence that I haven't really enjoyed any post-millennium stuff. Heck, I was even older when I discovered BW2 (after Neo, oddly), and I still rewatch that now.

Go "Would rather play Convoy no Nazou than watch any Ar-En-Cy episode ever" Mess

...Ok, I am prejudiced against movie-related stuff, 'cos those is some uuuuugly robots.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

IDW seems like it was trying to duplicate what Dark Horse did with "Star Wars" in the 90s. The "X-Wing" series eventually had two number systems. This kept issues numbers low, (making the series seem more approachable).

Furman was, (at best), dragging his feet. I tend to think he had no direction.

"All Hail Megatron" is excellent. No cosmic McGuffins. Plenty of ideas. "Reign of Starscream" made me glad the movie happened.

What "Spotlights" did you read? Some of them are really good.

Dom
-misses the "Armada" comics.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:Oh, cool. Is there a preliminary cast list up yet? That's the most interesting thing to me, about this new game. One of the main reasons I didn't like the Armada game was that your choice of characters consisted of: Fast Car, Average Car and Slow Car. -_-
Nothing definitive yet. Prime, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Ironhide, Warpath, Jetfire, Megs, Screamer, Soundwave. Omega Supreme is a boss, doubt he's playable. Trypticon is his equivalent. Brawl and Breakdown are in it but dunno if they're playable. Same with the other two Seekers. Also, the three characters change with different missions, so it's less like PS2 Armada with just Prime, Hot Shot and Red Alert the 'entire game.' Also, I've heard nothing of upgradable stats or anything like that, but I won't be disappointed if they aren't in.
Shockwave wrote:I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like most of the TF games that have come out. The BW Fighting game was actually pretty good and the movie games looked like they'd actually put some time into designing them. My only beef with the Armada game was not having a Decepticon campaign option but whatdya gonna do?
I pirated the first movie game for the PC, and it was decent for what it was. It got repetitive toward the end, but really, what does one expect from a movie game? This, on the other hand, is something entirely different, and I actually have a fair bit of faith.
Dominic wrote:The problem is that TF games tend to be middling to lousy entries for whatever genre is most popular at the moment. And, even if they are terrible, the name will sell copies of the game.
We'll let you know. Truthfully, I'm not *just* buying a 360 for WfC, it's been on my buy list for...Rodimus, literally years now. So many games passed up. RE5! Mass Effect! Mass Effect 2! Portal that doesn't run like crap because my computer sucks! Plus all the DLC games.

EDIT: Wrote this post and then you guys changed subjects to comics. Go on!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Yeah, alright, the Kup one was boss. All of Roche's have been, as everyone seems to agree.

Um... was there a Sixshot one? With the Terrorcons? That stuck out as particularly unimpressive, if memory serves. Naturally I haven't read the more recent ones, as I was put off. And like I said, the idea of devoting a single issue to one character outside of the main storyline doesn't appeal to me. The cartoons frequently have single episodes dedicated to a particular character, so why not just to do the same with the odd issue of an ongoing?

Mostly I'm just a bit tired of seeing the same old characters, names and tropes. I thought the Minicon concept was gonna revolutionise the franchise with the idea of a permanent third faction... I was disappointed. And after Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory (the Holy Trinity =p), we just go back to Optimus Prime vs. Megatron? Yawwwn. No one would've minded if you'd saved OP for the second movie, Mr. Bay! Would've made it more dramatic, if anything. And have been better received than The Fallen. And dog sex.

re: New game, Ratchet better have the ability to repair himself and others in the field. Hell, the characters should have unique skills, period... *mumblegrumble* =3
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:Yeah, alright, the Kup one was boss. All of Roche's have been, as everyone seems to agree.
And then he got badass in All Hail Megatron. And then Roche started writing Last Stand of the Wreckers.

It has Pyro and Overlord in it. And Skyquake, briefly. Because he dies. Awesomely. It's the best comic ever.
Um... was there a Sixshot one? With the Terrorcons? That stuck out as particularly unimpressive, if memory serves. Naturally I haven't read the more recent ones, as I was put off. And like I said, the idea of devoting a single issue to one character outside of the main storyline doesn't appeal to me. The cartoons frequently have single episodes dedicated to a particular character, so why not just to do the same with the odd issue of an ongoing?
That was sort of the idea of the spotlights, to tie into the larger story. Drift's, for example, explained how the hell he ended up with the Autobots in the first place.
No one would've minded if you'd saved OP for the second movie, Mr. Bay! Would've made it more dramatic, if anything. And have been better received than The Fallen. And dog sex.
I kind of would've minded. I don't think there'd *be* a second movie without Optimus Prime.

(Incidentally! Any time someone abbreviates it OP...I just read Op. As in Optimus. Yeah.)
re: New game, Ratchet better have the ability to repair himself and others in the field. Hell, the characters should have unique skills, period... *mumblegrumble* =3
That's what they're gearing for. They've already pointed out that cars and jets operate differently, and specific emphasis was put on Warpath being there because they wanted an Autobot who was a tank--which indicates there's a need for a tank.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.