Video Games are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Video Games are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Any game with a save option had a battery.
I know, but like I said, I just never thought of it with the NES.
Shockwave wrote:How do you all feel about cheating in video games?
Kinda depends... If it's a code system or some such thing that is built into the game itself, might try it out. Normally I don't use codes to help me with games though. A cheating device, I've never used and don't plan to. I'm always afraid it'll corrupt my game or something. Even if that's only a small possibility, I don't want to risk it.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Sparky Prime wrote:Kinda depends... If it's a code system or some such thing that is built into the game itself, might try it out. Normally I don't use codes to help me with games though. A cheating device, I've never used and don't plan to. I'm always afraid it'll corrupt my game or something. Even if that's only a small possibility, I don't want to risk it.
Those kind of problems are usually solved by emulation--you can hack an emulated game all you want and it won't matter, because it's digital anyway and you can just download it again if anything happens. The ethics of emulation are somewhat dubious, and this is a great jumping on point for a discussion on that, but.

Also, as someone who has done a lot of hardcore ROMhacking and also used a GameShark extensively, there is 'zero' possibility that these things can actually damage the game--all of the game data is read-only and can't be permanently edited. The worst that can happen is that your save game gets messed up, and that's only if you're actively screwing with saved game code.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Sorry Sparky, I mistyped. I meant to add "...but you really would not expect that from a system like the NES, given how old it is" at the end.

As far as cheat codes go, I was not above using them as a kid. But, I would make a distinction between playing with them or without them. In other words, using Game Genie was different than using a built-in hack which was different from using nothing.

I see nothing wrong with emulators. Most of the time, they are based on games that nobody is actually selling. Nobody is making money of the games, and there is really no practical way to get a copy of the games if nobody is selling them.

Dom
-used to buy bootleg movies with the same justification.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm probably the biggest cheater there is when it comes to video games. If there's a way to cheat, I use it. I've used cheat devices like the game shark and they've never screwed up any of my systems of games. I almost get annoyed when there aren't at least the two main cheats in game: Invincibility and unlimited ammo. Unlimited ammo might not be appropriate to evey game, but at the very least, invincibility. I just hate it when you start a game at the very beginning and get killed over an over again by the first enemy. At that point, I quit playing. What's the point of continuing to play a game if you inherently lack the basic weapons/abilities to make it past the first obstacle? For that matter, why would programmers even bother with programming the rest of the game? A good example would be God of War on God mode. No, that doesn't mean invincible, it means the difficulty is as cracked out as it gets and you're using regular plain ol' Kratos. I refuse to play the game on that level. I invariably get killed before I even make it to the first save point and shutter to think how fast I'd die if I were to make to a boss fight. It just becomes an exercise in frustration at that point and that's not why I play video games.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:I'm probably the biggest cheater there is when it comes to video games. If there's a way to cheat, I use it. I've used cheat devices like the game shark and they've never screwed up any of my systems of games. I almost get annoyed when there aren't at least the two main cheats in game: Invincibility and unlimited ammo. Unlimited ammo might not be appropriate to evey game, but at the very least, invincibility. I just hate it when you start a game at the very beginning and get killed over an over again by the first enemy. At that point, I quit playing. What's the point of continuing to play a game if you inherently lack the basic weapons/abilities to make it past the first obstacle? For that matter, why would programmers even bother with programming the rest of the game? A good example would be God of War on God mode. No, that doesn't mean invincible, it means the difficulty is as cracked out as it gets and you're using regular plain ol' Kratos. I refuse to play the game on that level. I invariably get killed before I even make it to the first save point and shutter to think how fast I'd die if I were to make to a boss fight. It just becomes an exercise in frustration at that point and that's not why I play video games.
I'm working on an assumption, though, that God Mode is unlocked only after you beat the game normally? In which case, you're not the target audience for the mode--this is an advanced difficulty level for people who 'want' that kind of challenge.

At the beginning of summer, I decided I was going to Do Something with it. I was going to beat Contra, without cheating. Eventually, about halfway through my attempts, I changed it to beating Contra without cheating and without using a continue--because I eventually found that what I was mostly trying to do was beat half the game without dying, so as to get enough extra lives to make it to the end. Plus, I wanted to keep the Spreader and stack Rapid powerups throughout the game for maximum kickassery. And I did it--albeit in September or so, after summer was over, but I did it nonetheless. (And then I did it again a week or two later--and proceeded to actually beat the game 'twice' on one continue.)

If you've ever played Contra, you know it's ungodly hard. Not impossible, but hard. And playing it can be an exercise in frustration, if you let it get to you--but as I was trying to beat the game, I was going through it 'constantly.' Playing as far as I could get five or six times a day. And I'd do better each time. And that was 'why' I kept playing. I didn't get frustrated, because I knew ahead of time I'd do awful.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Y'know, I can't remember if god mode is available from the start or not. I think it gets unlocked after you beat it, but since as you pointed out, I'm not the target audience, I didn't really pay attention.

I love the Contra games. I wouldn't describe them as ungodly hard, but they are definately challenging. But I get your point, although Contra isn't really the type of game I was talking about. It can be beaten, it's just a matter of remembering where the enemies are and how to avoid them and their shots. That game tests your memory as much as it does your reflexes. God mode God of War was probably a bad example, but the concept is illustrated well. I have actually played games where you get killed almost as soon as you turn it on. This is generally why I have stayed away from the 3rd person shooter genre for the last 10 years or so. I like the games, but would like them more if I didn't get killed right off the bat. Doom (without cheating) was one of the worst for this. That's why I almost point blank refuse to go through any of the Doom games without cheating (although I did manage it on xbox360, thought that's only because there aren't any cheats for that version). Diablo 1 I get through without cheating although that's mostly because there really aren't any cheats for that game and Diablo II I have an editor that let's me hack the hell out of my character. It's to the point where that's almost become a game unto itself. Then there's the Sims. The unlimited money code. Like to find one for real life.

I've never tried emulators as I still have most of the games in their original formats on their original systems (going all the way back to the Atari 2600).
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

So I've been playing through the MegaMan X Collection lately, like I first said in the AHM thread. Just got up to X6, having beat X5 the other day. X6 is ridiculously hard compared to all of the others. They have this "Nightmare System" that's supposed to show up when the bosses on the stage select are red, but it's actually a random occurrence that can show up regardless of what color the bosses are. I've gotten this "black out" effect in a couple levels so I can't really see anything except the middle of the screen that really makes it unbearable to play that level. And these Nightmare Virus enemies are a huge pain since they tend to pack them in these small areas, and they can shoot and move through walls where you can't even reach them. As much as I hated having to avoid the Sigma Virus in X5, at least it was easy to do, but these things you have to kill and collect their souls if you want to equip more power-ups. Not to mention they can turn Hunters (some of which give you said power-ups) into Mavericks.

I have at least managed to get the Blade Armor, unlock Zero and defeat 2 of the bosses so far.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:Doom (without cheating) was one of the worst for this. That's why I almost point blank refuse to go through any of the Doom games without cheating (although I did manage it on xbox360, thought that's only because there aren't any cheats for that version).
I couldn't believe that there aren't any cheats on the 360 version, but I looked it up and you're right.

I *have* played Doom a good many times without cheating, but it's usually only the first episode, because I suck at the other two/three. And Doom II is just a bitch--the level design makes no sense and all it does is throw bosses at you constantly. But, in the same breath, I know that that's not quite targeting me unless I want to go and fight through that suicidal madness.

The big thing is that you should know what you're expecting when you go into a game. It's a rewarding experience when you *can* go through a game legit, especially if the game is the kind of constantly-upgradeable Metroidvania game, like Shadowman is. There's nothing more awesome than being able to breeze through the world with all your awesome weapons and abilities. And sure, if you start a new game, you don't have any of that--but that's almost part of the fun.

Speaking of, Shadowman really was a great game challenge-wise. It was difficult in parts, but never so difficult that it was impossible (and the largest enemy is *always* the controls and camera), plus, on the offchance that you do die, you always start nearby in the level with all your health back, and anybody who you killed stays dead (unless you completely leave the area). It's a game that wants you to beat it, but only if you 'want' to see the end.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ok, so what you're saying is I should play Shadowman. What system, I'll check it out? I also like the "survival horror" genre. The Resident Evil games are fun, but don't have enemies that typically take you down just by looking at you. Silent Hill (the original) is one of my favorites, but I was retarded and bought the strategy guide, but never actually bought the game. I also like Strategy games (like Command and Conquer, Warcraft II and Starcraft).
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Oh, if you like survival horror, Shadowman's atmosphere is right up your alley. One of the weapons is a voodoo skull rattle that shoots fire! And the main villain is Legion, the demon from the Bible. Literally the same one. Also, Jack the Ripper!

Shadowman was released on several different systems of its time, in various levels of quality. The PSX version is the worst and has the most removed, while the N64 version is decent but still inferior. The best versions are the DreamCast and PC versions, but I can't currently get the PC version to run in Windows XP, just 98. Truthfully, the game is "complete" on the N64 but it's missing a lot of alternate pathways and a *lot* of extra awesome details.

There's a demo for the PC version floating around, you may want to give it a shot--though I'll note it's not in the beginning of the game, but rather the first visit to Asylum, a giant fortress in the middle part.

It was also based on Acclaim's reboot of the Valiant comic Shadowman, which is where I got into Valiant to begin with. (Speaking of, Dom, you ought to dig up those in some bins somewhere. They're ridiculously cheap and decently written, sometimes.)