Video Games are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Video Games are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:The last "Mega Man" game I played was......6. 11 seems to have taken everything that I disliked about 5 and 6....and dialed that up. (I firmly believe that the best platformers are simple. Complexity should be reserved for RPG and strategy games.) The strategy guide makes clear that players are essentially obligated to do extra tasks in order to gather enough resources to play the game.
From the playthroughs I've see on youtube, they've said you can play it with out any of the extras. It just makes the game easier, which I'd think the strategy guide is going to lead players more towards doing.
A friend of mine downloaded the legacy collection. I think that consists of 1-6, and several of the "X" games. Many of the exploits from the first and third games do not work.
The Mega Man Legacy Collection is split into two parts, 1-6 and 7-10 and the X collection is split between 1-4, 5-8. Not sure what exploits you're referring to, but to my understanding, they still work.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

From the playthroughs I've see on youtube, they've said you can play it with out any of the extras. It just makes the game easier, which I'd think the strategy guide is going to lead players more towards doing.
It looks like the change in difficulty makes the difference between the game being playable and the game being exceptionally difficult (beyond the difficulty settings on the main menu). There are multiple examples of the strategy guide telling players to "go back to _____ level and ________ in order to be able to play through this level".

This was annoying enough in X3, where there is no clean way to go through the first 8 levels. And, X3 is relatively simple compared "Mega Man 11".

The Mega Man Legacy Collection is split into two parts, 1-6 and 7-10 and the X collection is split between 1-4, 5-8. Not sure what exploits you're referring to, but to my understanding, they still work.
The first game had an exploit where the player could pause the game (using "select" on an old Nintendo controller) while fighting most of the bosses. Pausing the game as the shot was hitting or passing through the boss, then waiting a few seconds, would allow the shot to damage the boss multiple times, every time the game was paused and resumed. (In theory, a player could kill the Rock Monster with one pellet shot. But, a stronger weapon would still be better.) According to my friend, the pause trick did not work in the legacy collection. (But, he did manage to beat the game, including that awful boss rush at the end.)

"Mega Man 3" had several exploits involving the second controller. Holding the right buttons (or combination of buttons) on the second controller would effect how high a player could jump or the speed of enemies. These exploits would carry side effects. But, they were still pretty useful.

I could never beat "Mega Man" without using the pause trick at least a few times. (Elec Man, the Rock Monster and the final boss rush were consistently challenging for me.) With "Mega Man 3", I generally did not use the exploits, but was not above doing so occasionally.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:It looks like the change in difficulty makes the difference between the game being playable and the game being exceptionally difficult (beyond the difficulty settings on the main menu). There are multiple examples of the strategy guide telling players to "go back to _____ level and ________ in order to be able to play through this level".

This was annoying enough in X3, where there is no clean way to go through the first 8 levels. And, X3 is relatively simple compared "Mega Man 11".
None of the playthroughs I've watched required them to replay a level... I don't even know what this guide would be referring to. There's no need to revisit a stage once you've beaten it. It's not like X3 where it forces you to replay levels once you get certain weapons/abilities in order to get all the items. There is no items to collect in 11 like that.
The first game had an exploit where the player could pause the game (using "select" on an old Nintendo controller) while fighting most of the bosses. Pausing the game as the shot was hitting or passing through the boss, then waiting a few seconds, would allow the shot to damage the boss multiple times, every time the game was paused and resumed. (In theory, a player could kill the Rock Monster with one pellet shot. But, a stronger weapon would still be better.) According to my friend, the pause trick did not work in the legacy collection. (But, he did manage to beat the game, including that awful boss rush at the end.)

"Mega Man 3" had several exploits involving the second controller. Holding the right buttons (or combination of buttons) on the second controller would effect how high a player could jump or the speed of enemies. These exploits would carry side effects. But, they were still pretty useful.

I could never beat "Mega Man" without using the pause trick at least a few times. (Elec Man, the Rock Monster and the final boss rush were consistently challenging for me.) With "Mega Man 3", I generally did not use the exploits, but was not above doing so occasionally.
Those exploits still work for the Legacy collection. The pause trick just works from one of the shoulder buttons that pauses the game, rather than the pause menu button.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

There's no need to revisit a stage once you've beaten it. It's not like X3 where it forces you to replay levels once you get certain weapons/abilities in order to get all the items. There is no items to collect in 11 like that.
The items that need to be collected are mostly screws (an in-game currency). The strategy guide basically says "we are not saying you have to replay Block Man's stage...but it is a good idea to go back frequently to load up..., and you might be really sorry for not doing so..."
I don't even know what this guide would be referring to.
Mega Man 11 strategy guide (Celebrating 30 Years of the Blue Bomber) published by Udon

Those exploits....
Don't tell HoneyBear. I want to tell him. Oh....muh.... He spent so much time....and......ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:The items that need to be collected are mostly screws (an in-game currency). The strategy guide basically says "we are not saying you have to replay Block Man's stage...but it is a good idea to go back frequently to load up..., and you might be really sorry for not doing so..."
That's not really something you have to replay stages to get though, there isn't a finite amount of screws like there was in 8. If you want to go out of your way for screws to buy items from the shop, you can just find a spot in a stage to farm them from enemies. And you can buy an item in the shop (on Saturday's only) to make getting screws a bit easier. That's really all the items in the shop do, make the game a bit easier. They aren't required to beat the game. Heck, there is even one item that will only unlock after you've beaten the game (because it's kind of an overpowered upgrade).
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The strategy guide strongly advises players to play through certain stages in order to be able to acquire items that are all but required to finish the game.

The screen shots in the guide are gorgeous. And, I like the face that Mega Man's outline changes depending on what weapon the player uses. But, modern games are not designed for a casual gaming fogey like me.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Mega Man has never been the easiest of game series. It makes sense the guide would direct players to make the game a bit easier for them. I'm just saying, it's not actually required to beat the game.

And I'd have to agree, it's a nice touch they actually change Mega Man's outline in this one, rather than just his colors.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The original is probably the hardest of the first 6 (thought the 5th and 6th games have some annoying elements).

I also grabbed "the Official Complete Works", art books for the the original and the "X" series.

The "Mega Man X" artbook is...lacking. Part of the problem is likely that there is less original art for the "X" series. But, the editors also decided to cram most of the art that they did have available on to whatever pages it would fit on. The result is a less organized, and more jumbled, book.

And, while there are sketches for some main characters, there are no sketches for other main characters. (This partly undermines my theory that there is less original art for the "X" series. But, whatever exists, there is almost certainly more than is included in this volume.) This is especially bothersome because I bought this partly for reference when customizing. (Google and YouTube are not bad substitutes. But, I would prefer to be able to paint without looking at a screen.)

The being said, "Mega Man: the Official Complete Works" is amazing. There is so much art, and so much notation, and so many sketches, and stuff that was not official released in the US and.... Just buy "Mega Man: the Official Complete Works". It does not have everything (such as the Doc Robot/Sigma sketch I found in the strategy guide for "Mega Man 11"), but it is an amazing volume just the same.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Do any of the gamers here know of a website that has a list of changes made to games included on the NES and SuperNES Classic systems? I have found a few subtle changes, and suspect that there are others.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm sure there are some but I do not know of them. I imagine there are differences between those and the versions released on the Switch as well.