Video Games are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Video Games are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:I think that you need to talk to the ostrich thing to get one of the speed upgrades. (I can sort of wall-jump now. But, I want that damned speed upgrade.)
The speed booster is in Norfair. The ostrich thing, as I've said, doesn't get you anything. All it'll do is demonstrate the shinespark - which is built into the speed booster.
And, damn, if the guides are not badly written.
There are plenty of good guides out there.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I found a readable enough guide for a no-boss run. I am going to try to use that as a guide.

One thing that I appreciate about "Super Metroid" is the lack of sprite-flipping. Samus' gun is consistently depicted as being on her right arm, regardless of which direction that she is facing. I think that Samus may be the first asymmetrical side-scroll character to be consistently drawn. (A case could be made for Mega Man. Be we know that the hand/gun morph is a stupid back-write.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:I found a readable enough guide for a no-boss run. I am going to try to use that as a guide.

One thing that I appreciate about "Super Metroid" is the lack of sprite-flipping. Samus' gun is consistently depicted as being on her right arm, regardless of which direction that she is facing. I think that Samus may be the first asymmetrical side-scroll character to be consistently drawn. (A case could be made for Mega Man. Be we know that the hand/gun morph is a stupid back-write.)
Is it? I feel like a story involving a robot that can switch weapons on a moment's notice wouldn't have to explain that it can be on either arm as well.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That is a fair point.

But, Mega Man was originally drawn holding an external handgun. The design team did not have consistent control art until the third game. As reasonable as the lore may seem, the hand/gun swap is a back-write. And, in real terms, sprite-flipping was a problem in old games. "Super Metroid" deserves full credit for avoiding that problem.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

You mean the cover art for the first one that was done by an artist with no concept of what the game was about? I also feel like we can reasonably dismiss that, especially since the cover art for every game since was consistent. And he was never shown with a hand held weapon again (to the best of my knowledge, I haven't played every Mega Man game). Sprite flipping was a limitation of the 8 bit technology of the time. Or if there were games that didn't do it, I'd be hard pressed to think of one.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, the American box art for Mega Man and Mega Man 2 shouldn't be taken as how the character was meant to be represented. And it should be pointed out the art for the original Japanese version of the games have always been consistent.

I believe there are times where Mega Man has had boss weapons that use both his arms, so it makes sense either arm could be used for the Mega Buster as well. Edit: And come to find out, Mega Man is actually shown using both arms for the Mega Buster in an interactive movie game called "Super Adventure Rockman".
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The fact that the box art (the first visual that people would have for the character) for "Mega Man" 1 and 2 was so off-model proves my point, that the design team did not have control art to work from. (The UK box art was similarly off-model.) It was not until "Mega Man 3" that Capcom used a consistent character model.

(This makes the design used in the "Captain N" cartoon more forgivable.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:The fact that the box art (the first visual that people would have for the character) for "Mega Man" 1 and 2 was so off-model proves my point, that the design team did not have control art to work from. (The UK box art was similarly off-model.) It was not until "Mega Man 3" that Capcom used a consistent character model.

I thought the point you were making was that the hand gun was a "back-write", when what we're saying is that art can reasonably be dismissed for not being accurate to the character in the first place. For Mega Man 1, the Capcom US president apparently wanted something literally by the next day, and had a friend of his in the marketing department rush to draw something in just 6 hours, with out ever seeing anything to do with the game. For Mega Man 2 the art department was at least shown a beta of the game, however, the art director at the time mis-interpreted the game sprite as holding a pistol, not realizing the arm itself was a cannon. In short, the box art of the first two games was rushed.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Dominic wrote:The fact that the box art (the first visual that people would have for the character) for "Mega Man" 1 and 2 was so off-model proves my point, that the design team did not have control art to work from. (The UK box art was similarly off-model.) It was not until "Mega Man 3" that Capcom used a consistent character model.

I thought the point you were making was that the hand gun was a "back-write", when what we're saying is that art can reasonably be dismissed for not being accurate to the character in the first place. For Mega Man 1, the Capcom US president apparently wanted something literally by the next day, and had a friend of his in the marketing department rush to draw something in just 6 hours, with out ever seeing anything to do with the game. For Mega Man 2 the art department was at least shown a beta of the game, however, the art director at the time mis-interpreted the game sprite as holding a pistol, not realizing the arm itself was a cannon. In short, the box art of the first two games was rushed.
Exactly. This would be like saying that the G1 Bluestreak toy being silver and red is a back-write because the box art shows him in blue and silver.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It is a back-write because Capcom did not care at the beginning.