Questions for Hasbro, round 3

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Questions for Hasbro, round 3

Post by Dominic »

To vote, simply write the numbers of the 3 questions you like best. The 3 with the most votes win.

Question 1:
Official Hasbro images for retailers and on packaging that have been photoshopped to enhance shadows, surfaces, edges and other details. Often, the production deco of the toy can't really live up to that. While there is a proviso on the packaging about such things, it's still a little unusual. Why does so often doctor their official photography instead of simply giving each toy a subtle paint wash to actually bring out those details, making product shots more consistent with the final toys?

Question 2:
Given the number of repaints and repaint-friendly designs in the TF line, are there steps being taken to preserve original molding? For example, the US "Classics" F15 (Starscream and co) mold has been repainted thrice at retail in the US, and several more times for conventions and foreign releases. Is Hasbro keeping a master mold for figures such as this, to allow for additonal recolors later? We have heard this sort of model is used for certain "troop-builder" type toys in "Star Wars", such as Clone Troops.

Question 3:
The use of "Autobot" or "Decepticon" in front of otherwise unobtainable character names is a great solution that allows a character to retain its original name in some form. For example, since "Jazz" cannot be trademarked on its own, "Autobot Jazz" is a good compromise. That being said, why is that approach used for some characters but not others? For example, why "Insecticon" rather than "Decepticon Shrapnel.

Question 4:
What roles do mythology and symbolism play in character design? How often is a character's personality incoporated into the toy's design? During "Armada", there were many examples of this. Could you describe the steps of this process, and what the design team tends to draw inspiration from?

Question 5:
How are the case assortments decided? What is the basis for deciding which figures will be short-packed in one wave, and refreshed in a later wave? Are any figures ever planned to be shortpacked during the design phase?

Question 6:
Are there any plans to release popular or rare molds from previous lines as part of the 25th Anniversary? Along similar lines, what are the prospects for releasing toys case from popular international molds, (not coomonly available in the US), or cancelled molds from previous lines, as part of the 25th Anniversary?

Dom
-misses conventionally shaped boxes.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Questions for Hasbro, round 3

Post by JediTricks »

I have a new question:

As fans of Hasbro's lines, we've seen this for years: official Hasbro images for retailers and on packaging that have been photoshopped to enhance shadows, surfaces and edges, giving the overall look of the toy increased realism. Often, the production deco of the toy can't really live up to that, and while there is a proviso on the packaging about such things, it's still a little unusual. Why does Hasbro employ this tactic so often with their official photography, and why not simply give each toy a subtle paint wash to actually bring those lines out and give them the realistic look the packaging shows could be possible?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

JediTricks wrote:I have a new question:

As fans of Hasbro's lines, we've seen this for years: official Hasbro images for retailers and on packaging that have been photoshopped to enhance shadows, surfaces and edges, giving the overall look of the toy increased realism. Often, the production deco of the toy can't really live up to that, and while there is a proviso on the packaging about such things, it's still a little unusual. Why does Hasbro employ this tactic so often with their official photography, and why not simply give each toy a subtle paint wash to actually bring those lines out and give them the realistic look the packaging shows could be possible?
I expect the answer will be "No paint wash because it's expensive," and "They're photoshopped to look their best so people will buy them." Heh.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

On the other hand, people buy toys for the toys, not the picture. it might be worth while to work that idea into the question.

Dom
-all washed up.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Precisely so, and that's why I don't place *too* much importance on boxart and packaging. Granted, kickass boxart can really help a toy along--I'm sure I've bought toys entirely because of their boxart before.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

A couple of questions:

- The use of "Autobot" or "Decepticon" in front of otherwise unobtainable character names is a great solution that allows a character to retain its original name in some form. For example, since "Jazz" cannot be trademarked on its own, "Autobot Jazz" is a good compromise. That being said, why is that approach not used for certain characters? For example, why "Silverstreak" rather than "Autobot Bluestreak", or "Insecticon" rather than "Decepticon Shrapnel"?

A tech spec question:

- Why was "firepower" replaced with "fireblast" a few years back?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I would imagine "fire-power" was replaced with "fire-blast" to accomodate declining intelligence/literacy levels.

I do like the question on naming though.

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Firepower was replaced with Fireblast because of, I believe, concerns about parental crap. It's kid-safe and friendly! It may also have had to do with international concerns--remember, the first time it showed up was RID, which had trilingual packaging. IIRC, it disappeared again after we started getting US-centric cards. I believe Classics had Firepower again, dunno about Cybertron--did Cybertron even have proper techs, or just bios?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:Firepower was replaced with Fireblast because of, I believe, concerns about parental crap. It's kid-safe and friendly! It may also have had to do with international concerns--remember, the first time it showed up was RID, which had trilingual packaging.
I figured it was something along those lines, but I'd still be interested in an official answer.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Well, if nothing else cool comes up before February, I'll support it. It's not like anyone else is gonna ask it.