question about Target

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

question about Target

Post by Dominic »

The other day, I tested a theory that I have held for some time. When I take toys to the price-scanners that are in the aisles, they usually list as "not in system", making it impossible to know if more are in the back.

However, I recently tested the same scanner with a non-toy item. The toys came up as "not in system". But, the non-toy toilet seat was listed.

Is Target doing this on purpose to discourage collectors from trying to find product that is in the back?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: question about Target

Post by Shockwave »

Having worked at Target a few years ago, my initial thought is no. Target as a corporation doesn't care who buys all their stuff as long as it sells. And keeping it in the back isn't doing them any favors either because 1, it isn't selling back there and 2, they need the room for other stuff. If it's not coming up on the scanners but it does ring up at register I would let someone know because that's probably a problem with either the scanners or their inventory.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That is good to hear. And, the desk-staff are usually good about looking in the back for stuff. (That is the only reason that I found the Wave 2 limbs.)

I was just thinking that maybe Target was trying to reduce a labor intensive effort (looking in the back) for relatively low-price items (action figures) by making it harder for people to ask about said items. From what I have seen, Target (as a chain) has been inconsistent on this over the years. The local Target is usually pretty good about checking (if not actually getting stuff). But, another (less local) Target that a friend used to check was actively hostile to collectors. (He was actually told as much by a manager, albeit a number of years ago.)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Our Target wasn't even aware that was a thing and our toy aisle was (and continues to be) largely picked over anyway. As long as everyone was doing their jobs and helping customers, that was the focus. I've never really run into any retail environment that was hostile towards collectors. The closest was maybe Walmart that actively let collectors come in with box cutters to open inventory as it arrived and buy it all on the spot. That was what was happening with MP Starscream and the reason why I have (mostly) successfully boycotted shopping at Walmart ever since.

Funny story: While working the register one time, a supervisor says to me "We want to distinguish ourselves from Walmart". My reply: "There are a million people of Walmart videos on youtube. There are no people of Target videos. I think we're distinguished enough". She didn't have a reply for that. :lol:
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It sounds to me like Target needs to build people-parity with Wal*Mart.

I cannot complain too much about collectors shopping "off the truck", as I did that at the local Toys R Us. They saw it as helping a regular customer (and former employee).
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:It sounds to me like Target needs to build people-parity with Wal*Mart.

I cannot complain too much about collectors shopping "off the truck", as I did that at the local Toys R Us. They saw it as helping a regular customer (and former employee).
But, I'm willing to bet you didn't buy the entire inventory for the express purpose of price gouging people online. This lady was doing that, Walmart knew that and they allowed it. I have no problem with legitimate first come, first served, but first come, screw everyone else is not a practice I am going to support.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I bought for myself and friends. (I once wiped out a Target's supply of 25A Joes. Took what I wanted, and sold the rest at the old Collector's Anonymous. The only mark-up I added was my "round up the price to make the math easier" tax.)

The old local Toys R Us was great. When I worked there, I once bought a few "Star Wars" figures out of the back while one break. I left the box in the back, and went back to my shift. Mid-shift, the manager handed me the box and told me that the next time I pulled toys out of the back (she assumed I would be doing so regularly) I needed to price and shelve the rest.