SUMMER hauls 2018

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Spring hauls 2017

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:And Golden Age Superman Omnibus vol. 4 arrived, so I have that to look forward to reading. I don't think the series is quite as good as it was when it began, but it's still capable of producing some good stories. I think with this volume pretty much everything that had already been restored and collected in the Archives has been reprinted in Omnibus format, so I'm expecting prices to go up for volume 5, since it will require new restoration work. Still, if they keep this series going, I'll likely keep buying as long as I enjoy the quality of the stories.
I look forward to reading this too, vicariously through your reviews. I've enjoyed reading about the previous ones, it's especially interesting to find out how these characters were portrayed in their early days and how they've evolved over time. Also, this series could theoretically go on indefinitely. Volume 31 could wind up being the New 52 and by then, DC should be on their 52nd 52 lol.
Glad you're enjoying the reviews. :) Yeah, I hope these books keep selling and they keep printing them. It is very enjoyable watching these characters evolve and acquire all the familiar elements we associate with them.
andersonh1

Re: SUMMER hauls 2017

Post by andersonh1 »

I got a GREAT haul today. Was walking through Ollies's discount store and found Titans Return Fortress Maximus for $39.99. Needless to say, he could not remain on the shelf at that price!! I'll have to post some comparison pics with RID Fortress Maximus, the only version of the original I have. I'm delighted to have found the figure for such a bargain.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Titans return Seaspray, got him last week. or maybe the week before. I can't remember. Fun little toy, checks all the boxes that I would want from Seaspray. Also, made the annual ornament run with the parents to Hallmark. Got the Death star, Darth Vader's TIE fighter, the USS Franklin, the Picard/Data ornament, and Soundwave. Also when looking through the book, my Mom and I saw that they are coming out with a MOTU Skeletor ornament in October. We wondered where He-Man was. Turned out he was released last year and I somehow missed it, so I got one off ebay. Also from ebay, a set of 3 Molotow liquid chrome pens. Supposedly work pretty good for restoring or making things chrome. And uh, yeah, so far they work GREAT!! My legends instecticons are nice and shiny. As are Legends Trailbreaker, Hoist, Hound, Nemesis Prime, Optimus Prime, and Gnaw. And Gnaw looks amazing with it on him. I'll try to post pics later.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I just realized I never posted pics. Actually, I haven't posted pics for years now. I should really get on that. Anyway, hauls! Titans return wave... whatever we're on. Twin Twist, Windblade and Misfire. I like all of them, except my copy of Twin twist the head of the titan master is loose and wouldn't peg in. So I superglued it. Now he has no neck articulation. I'm really rather annoyed by this, but I think this may be unique to my copy. The others are all awesome. I actually sold my previous Windblade in favor of this one since she's sturdier.

Also, Masters of the Universe Super 7 Classics Ultimate editions: Got Skeletor, Ram Man, Teela, and Faker. These things are awesome! The come in packaging that looks just like the original and even comes with all the extra accessories that the classics line came out with over the years. Skeletor comes with the sword, half sword, mini comic sword, havoc staff, original toy head, minicomic head and Keldor head, and cape. It's pretty awesome to be able to get Keldor and Skeletor in the same toy. Ram Man comes with an axe and an extra head, my only complaint there is that he's not in his original toy colors. Teela comes with like, 4 different heads, 2 staves, a sword, shield and armor. Faker comes with an original toy head, the regular Classics head and the "Terminator" head that's half damaged with the robot face underneath. He also comes with the same three swords that Skeletor came with (in orange) along with the battle axe and shield. I didn't opt to get He-Man because I still have my Classics one and am pretty happy with that. Overall, I like what Super 7 did with these and I hope they do more. It would be great to have a chance to pick up better versions of characters that I missed out on originally or had to sell, and get better looking packaging to boot.
andersonh1

Re: FALL hauls 2017

Post by andersonh1 »

I picked up the DVD of the animated "Batman vs. Two-Face", Adam West's final performance as Batman. I love how Harvey Dent looks like 60s William Shatner, since that's who plays him.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

In the last week:

- Hascon Arcee w/ Ultra Magnus headmaster - cute set, now we have Arcee as a headmaster, even if she's borrowing from the Blurr mold. Daniel... I mean Leinad... her headmaster is a nice sculpt for her face, and the lack of a likeness is the dome on the power suit that Daniel ends up with. Some of the changes on the Blurr body to her are good, but the vehicle nose is a little bulky for no obvious reason. Ultra Magnus is a cute headmaster concept, the die cast middle body looks and feels great, but there's something to the likeness I'm not quite on board with, and I can't put my finger on what.

- Hascon The Black Series Captain Rex - nicely painted over very shiny armor, overall quite neat of a Star Wars figure.

- Marvel Legends Thor Ragnarok Thor - great likeness, good price, but I had no idea he was so much larger than the Avengers 1 Captain America figure, it's like a different scale. Still, he is nifty out of that context.

- DST Back to the Future Delorean Time Machine - 1:15th scale, all plastic, electronic lights and sounds. It's really neat, although at its MSRP of $60 it'd be a bit simple for the pricetag - I found it at Target for $18 on yellow-tag clearance. Mine of course has a flaw, the flux capacitor light doesn't align with the lowest flux-channel. DST, I love ya but your QC sucks.

- VR controller - I was hoping to use it for the fan-made TNG tour, but no dice. The controller feels ok I guess, and works without extra crap unlike the Gear VR controller I had to return because it didn't mention it needed said extra crap (Gear VR headset, Oculus app).

- The Last Knight Leader-class Megatron - Target pricematched this to Amazon's $42 and then I used the 25% off coupon to drop it to $32, and at $32 it's a great figure! Only TLK piece I own, and it's pretty small for a leader-class, but it has a great transformation, looks good in both modes, pretty solid, and a satisfying jet mode for once.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Arrived in the mail today, Batman Golden Age Omnibus vol. 4., which runs through June 1946. Three more volumes this size and they'll have covered 1939 and the entire 1940s.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Power of the Primes deluxe wave 1: Swoop, Slag (yes, I said SLAG, I refuse point blank to call him by that other name. A bit like Bluestreak, but I digress), Dreadwind and Jazz. Had to get the wave since BBTS was sold out of Swoop individually, I really didn't want a second Jazz. The dinobots are awesome. Swoop and Slag are very reminiscent of their G1 forms while having updated engineering. My only gripe is the lack of chrome, but thanks to the chrome markers I have that problem is fixed and they look WAY better for it. The Prime Master gimmick is meh, not really grabbing me and I was never that thrilled about the idea of a Dinobot combiner. Fortunately Swoop and Slag look great individually and the combining parts don't seem to interfere with them as individual characters. Dreadwind is pretty good. No complaints, but if you have Fireflight you basically have Dreadwind. There are a lot of remolded parts so it's not exactly the same toy, but it's pretty close.

And then we have Jazz. I don't hate this toy. If I didn't already have RTS Jazz I would probably like this toy more but I do have the RTS version and this one is not an improvement. The car mode is pretty bland on the back end and he has wrist articulation, but due to the door panels underneath them he can't use them. Jazz is also a combiner (with who I have no idea) but again, that doesn't seem to have hindered the figure in any way. I dunno, I have a hard time recommending this one, especially if you already have the RTS version.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

My latest DC omnibus arrived today: Golden Age Green Arrow volume 1. Not my favorite character, but I like him well enough, and I like 1940s DC in general, so it was worth buying. Covers November 1941 through June 1947, which gives an indication of just how much more A-list characters like Batman and Superman appeared than B-listers like Green Arrow, since those characters were probably into volume 3 or 4 before they had covered five and a half years of stories. Most of that probably has to do with having their own book, which Green Arrow did not have. I'll be curious to read the original GA origin story, before Jack Kirby revised it in the 60s.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: WINTER hauls 2018

Post by Shockwave »

Awesome! I'll look forward to reading your reviews of that, as I've been enjoying your posts about the Batman and Superman Omnibuses.

Also, How have we not posted Christmas hauls on here?
From the parents I got:
Titans Return Trypticon
Disney parks Star Wars droids from the Droid Factory series. The one with four BB8 style droids, the one with 4 Astromechs, the 2016 Holiday Droid, the 2017 Holiday droid, two that they built custom from the kiosk, Chopper from Star Wars Rebels, and a two pack of Astromech droids. 16 total. I think these guys are gonna need their own shelf.
An AT-AT popcorn holder. People were apparently walking around Disneyland with these around their necks. It's pretty well articulated and detailed considering it's a popcorn bucket.
A hobby glue gun
Three Metal Earth kits: Harry Potter Golden Snitch, Star Wars Snow Speeder and AT-ST.
A few things from the Transformers ride at Universal: A black and purple Decepticon shield (which is intended to go on the wall in my Dorknasium), a keychain and badge lanyard.
Star Wars hand towels
Money (from other relatives)
Cookies
Candy
Star Wars and Star Trek themed soaps.
It was a good Christmas.