Spring Hauls

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: February/March Hauls

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:XCOM Enemy Unknown for PS3, it was $10.35 new, shipped free from Prime. Great game.

Downwell for PC, $1.49 on steam, half price sale. Can't go wrong for the price.
Wait, Vidya games count? Ok, well here goes for the last couple months then:

PS4: God of War III. Got this one for Christmas. It's a good game, the narrative totally screws the main character, but if you just wanna fight your way through ancient Greece themed game, it's good enough. It is fun and the graphics are good, but I don't see why this needed to be on the PS3 rather than the PS2 (which was still going at the time).

Don't Starve. If Tim Burton made Minecraft, this is what it would be like. Sort of. As the title suggests, the goal is to survive for as long as possible. Or, see how long you can go before the game just fucking murders you. Which will happen. A lot. Unlike MC, where if you die, you simply respawn and keep going, if you die here, that's it, game over, start a new world. This game is brutal, but brutally fun.

The Unfinished Swan: If you want a game that doesn't center on combat at all, this is a good one to go with. Scratch that, this is a GREAT game. You start off in a place that is all white. You can't see anything until you throw black paint everywhere to reveal your surroundings. It creates an interesting world to explore and has a story that is of a quality seldom seen in video games.

This War of Mine: I've only played this a little bit but so far, it is harrowing. It's set in a city torn apart by war. But you don't play as one of the soldiers, but as a group of the people that lived in this city and have to gather supplies and try to continue to survive in what was once your home.

Mega Man collection: Collects Mega Mans 1-6. I still have 1-3 on the original NES, but I never got 4-6 and this also provides me an HD way to play these games so it's a win all around.

Level 22: Invisible, Inc. (more on that later) meets Office Space. It's a stealth game where you're late for work and have to sneak your way to your desk without being seen so you can claim you were there the whole time. It's fun and campy and the creative use of random office supplies for stealth is actually pretty creative.

Journey: I don't even know how to describe this game. You're running and then sliding and then flying... all across this beautiful landscape. Sometimes there's another character with you. There's no dialogue so what narrative is there is entirely told through visuals and the environment. I like this game, but I did end it wondering what the heck I had just played. I do still recommend it though.

That's it for the PS4. I now have a Steam account (I don't generally do much PC gaming, but there were a couple I just had to play).

Steam: Invisible, Inc. Stealth done right. I'm given to understand the play style is similar to X-Com, but I haven't played X-Com, so I can't really confirm that. What I can tell you is that you start off with a couple of characters and you have to infiltrate a building and steel stuff all while not being seen. Levels are randomized and obstacles include guards, security cameras, motion sensors, laser gates... Yeah, this game forced me to play differently since you are never going to be able to just go into a level, kill everyone and then loot the place. But, it does give you plenty of tools for getting in and out without being noticed. And the narrative of this game is surprisingly deep. Seriously, play this game. I have already spent countless hours on it.

Sunless Sea: This game is interesting. The story is that London has fallen underground and there is no longer any light around the surrounding areas. The gameplay has you controlling a ship, exploring the surround sea for information, supplies, trying to avoid sea monsters and pirates. It's fun, but there is a LOT of reading. And, much like Don't Starve, you are going to die. A lot. I'm already on my 5th sea captain and I've only been playing this for a couple weeks. This game is beautiful though. As you explore, your ship has a light on it that illuminates the sea beneath, revealing coral reefs, fallen parts of London, deep chasms, ice, volcanoes, etc...

And for the 360: Dark Souls. I saw a let's play by the Extra Credits guys and wanted to play it myself. And I love it. This, however is yet another game where you will die a lot. It is fun though and I do intend to finish it.

And GI Joe: Cobra Strike for the 2600. I have not played this game yet because I have not been able to get my 2600 working on the new tv yet. And, that's as good a segueway as any to my hauls yesterday:

An adapter for the 2600 to work on newer tvs. Also, a usb floppy disk drive. EDIT: Also, Superior Spider-man volume 1. I recall reading Prowl's reviews of this and it sounded like a good story. Since I've decided to try getting into non TF comics again, I figured this might be a good place to start on the Marvel Side.

Red Son is on order but hasn't come in yet.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

God of War HD for PS3 - the legal class settlement gave choices of a few games, I thought this would be the whole thing, turns out it's just GOW1 remastered, what a ripoff. Oh well, free is free. "HD" is generous, this isn't really up to the visual snuff I expected for a remaster game.
Shockwave wrote:Wait, Vidya games count?
Why not?
PS4: God of War III. Got this one for Christmas. It's a good game, the narrative totally screws the main character, but if you just wanna fight your way through ancient Greece themed game, it's good enough. It is fun and the graphics are good, but I don't see why this needed to be on the PS3 rather than the PS2 (which was still going at the time).
The graphics engine is a massive step up from the PS2 games, and also they wanted a killer app at the time. It's a bigger game too, even if the ending is a bit crap. Better than GOW2, not as good as GOW1.
Steam: Invisible, Inc. Stealth done right. I'm given to understand the play style is similar to X-Com, but I haven't played X-Com, so I can't really confirm that. What I can tell you is that you start off with a couple of characters and you have to infiltrate a building and steel stuff all while not being seen. Levels are randomized and obstacles include guards, security cameras, motion sensors, laser gates... Yeah, this game forced me to play differently since you are never going to be able to just go into a level, kill everyone and then loot the place. But, it does give you plenty of tools for getting in and out without being noticed. And the narrative of this game is surprisingly deep. Seriously, play this game. I have already spent countless hours on it.
i've only watched it played on Twitch, but Invisible Inc is similar to XCOM only in that it's turn-based squad action and uses line-of-sight map discovery. Glad you're digging it.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

And I got another DC Comics omnibus collecting old material: The World's Finest Silver Age Omnibus vol. 1, just in time for the release of Batman v. Superman. This book collects the first "official" team up of Batman and Superman from 1952 (even though they'd met and worked together twice in All-Star Comics during the 40s) and then collects a good chunk of early team-up stories from World's Finest Comics #71-116. 46 issues worth of stories from 1954 to 1961. DC seems to be publishing more of these omnibus volumes with old material, possibly in the hope that they'll go farther than the Archives did. Those lines seemed to move at a snail's pace with only 220 or so pages per volume. I saw someone calculating that with 900 page omnibus volumes, DC could get the first two decades of Batman and Superman in print with as few as 10 volumes each, which is not an unattainable number. We'll see how far they carry this.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

That would also be a good way to try to get or encourage new readers as well. For people concerned that there's too many years worth of stories, it's all right there and collected to pick through what a new reader would find appealing. Now if they would just do some actual marketing for these and other comics in general, the industry could see a lot of growth.

Anyway, picked up Superior Spiderman volumes 3-6. My shop didn't have 2, so that's on order.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Haunted Mansion classic attraction poster ceramic coaster
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Marvel Legends Spiderman. I'm not sure which version this is, but it looked appropriately "Spiderman" enough that I bought it. Decently articulated and painted. I do wich he had open hands for holding stuff, but not a big deal.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

With TF on the slow side, my last month has primarily been a series of buying NECA Predators off eBay. What started at Christmas with a simple "I'll get one and see where that goes" has ballooned up into nine of the ugly motherfuckers (plus an Alien and an Engineer from Prometheus), and I've got at least 5 more coming before the end of the year. I should stop, but, well.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

24 oz Star Wars Tervis Tumbler with lid - $8!

Tervis straw 6-pack (damn 24oz is too tall for regular ones)

New alternator and tensioner for my care :(

and my dang Masterpiece shipment is held up in customs.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

So February/March/April hauls? Anyway, Birthday hauls! A Funko POP Minion from one of my friends. Another friend got me a NERF gun and the parents got me an excercise bike and three new shirts: One Hawaiian, a purple polo and a Star Wars Force Awakens tshirt. Had a party on Saturday. One of my coworkers gave me a pinata filled with candy and we took turns trying to hit it with lightsabers. It turned out to be the most armored pinata ever. We did eventually get it opened after about 2 minutes of four of us ganging up on it.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:and my dang Masterpiece shipment is held up in customs.
Mine apparently is here already but held at the post orifice. Which of course is only open during the exact same hours that I work. :roll: