January Hauls

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

January Hauls

Post by andersonh1 »

Okay, I have to start the year out with a nice big haul: a new (for me) car. Finally bit the bullet and replaced the Toyota Tercel I've been driving for 15 years with a Corolla. Here's hoping I get as many miles out of the new car as I did the old one. :D
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: January Hauls

Post by JediTricks »

Dr Meter digital cooking thermometer - a simple digital meat thermometer for $8. After xmas dinner required using a thermometer, I realized I needed one for my place and this one was on sale, simple contained design.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Mass Effect Monopoly! The off-brand toys and games store in the mall was having a 50% off Everything In The Goddamn Store sale, and while I wasn't able to find anything good for toys (I did consider a Battle Core Optimus Prime to turn into a Thunderclash for under $20 but decided against it), the game was only $20 after everything and we don't own any version of Monopoly. It's no secret that both Randi and I love the Mass Effect series and we're heading to MAGFest in February (where we'll meet up with a few of our other ME loving friends) so this was almost a no brainer purchase.

Also, the M-Audio Venom came in the other day and it's a fucking beast and a fucking beaut. A nice shiny white glossy plastic, fantastic key response, and some nasty noises and wonderfully smooth pads right out of the box. I've only scratched the surface of the editor thus far (my plan is to try and replicate some patches from the Korg Poly 800 that we always use) but I can't wait to use it more.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

DoohicKey - simple multitool with just a small edge, flathead screwdriver, bottle opener, nut drivers, and rulers. Nothing fancy, but $4 and it doesn't take up more space than a key on my keyring.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Box from BBTS. Titan Class Devastator, Diaclone MP Bluestreak, and Leader Ultra Magnus. Still fiddling with most of these, thoughts to come later.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Disney Store/Parks Kylo Ren lightsaber with light-up blade, motion sensors, and vibration. A pretty nifty version for $30 (with my discount, $24) that's better than any of the Hasbro kiddie versions including the $65 Ultimate Force FX version, and has some enhancements over the real Force FX version.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

GI Joe 50th anniversary 3 pack with Duke, Cobra Commander and a Cobra Trooper. It's the set that essentially recreates the opening to the 86 movie. Duke with jetpack and 'Murican flag, CC with that hang glider thing and the bomb and... a random Cobra Trooper. It also came with the movie camera that got punched by a Crimson Guard. Nifty. For some reason, I think that accessory would go well with my George Lucas Stormtrooper figure.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

After months, months, and additional months of waiting, losing hope, losing the packages, and just plain losing, I finally got my 3-pack of Gentleman's Single-Use Unlubricated Monocles. They amuse me so.

Hot Wheels Star Wars Character Cars
- Kanan Jarrus - not quite as detailed as other cars in this series, it's almost like they're intentionally doing these cars in a cartoony fashion, but it doesn't come across that way. Uses Kanan's outfit for the layout on the muscle car.

- Wicket the Ewok - a furry wilderness buggy, a cute idea that came off fairly well considering the premise.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Star Wars Titanium Series The Ghost - my third toy of this Rebels hero ship turns out to be the winner. Hasbro did a good job, the majority of the ship is die cast metal with only the top turret and rear engines as plastic. The die's sculpt gets the panel lines to have the right gap and height differences to stand out, which the Micro Machines couldn't get as much detail from, and the Mattel version barely even tried. Paint is surprisingly good, the base color is slightly more gray than the previous mentioned, and has more details with weathering to boot. The top turret spins around loosely, the ship's sole moving feature. Great job.

SW Titanium Series TIE/sf Fighter (Special Forces) - after talking about this so much in the SW thread and seeing a review of it, I figured I'd pick it up. Hasbro went with all plastic on the wings, disappointing. The sculpt is good for the most part, the underside of each pylon has a big screw boss which fattens their look, but isn't too bad; the wings have a lot of detailing; the rear of the ship has the broader layout with the window; the top has nice detail; the interior has the back-to-back seats but little actual detailing; and while the underside couldn't have the turret due to that being the only place to put the stand mount hole, they did sculpt something to suggest it flanking the hole. The stand hole on mine is seated slightly downward. Paint is ok, there's a lot of little slop issues up close but at first impression it holds up. Once the hatch is opened, it doesn't want to close the last micrometer. Overall, a decent affair, goes well with my TFA X-wing.

Sonicare ProResults Plaque Control toothbrush head 3pack - I just got my new Sonicare last August and already they discontinued the regular head in favor of these smaller, more angular heads. My new Sonicare came with one of these new heads free, the Gum Health head, which isn't quite as good at getting my back teeth if I'm not thinking about how to work it to the gumline back there, but hopefully these Plaque Control ones work a little better (I have good gum health as is), otherwise I'm gonna have to go to a generic despite the lower-quality bristles.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Metal Earth Klingon Bird of Prey: I really like these model kits. They're fun, but they are a little frustrating at times. Sometimes the instructions aren't clear and if you make a mistake in assembly, it is a MASSIVE pain in the ass to fix it. Still fun and relaxing though.

Star Wars black series TRU exclusive Rancor pit set: Set included Jabba, slave Leia, Jedi Luke (which now gives me 3 Jedi Lukes, all different from each other), Gammorean Guard, the Rancor, and C3PO. For some reason, 3PO has some removable armor pieces. Good articulation and detail, certainly more articulation that I think 3PO needs. And the articulation on the other figures is equally detailed. I would have liked elbow articulation on the Rancor, but I'm pretty happy with the level of detail otherwise. I mean, the thing has an articulated mouth to eat the Gammorean Guard. Overall a pretty awesome set. It original sold for 130, but was on sale for $85. Not a bad deal for so many highly detailed figures.

Battery packs and charger for the 360 controller. I eat through a lot of AA batteries with the controller so I opted to get rechargeable battery packs instead.