Why do toy companies keep making "battle damaged" figures?

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Why do toy companies keep making "battle damaged" figure

Post by Shockwave »

To further back AU's point, I have the regulare TNG Riker figure. It has molded "battle damage" like tears in the fabric of his uniform. This is the standard version toy for that character. To my knowledge, no other version of him in that specific uniform in that scale exists so if you want a complete bridge crew you have to have the crappy "battle damage". I would rather have a Riker with an intact uniform as my standard bridge figure. In this case, I'd have to customize said figure in reverse, essentially having to customize a figure WITHOUT battle damage. And in this case, it's not even there to evoke a particular scene. I think this is exactly the type of fail AU is referring to.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Alternately, why does every version of Wreck-Gar that Hasbro puts out look all fresh and clean and undamaged? Shouldn't that dude just look completely beat to shit on his best day?
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

Dominic wrote:Battle damage figures typically use some old moudling. Think of them as being retools of existing figures that reference specific parts of a movie or comic or game or whatever.
My question is why use any new molding when they could release a repaint with the same mold?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:To further back AU's point, I have the regulare TNG Riker figure. It has molded "battle damage" like tears in the fabric of his uniform. This is the standard version toy for that character. To my knowledge, no other version of him in that specific uniform in that scale exists so if you want a complete bridge crew you have to have the crappy "battle damage". I would rather have a Riker with an intact uniform as my standard bridge figure. In this case, I'd have to customize said figure in reverse, essentially having to customize a figure WITHOUT battle damage. And in this case, it's not even there to evoke a particular scene. I think this is exactly the type of fail AU is referring to.
Is that why whenever I've seen images of the bridge crew of the Playmates figures it's always that version of Riker? I always wondered why everyone seemed to have the battle damage Riker... Didn't realize there wasn't another version. That does kind of suck. Battle damage versions make for a nice supplementary for battle scenes, but they shouldn't be the standard version of the character.
138 Scourge wrote:Alternately, why does every version of Wreck-Gar that Hasbro puts out look all fresh and clean and undamaged? Shouldn't that dude just look completely beat to shit on his best day?
That's a pretty cool idea. Certainly would make sense for Wreck-Gar being made out of junked parts to begin with...
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Shockwave wrote:To further back AU's point, I have the regulare TNG Riker figure. It has molded "battle damage" like tears in the fabric of his uniform. This is the standard version toy for that character. To my knowledge, no other version of him in that specific uniform in that scale exists so if you want a complete bridge crew you have to have the crappy "battle damage". I would rather have a Riker with an intact uniform as my standard bridge figure. In this case, I'd have to customize said figure in reverse, essentially having to customize a figure WITHOUT battle damage. And in this case, it's not even there to evoke a particular scene. I think this is exactly the type of fail AU is referring to.
Is that why whenever I've seen images of the bridge crew of the Playmates figures it's always that version of Riker? I always wondered why everyone seemed to have the battle damage Riker... Didn't realize there wasn't another version. That does kind of suck. Battle damage versions make for a nice supplementary for battle scenes, but they shouldn't be the standard version of the character.
Indeed. They made non damaged versions for every other uniform: Season 1, Dress uniform, First Contact, they didn't make a DS9/Generations Riker so that's out, the Lt. Thomas Riker even is without the damage. The one thing that does crack me up about that figure is the way his one hand is molded. I call "sexual harassment action" because he seriously looks like he's ready to grab Deana's boob.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ugh, Playmates' dumb Cmdr Riker figure with that idiot torn uniform and the ridiculous ape-like physique and limb pose. I utterly loathe that figure. They even repainted it as Lt. Thomas Riker and left the damage unpainted so it's twice as nonsensical. The season 2 version of the figure didn't have the big tear, since the torso had to be a different sculpt, but it had the same idiotic limbs with their dumb pose and the torn right shoulder and thigh, but no flesh paint for either. Thank goodness for the First Contact version of the figure with its all new torso and arms.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

My question is why use any new molding when they could release a repaint with the same mold?
Toys that are screen accurate/relevant tend to sell better. (C'mon, you know this.)

A recolour that is either a non-media character or a non-media iteration of a main character is not likely to sell as well as something that references the media.

And, "battle damaged" figures are a good way to make new figures of main characters and reference memorable parts of a movie/comic/game. A mussed up looking Luke Skywalker (that might share some moulding with an old figure) with a removable hand is going to sell better than a recolour of Luke as a new (irrelevant) character and/or a Luke recolour that is supposed to be Luke as he never appeared in the movies.

The new moulding on battle-damaged figures is necessary because some details to not look good if they are only painted.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

I'd buy a Super Energon Luke Skywalker, just FYI.