December Hauls!!

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: December Hauls!!

Post by Shockwave »

Even worse is games. That's all run through xbox live now. Nothing is preloaded on the computer. You wanna play spider solitare? Fuck you, you have pay money to download it to your pc from xbl. Fuck MS, fuck 'em hard.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Barnes and Noble had 50% off all British TV dvds today, so I got a couple more Doctor Who DVDs for the collection. Can't beat half price!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I bought Trailtrailer, was planning on grabbing Hoist as well, but between the start of my day and when I bought him, someone else scooped him up. He's a solid toy, a great representation of the dude, and not too complex without feeling simplistic. I do wish his gun shield thing did a little more, considering--some DOTM style flippy guns would help out. Still, I paid $10 for a Deluxe 'and' a $4 comic book. Hard to see that as a downside.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:Ye Gods! The shoulder problem basically ruins what is basically an otherwise fantastic toy. Oh, and I don't like how his turret just hangs there loosely on the back. It's...weird, and lazy.
No argument on the shoulders (apparently sticking strips of credit card onto bits to push them into position works, but I haven't tried it yet), but I think you're doing the turret wrong in robot mode, or if not 'wrong' it could be done better. I've got it with the cannon sticking up, and there's a way to fold it and its hinges in tandem with the folded-back nosecone so that it's clipped in solidly, not 'hanging loosely'. Maybe I should take pictures or something...
was planning on grabbing Hoist as well, but between the start of my day and when I bought him, someone else scooped him up.
You want mine? I'm still mad at myself for buying that thing, and even eBay didn't want 'im, so.

Anyway, it's been way too long since I detailed any hauls, so no attempt to catch up save for some highlights. I haven't bought any TFs since Hoist (wait, holy shit, really?) so it's been all high-end weeaboo toys for me:

figma Mika Jougasaki: I've never watched or played anything Idolm@ster, and I don't ever plan to, but this cocky little minx just had such a great design and delightful facial expressions that I couldn't resist. Plus, as an exclusive off of Good Smile's website, she was pretty easy to get ahold of, basically just preorder and forget (man, if only western toy exclusives were this easy to score!).

SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Abyss: Because when your parents told you that you could be anything you wanted, they actually meant you could be anything except a badass armored warrior with sharks for hands. I have no idea how Abyss netted a regular retail SHF release, he only appears as a villain in a goofy throwaway alternate version of the Ryuki universe in two episodes of Kamen Rider Decade. But man am I glad he got released, his design and concept are just way too cool. Shark hands! And he comes with the most insane accessories ever: teeny tiny Advent Cards for him to hold, which actually fit into his Visor card scanner thing. It's ridiculous!

RIO:bone Buster Machine No. 7: Already owning SRC GunBuster, its successor from GunBuster 2/Die Buster was a natural choice. Nono was a great lead with a slick design in her Buster Machine form, and this toy (made by Sentinel) is about everything you could ask for. Love the ball-jointed antenna-hair, the removable goggles/glasses, and while I was skeptical about how the wrist joints on the switchable hands worked, I'm impressed now! Her hair and scarf-ends also do that 'turns to transparent plastic at the ends' thing that so many figures do these days, but it looks good on Nono, anyway. A few niggles: the rocket pods for her legs look great and I'm impressed they included them, but there's almost way too much hoo-hah involved in getting them attached and set up. Her hip joints are also a bit more prominent than I'd like (old SHF-style compressing hips would go a long way here), and I haven't attempted to switch her arms out for the 'crossed arms' piece, since they just feels so terrifyingly fragile (these ball-jointed shoulders are the exact same type as the one that tore off on the first figma Karin Araragi I owned), even though I'd be quite keen to put her in 'The Pose'. I'll have to brave that process later. Otherwise, she's a win.

I also picked up The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS. This is everything a sequel to Link to the Past should be, and that's saying a lot. It also makes the best use of the 3D I've ever seen on the system. Nintendo knocked this one out of the park.
Last edited by BWprowl on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:I also picked up The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS. This is everything a sequel to Link to the Past should be, and that's saying a lot. It also makes the best use of the 3D I've ever seen on the system. Nintendo knocked this one out of the park.
My God, now I want this more than ever. I SO need a DS. Hey, will regular old DS work or does it have to be one of the new 2ds or 3ds?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:My God, now I want this more than ever. I SO need a DS. Hey, will regular old DS work or does it have to be one of the new 2ds or 3ds?
Nope, 3DS (or 2DS). You know it's a completely new system, right? Like going from the Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance, it's a significant upgrade in terms of hardware power and the like.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:My God, now I want this more than ever. I SO need a DS. Hey, will regular old DS work or does it have to be one of the new 2ds or 3ds?
Nope, 3DS (or 2DS). You know it's a completely new system, right? Like going from the Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance, it's a significant upgrade in terms of hardware power and the like.
I did actually have a look at the differences between the DS, 2DS and 3DS, (sort of) but I just wasn't sure of game compatability so I appreciate the heads up.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

BWprowl wrote:
You want mine? I'm still mad at myself for buying that thing, and even eBay didn't want 'im, so.
If he doesn't, I'd be interested. I've been curious about that mold, but haven't been able to make myself buy Hoist or Trailbanger yet.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

No Transformers hauls yesterday, but one very nice Christmas present I was given is a combo DVD/Blu-ray player that is also region free. I should be able to play any DVD from anywhere now, which is NICE. :mrgreen:
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Hot quite a bit yesterday:

Titan Metroplex. Review to come later
Beast Hunters Abominus gift set
Generations Trailtaker
A Star Trek Tumbler with the Enterprise on it.
A TNG Coffee mug with the Enterprise schematic on it.
Into Darkness on DVD
Dexter seasons 7 and 8 on dvd
Diablo III for 360
Shirts.
Star Trek emblem salt and pepper shakers
a total of $215.