Done collecting?

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Done collecting?

Post by andersonh1 »

Rhinox is a good example. Saw the pictures and would really like the figure, but I'm likely to decide that for $22 or whatever the price ends up being that there are other things I'd rather have. I still haven't bought Blitzwing despite really liking the look of the updated figure. I'd love to display him next to my original.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Blitzwing is a good example of "Hasbro making it easy".

The figure retails for $20+usd, and all 3 of the modes have just enough stupid things wrong with them (either visually or mechanically) to diminish a figure that by all rights should have been a "must buy". All of the modes end up looking unfinished, either at the design stage or because they were mistransformed.

Dom
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I'm pretty much out. I mean, I'll pick up the occasional toy here and there when the mood hits, but it's nothing like back in the day when I was getting just a shitload of toys a few years ago.

A lot of it's about the same stuff that anderson had said. Finite resources, finite space, stuff like that. I hit a point a couple years back where I had one of those collections like Mako mentioned. Tons of stuff everywhere, you couldn't tell what was what in there, just looked like a big jumble of plastic. I stored or sold a lot of stuff and opened up the space on my shelves, but still, I was starting to feel walled in by the suckers. I was living in a four room apartment at the time, and it was starting to feel like every flat surface had some toys on it. At the same time, my brother and I had to go to my dad's house and just clear out a ton of shit that he'd been accumulating. Tons of it. I mean, you guys have seen Hoarders, right?

Between feeling crowded out of my own living space by all my stuff and seeing where that kind of thing could go, I decided it was time for my big sell-off of awhile back. Once we moved into this house my wife was encouraging me to put all my toys back on display, but I dunno. I dunno if I want to fill up my whole space with that stuff again. I did, however, after a few months here, finally put my Grimlock display back together, which I think is the perfect amount of toys to be out on permanent display. Then, like, whatever I've recently bought or been fiddling with lately will be out, but that means there's a grand total of maybe twenty-five toys out in my man-cave type area at any given time.

Incidentally, man. Four-room apartment with just tons of transformers on every available flat surface. And on our first date my wife and I went over there for awhile. It is nothing short of a dang miracle that she wanted to continue that date at all. Good thing I'm so pretty, I guess?

Anyway, ramble ramble ramble. I don't think I'm done forever at this point, because I really find this hobby's a lot more enjoyable for me in moderation. But I've bought, like, five toys from the store this year, and hooked up with a couple from Dom and O6. I can apparently enjoy the hobby a little bit here and there without going all in.

Though, shit, I have no idea what I'm going to do about all the Grimlock stuff that'll be showing up with the new movie. Dang.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

That's what it's become for me: the monthly comics, and an occasional figure here and there. Works well. :)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I don't think I'm done collecting, but damn if Hasbro isn't making it easy to feel that way with so few items coming out in the foreseeable future, and only 1 line worth collecting since they have ruined Prime with too much focus on Beast Hunters (holy gods, Walmart has a mountain of repack 2packs clogging shelves) and now these upscaled Cyberverse figures, and Generations is really slow. I'm still enjoying the figures that come out, but there are so few and not many new ideas in them at this point, it's like the brand is holding its breath.

I had been really enjoying RID and MTMTE for all its new ideas, but then "the big event" came through and has been systemically derailing both titles completely, killing my interest in hunting down more. Then we see these characters going to the fan club for 5x the normal price each and it feels like a kick in the teeth.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It is not the focus on "Beast Hunters" that is hurting the line. It is the fact that the "Beast Hunters" toys are almost universally over-priced and/or terrible. Hasbro's brand-management is not helping matters, as they are making mistakes that they should have been able to avoid 25+ years ago. (Two of the central Predacon characters in the tv series are Sky-Lynx and Darksteel. Both characters have been made as toys. But, the toys are Target exclusives *and* fail to look like the characters as seen on the show. Even if the moulds were perfect, the colours are so far off that they look more like tail-end recolours than initial release figues. Even if somebody finds those toys, they are unlikely to recognize them as the characters their kid is asking for.)
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Darksteel and SkyLynx fall into the same category for me as Makeshift and SkyQuake- one and done characters. Not worth my money for as little as they did on-screen. And I won't even go near the TFP Unicron toy. That thing is terrible. Hardshell's off the list too for being released only as a cyberverse size. Too small for my bigger guys.

Nope, I just need Predaking and Breakdown. And MAYBE, MAAAAYBE Beast Hunters Optimus. But only the regular version, not that giant monster of a guy.

If they continue making Generations Beast Wars guys, I'm going to snap them all up. Especially if they continue to be as impressive as Rhinox, Waspy and Rattrap. I'd really like to get a good representation of the entire season 1 cast, as I missed them all the first time around.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Mako Crab wrote:Darksteel and SkyLynx fall into the same category for me as Makeshift and SkyQuake- one and done characters. Not worth my money for as little as they did on-screen. And I won't even go near the TFP Unicron toy. That thing is terrible. Hardshell's off the list too for being released only as a cyberverse size. Too small for my bigger guys.

Nope, I just need Predaking and Breakdown. And MAYBE, MAAAAYBE Beast Hunters Optimus. But only the regular version, not that giant monster of a guy.

If they continue making Generations Beast Wars guys, I'm going to snap them all up. Especially if they continue to be as impressive as Rhinox, Waspy and Rattrap. I'd really like to get a good representation of the entire season 1 cast, as I missed them all the first time around.
I think the Beast Hunters toys were great molds ruined by super ugly colors applied to them.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Then pick any number of other characters from "Prime", Mako.

I like Knock-Out. He is a character from that show I actually like. But, aside from the Legends scale figure and a "Kre-O" set (purchased on *deep* discount), I do not have a Knock-Out figure. The default sized Deluxe figure is awful.

Tiger, you are probably on to something when you point out that the BH toys are ruined by the colours (both paint and plastic).
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Dominic wrote: Tiger, you are probably on to something when you point out that the BH toys are ruined by the colours (both paint and plastic).
Takara's versions were colored better.

I get that Hasbro figured different color schemes would help them sell better. but did Hasbro have to chose the worse colors schemes ever? it just feels like those colors were chosen by clueless newbies or kids.

That BH Grimwing mold looks like it was colored in BW Waspinators color scheme. The target Darksteele colors minus the orange are the better colors.