Other Robot Shows

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Other Robot Shows

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:Pacific Rim didn't do too well in America (it lost out to Grown-Ups 2, for fuck's sake) but internationally it ripped everyone's asshole to shreds--as it should be. So hopefully that's a thing that might get a cartoon or at least some direct-to-DVD animated films or something. It's an amazing flick and is everything that anyone who likes robots should love.
That's odd, I've heard nothing but good stuff about it.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:Pacific Rim,It's an amazing flick and is everything that anyone who likes robots should love.
I tend not to like this that involves lifeless-robots/mechs or exo-siuts,because most of the time they hire macho actors who can't act.
Also most of the time it's a ego filled movie,where all the overly macho guys compete wit each other. I dis-like all that corny/cheesy macho man type dialogue that in these typical movies.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Tigermegatron wrote:I dis-like all that corny/cheesy macho man type dialogue that in these typical movies.
I'm genuinely interested as to how you can be a Transformers fan, then, since 99% of the TF fiction dialogue I've seen since 1985 has been crammed with macho posturing.

Maybe it's different to you when the dialogue isn't delivered by literal human men. But you like Dragonball Z, don't you?
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

But Pacific Rim got released in a lot fewer theaters than Grown Ups 2. So no matter what, it couldn't have won out, unless GW2 sucked so bad, that all the theaters sat empty. Saw it myself, and absolutely loved it. One of the finest examples of the genre ever created.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

How does one movie "beat" another anyway? Surely the only objective measure of a film's success is how much of its own budget it recoups. Or.. y'know.. Rotten Tomatoes

I haven't seen Pacific Rim yet, despite being a born-and-bred giant monster guy, so I have to wonder if I'm suffering some sort of crisis of motivation.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Deathy wrote:I tend not to like this that involves lifeless-robots/mechs or exo-siuts,because most of the time they hire macho actors who can't act.
Also most of the time it's a ego filled movie,where all the overly macho guys compete wit each other. I dis-like all that corny/cheesy macho man type dialogue that in these typical movies.
Then you need to see Pacific Rim, because it isn't that. Every character is great, and the main character isn't that kind of character at all. His co-pilot is an Asian lady and she's not stereotypical or shitty either. And Idris Elba is in it and if that doesn't immediately make you want to run out and see it, nothing will.
Gomess wrote:How does one movie "beat" another anyway? Surely the only objective measure of a film's success is how much of its own budget it recoups. Or.. y'know.. Rotten Tomatoes

I haven't seen Pacific Rim yet, despite being a born-and-bred giant monster guy, so I have to wonder if I'm suffering some sort of crisis of motivation.
The other movie made more money, period. That's how it "wins."

That said, you need to go out and see this. Seriously. It's got great characters, the action is great (YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS!), the music is fantastic, the designs are killer, everything rules.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I dunno, something's still not doing it for me about Pacific Rim. I think it's just too...straightforward? I keep waiting for the hook, like "It's giant robots punching monsters...and?" That can't be all there is to it, it CAN'T just be generic giant robots punching generic giant lizard-monsters for two hours, I've seen that sort of thing millions of times. Just last week I saw a mechanical plesiosaur turn into a spaceship, fly into space, then turn into a humanoid robot to rocket-punch a comet monster. So it's like, what in the hell is so special about Pacific Rim that it's getting so goddamn hyped?

Also I think I've just been sick for like a year of everyone going on about how amazing it is and how it's like a live-action Evangelion and what the hell are you people talking about these robots don't look anything like Eva units and Eva wasn't about fighting lizard-monsters that popped out of the ocean and these aren't piloted by 14-year olds and god dammit is Evangelion seriously somehow the only piece of giant robot fiction you've ever seen Evas aren't even robots dammit seriously what the hell?!
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

BWprowl wrote:I dunno, something's still not doing it for me about Pacific Rim. I think it's just too...straightforward? I keep waiting for the hook, like "It's giant robots punching monsters...and?" That can't be all there is to it, it CAN'T just be generic giant robots punching generic giant lizard-monsters for two hours, I've seen that sort of thing millions of times. Just last week I saw a mechanical plesiosaur turn into a spaceship, fly into space, then turn into a humanoid robot to rocket-punch a comet monster. So it's like, what in the hell is so special about Pacific Rim that it's getting so goddamn hyped?

Also I think I've just been sick for like a year of everyone going on about how amazing it is and how it's like a live-action Evangelion and what the hell are you people talking about these robots don't look anything like Eva units and Eva wasn't about fighting lizard-monsters that popped out of the ocean and these aren't piloted by 14-year olds and god dammit is Evangelion seriously somehow the only piece of giant robot fiction you've ever seen Evas aren't even robots dammit seriously what the hell?!
It's a relatively realistic take on it: it shows the massive military machine and the logistics it takes to operate super robots, the toll on the economy they have, the way society would react to giant monsters roaming the world and their effect on urban infrastructure, etc.
annhell
Ultra

Post by annhell »

BWprowl wrote: how it's like a live-action Evangelion
I always took that as an oversimplification.

Eva influenced Japanese giant-robot anime on many levels since it was released, to the point that one can loosely argue that it's the pioneer of the modern giant-robot genre.

And, Pacific Rim paid great homage to the genre while preserving a storytelling style and attention to details more typical of American films (and, I'm saying"American" from the perspective of an Asian in Asia).

The categorising of Kaijuu and other aspects of emphasis on the back-end support teams, rather than being fully focused on the frontline bots was a trend started by Eva, and subsequently adopted in other series like GaoGaigar. The "drift" and memory sharing sequence is very much a reference to the more surreal or pseudo-spiritual sub-plots that many giant-robot anime have. And the characters?

- We have the truamatised hero with darkness in his past, tyring to overcome everything.
- The only Japanese (female) who is central to the story and not just visual candy or token gender ratio contribution
- The second-string "superstar" jock who antagonised the protagonist before working together
- The unfeeling, almost mechanical and overly objective "boss" who eventually shows his humanity and gives his life for the mission.

PacRim may not have been a direct homage or reference ot Eva, but it serves well as a tribute to all that is giant-robot since Eva redefined the genre.

And, I liked it. Lots. I want the DVD. Now.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Ron Perlman just being in this Pacific Rim movie makes me want to cringe & not want see this movie. The guy over acts his emotions in an awful way like Jim carey does.

I've seen enough of Ron Perlman in other movies to know that I dis-like the guy. often times he acts like a crazy,OCD,pumped up,over macho lunatic,with a Superiority complex. I've seen a few Pacific Rim movie commericials on TV & This is the way he acts in this Pacific Rim movie.