The Covenant of Primus

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Covenant of Primus discussion

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:whereas the Primus book in a giant Autobot faction symbol box is not believably in-universe.
That's how they appeared near the end of Beast Wars.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: The Covenant of Primus

Post by Onslaught Six »

No, it was just a book with a big Autobot symbol on it:
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/2/2 ... Primus.JPG
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Also, I am not sure why this is in the G1 section. (It should be in the "Aligned"/"Prime" section.)
The concept of the Covenant spans continuities, having originally been introduced in Beast Wars.
Onslaught Six wrote:No, it was just a book with a big Autobot symbol on it:
And inside was a screen with a cassette.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

The concept of the Covenant spans continuities, having originally been introduced in Beast Wars.
Yet this topic isn't talking about that "Covenant," but rather, a specific piece of media related to one subsection of the franchise (Prime, in this case).
And inside was a screen with a cassette.
You're missing the point; it wasn't a big, gaudy unfolding Autobot logo like the case for this book is. It's not a representation of an in-universe object; it's just a weird gimmicky thing to drive the price up.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:Yet this topic isn't talking about that "Covenant," but rather, a specific piece of media related to one subsection of the franchise (Prime, in this case).
Yet the Covenant is the same concept between each continuity, and that's the point. It's just a book detailing the mythos and history of the Transformers. Some of which actually is the same across various continuities, such as the origins with Primus, Unicron and the original 13 which is a major point about this book. And we really have no idea how much of the book will be continuity specific yet, especially when the 'Aligned' continuity isn't exactly the most aligned between all of its media.
You're missing the point; it wasn't a big, gaudy unfolding Autobot logo like the case for this book is. It's not a representation of an in-universe object; it's just a weird gimmicky thing to drive the price up.
No, I mean it wasn't even an actual book from what they showed in Beast Wars. It just looked like one on the outside. In the Re-Generation 1 comics, it appears as a disk. Clearly this book is not meant to represent how it actually appears in-universe, so I find it a bit ridiculous to gripe about it coming in an Autobot logo case for that reason. The case is for our benefit as a way to keep and display the book.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

I won't consider anything in this book as official canon. Due to it reaching such a low amount of buyers. If the majority isn't buying it+reading it,then it's basically invisble because only a small handful will read it.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

Tigermegatron wrote:I won't consider anything in this book as official canon. Due to it reaching such a low amount of buyers. If the majority isn't buying it+reading it,then it's basically invisble because only a small handful will read it.
So that means that series bibles and internal documents aren't canon, either?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah dude, just because YOU don't know about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Besides, it's not up to any of us what's considered canon, it's up to Hasbro. If they say it counts, it counts regardless of how many people are aware of it.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Yet this topic isn't talking about that "Covenant," but rather, a specific piece of media related to one subsection of the franchise (Prime, in this case).
Exactly. In real terms, the "Covenant of Primus" relates to TF Prime/Aligned. The preview that I saw includes new "Aligned" style art for several of the original 13 Primes. And, the whole point is to provide a new/unified origin for the TFs.

Almighty Unicron wrote:
Tigermegatron wrote:I won't consider anything in this book as official canon. Due to it reaching such a low amount of buyers. If the majority isn't buying it+reading it,then it's basically invisble because only a small handful will read it.
So that means that series bibles and internal documents aren't canon, either?
This view is more common that you might think.

"If something has a limited release or is simply not widely known, it does not count". Welcome to the world of self-indulgent fans, where content is only official if they say it is.

I know people who say that Fun Publications' output is "fanfic" because the people who right it are fans and it is not widely distributed. (They ignore that Fun Publications is a legitimate license holder.) This puts me in the odd position of defending Fun Publications.

-Decree Bound Dom...
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I've been asked to move this thread out of G1 since the content of the book appears to be focused on the Aligned continuity.

Since this product isn't only TF Prime but also Exodus and the WFC games, and we haven't fully dealt with the ramifications of how Aligned content works outside of a toyline yet, I'm going to move this to the general forum for now.

At the very least, even if it's not fully Aligned continuity, it's obviously crossing continuities with serious focus on TF Prime and TF War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron, you can see it in the imagery shown in the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kdYS16NRa8
As well, the Covenant as an in-universe object most-recently featured in the novel Exodus I believe, which is Aligned.

Dominic wrote:
There is a market for this kind of thing, it seems, given the release of stuff like "Transformers: Vault" a few years back.
"Vault" was excellent. It was a sound over-view of the franchise as a whole. And, from what I am seeing, it is a much better value for the money than "The Covenant of Primus".
Vault is so deep that after 10 months I still haven't gotten through it all.
I do not care how well written the in-universe entries are. I am not spending $100+ for a book that is packaged in a glorified roleplay accessory. (That fact that the accessory is, as JT points out, not very well executed does not make it more appealling.)
$60 on Amazon if you preorder now. But I agree, this just isn't what I'm looking for.

They didn't have a sample for me to see at Botcon, apparently it was displayed on Friday in a panel but not in the exhibit hall. Botcon's exhibit hall being a dealer room with a single exhibit booth and some tables for the art show is disappointing, they need more exhibits!
Also, I am not sure why this is in the G1 section. (It should be in the "Aligned"/"Prime" section.)
I guess you're right that this is an Aligned product, but this stuff is getting really complicated to figure out, especially with Generations carrying half the Aligned product (the WFC and FOC game figures), but Generations also focuses on G1 and Beast Wars and interpretations of RID and the UT. Armada Starscream is going to be in the Generations line next year (and looks really good).

Onslaught Six wrote:No, it was just a book with a big Autobot symbol on it:
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/2/2 ... Primus.JPG
You called an image that was actually to the image file's page, so I linked to the actual file. But now that I think about it, we shouldn't really have a direct link to their files, not only is it a tad rude, but their server is often slow and will slow down our pages. I'll change it to a URL link.

Boy does it look a tad silly just being a regular book shape on the outside.

Sparky wrote:The concept of the Covenant spans continuities, having originally been introduced in Beast Wars.
Which G1 is not... and also it is.

O6 wrote:You're missing the point; it wasn't a big, gaudy unfolding Autobot logo like the case for this book is. It's not a representation of an in-universe object; it's just a weird gimmicky thing to drive the price up.
On
The
Nose
!
Sparky wrote:Yet the Covenant is the same concept between each continuity, and that's the point. It's just a book detailing the mythos and history of the Transformers. Some of which actually is the same across various continuities, such as the origins with Primus, Unicron and the original 13 which is a major point about this book. And we really have no idea how much of the book will be continuity specific yet, especially when the 'Aligned' continuity isn't exactly the most aligned between all of its media.
Where do you qualify The Fallen from ROTF? Where do you qualify Sideways from the UT? It's where ever the product discussed comes from, I think.

Dom wrote:This view is more common that you might think.

"If something has a limited release or is simply not widely known, it does not count". Welcome to the world of self-indulgent fans, where content is only official if they say it is.

I know people who say that Fun Publications' output is "fanfic" because the people who right it are fans and it is not widely distributed. (They ignore that Fun Publications is a legitimate license holder.) This puts me in the odd position of defending Fun Publications.
That's why Lucasfilm has levels of canon, because there is stuff in Star Wars like the Funpub stuff that really cannot be taken seriously, so it's a low-grade canon that can be easily overridden by anything from a higher level - movies, tv, novels, comics, books, other products. Hasbro is playing fast and loose with their interpretation of "everything's canon" these days and for those who care, it's maddening. I don't care, so I just write-off the Funpub stuff as essentially fanfic, I take it no more seriously than a bio on the back of a Happy Meal package - which I suppose is also canon.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?