The Covenant of Primus

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

The Covenant of Primus

Post by Sparky Prime »

Thought this was interesting... A blog called Idle Hands got a look at an upcoming Transformers publication, "Transformers: The Covenant of Primus". The book will be 176 pages, priced at $99 and is due out December 3, 2013. The description says it'll cover the story stories of the Thirteen Primes, the golden age of Transformer civilization, the war between Optimus Prime and Megatron, and finally the present day on Earth as well as 60 never-before-seen images from the Hasbro archive and new illustrations by Ken Christiansen.

Take a look at the link for a preview from the book.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: The Covenant of Primus

Post by Dominic »

I want to know a bit more about it, (author etc) before committing. For the listed price, it needs to be better than the preview pages (as described in the one comment) would imply.

Still, a single origin would be appealling.....
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:I want to know a bit more about it, (author etc) before committing.
Written by Justina Robson with Original Illustrations by Ken Christiansen, Casey Coller, Livio Ramondelli and Emiliano Santalucia
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Reading the Wiki pages for Exodus, and most of the Primes introduced in it, does not give me a lot of hope that this will be anything good or interesting. Cosmic gibber-wank bullshit.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

Reminds me of a "lore book" Blizzard put out just before I started working there... which was, ironically, mostly written by Flint Dillie (the head writer of the company is good friends with him). I always love books that have nothing but lore with no story to bog it down.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I dunno, this actually sounds pretty interesting.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Almighty Unicron wrote:Reminds me of a "lore book" Blizzard put out just before I started working there... which was, ironically, mostly written by Flint Dillie (the head writer of the company is good friends with him). I always love books that have nothing but lore with no story to bog it down.
Reminds me a lot of the Jedi Path and Book of the Sith book sets:
http://www.amazon.com/JEDI-PATH-Manual- ... B00BIUZJWA
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Sith-Secrets ... 1612182615

I received the Jedi Path set as a gift, and it's very good, but I don't see that level of quality in this Covenant of Primus book's art or writing in the sample, and the way the Autobot box opens is not pleasing, it just breaks apart randomly.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

I would have preferred the 13 original primes origin stories been told thru the main line TF toy line that gets accompanied by a cartoon series/movie <-----As I consider this the ultimate canon.

Hasbro a year or 2 back hinted/rumored that TFP's cartoon series would be delving into the origin stories of the 13 primes. Hasbro 2+ years ago even blatantly said this is why the series is called "Prime". As it will be about the 13 primes origins & optimus's role as the current prime.

The thing with the current IDW TF comics,From my point of view. Hasbro gives IDW more creative freedom because Hasbro knows the comics industry is a dying market. Also Hasbro knows their main target age that buys 95% of the newer TF toys,doesn't buy the IDW TF comics---->So basically the IDW TF comics canon don't exist to the younger kiddies.

With the TF novels,It's ten fold less canon,as only a extremely small nitch of barely 1% out of the 5% of adult TF fans buy the TF novels. Thus hasbro grants them more creative freedom,because less read them thus they exist less to the 99% of TF fans world wide. It's extremely hard for me to consider anything from the TF Novels as canon due to my 2 main points I listed in this paragraph.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Tigermegatron wrote:The thing with the current IDW TF comics,From my point of view. Hasbro gives IDW more creative freedom because Hasbro knows the comics industry is a dying market. Also Hasbro knows their main target age that buys 95% of the newer TF toys,doesn't buy the IDW TF comics---->So basically the IDW TF comics canon don't exist to the younger kiddies.
It will later this year though, as Hasbro's going to be packing IDW-based TF toys with relevant comics and selling them directly to those kiddies. I'm interested if such a joint venture will actually result in more of TF's core target audience getting into the IDW books.

Also worth noting: Hasbro's been sticking the IDW logo on the back of the TF toy boxes for some time now.

Anyway, I'm mildly interested in this, at least. I actually found myself thinking the other week that I'd like to see them revisit the Covenant of Primus somehow, and here we are. Will it actually have interesting ideas, or will it be completely up its own ass with self-fulfilling bullshit? Only time will tell!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

BWprowl wrote:
Tigermegatron wrote:The thing with the current IDW TF comics,From my point of view. Hasbro gives IDW more creative freedom because Hasbro knows the comics industry is a dying market. Also Hasbro knows their main target age that buys 95% of the newer TF toys,doesn't buy the IDW TF comics---->So basically the IDW TF comics canon don't exist to the younger kiddies.
It will later this year though, as Hasbro's going to be packing IDW-based TF toys with relevant comics and selling them directly to those kiddies. I'm interested if such a joint venture will actually result in more of TF's core target audience getting into the IDW books.

Also worth noting: Hasbro's been sticking the IDW logo on the back of the TF toy boxes for some time now.

Anyway, I'm mildly interested in this, at least. I actually found myself thinking the other week that I'd like to see them revisit the Covenant of Primus somehow, and here we are. Will it actually have interesting ideas, or will it be completely up its own ass with self-fulfilling bullshit? Only time will tell!
0- My speculation is kids just buy the toys & read the IDW TF comics that come packaged with the toy. I don't see kids getting hooked on the IDW TF comics packaged with the toys with such a passion,that they run to comic book stores & become montly IDW TF comics books buyers-----> Hasbro knows kids won't do this,Hasbro included the pack in comics to add more flare/specialness/bonus's for the 30th TF toy line,Also to help kids get a back story on the character toys they just bought.

1- Comic books shops these days are hard to find. it's not like their around the corner or across the street anymore like they were in the 1980's,1990's & early 2000's. I just don't see parent's/kids wanting these IDW TF comics that badly that their willing to do the research to find out where their nearest comic book store is,then spend time traveling to it each month.

2- If Hasbro & IDW cared they set up a mail in subscription form for the kiddies/teens/adults inside the newer TF toys,So toy buyers can have their IDW TF comics delivered to their house.

2a- Currently Diamond distributors is running a comics distribution mafia,they are litteraly preventing some comic books companies from setting up mail order subscriptions forms,so buyers can have the comics mailed to their house. Diamond is trying to protect it's remaining comics books stores from closing down,because Diamond knows mail order subscriptions would put the final nail in the coffin & make the remaining comics books stores close down.

3- I don't see parents in this era taking their kids to comic book shops in large supply,sure some will,but the majority won't. Due to Comics books stores these days not being G Rated/PG rated. These days their are far too many PG-13/R/X Comics being stocked in comic books stores. Some of those R/X rated comics feature nudity,lesbians,goth,zombies & extreme bloody death violence.