Superman flying motionless in the sky makes no sense/wrong.

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Superman flying motionless in the sky makes no sense/wrong.

Post by Tigermegatron »

Superman flying motionless in the sky makes no sense/wrong. I just wanna know what the intelligent levels of the writers were who created this motionless flight concept for superman & other super heoes with no wings. my guess is the intelligence level for the writers was beyond low. what's worse other writers that climbed on board afterwards agreed with the concept & didn't change it to something more realistic.

Yeah I totally get/understand the origin back story. The reason superman can fly thru the sky/space,is because his Krypton planet have less or more gravity. thus he's light as a feather on earth & can fly coupled with our red sun giving him more power.

THING THAT MAKES NO SENSE. Superman & other super heroes who can fly with no wings. YOU can't give fly without moving your limbs & be motionless in the sky. at the very least if super heroes with no wings want to travel in the sky from east to west or noth to south they have to move their arms to mimic birds wings to gain acceleration to thrust themselves forward. or at the very least mimic the humans gaining distance in the water swimming by moving their limbs in a certain way to thrust themselves forward.

I'm sorry,no moving any limbs & flying forward thru the skies/space IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ACHIEVE DISTANCE. Not only is this impossible,it's a insult to the minds of kids/adults as creating this theory warps the minds of those who think it's possible to achieve.

CLASSIC EXAMPLE: In space & on the moon,when astronauts want to fly in space of gain traveling distance. astronauts can't stay motionless. astronauts needs to do super jumps,mimic birds wings flying or mimic human swinning on water to fly/move/gain traveling distance in space/moon. astronauts can get swept out of tide in the gravity of space,but this isn't flying or gaining distance by ones will. having the space/moon gravity overwhelm a human & push them into deep space is similar to when a ocean wave/tide pushes a human outward without him controlling anything. having the tide sweep you out into sea is not similar to flying in sky/space.

I kinda like that the incredible hulk does those super jumps to gain acceleration. at least this is somewhat realistic & what the astronauts did on the moon. sadly superman in the 1930's/1940's use to do super jumps instead of flying,this was more realistic than having the current superman fly motionless upward thru the skies,then stay motionless like a board traveling from east to west or north to south on the earth or thru space.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Superman flying motionless in the sky makes no sense/wro

Post by Onslaught Six »

Actually, originally Superman couldn't fly. He could merely "leap tall buildings in a single bound." (That became so ubiquitous that it was in the introduction of the old Fleischer cartoons.) I don't know when this got cranked up to complete flight, but if I had to guess, it probably would've been in the Silver Age.

And unlike your other thread, you actually do have a point with this one--Supes just being able to fly randomly doesn't make any sense. At least with guys like Green Lantern, he's using his Ring Power to generate some kind of forcefield or something that lets him levitate and stuff. Supes doesn't have any of that; he just straight up flies off for no reason. Even Dragonball Z, a series where even regular humans like Hercule's daughter can just straight up start flying, they handwave it off as "concentrating their ki" and stuff. Supes doesn't even really have that.

At least the Decepticons have the excuse that they probably have rocket boots or something.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

It was theorized by Lex Luthor at one point in the comics that Kryptonians had developed an organ that allowed them to somewhat negate the effects of their home planet's gravity since it was much higher than Earth's gravity. With the super powers granted by the exposure to yellow sunlight, that organ somehow creates a much more powerful aura around Superman which gives him the ability to manipulate the force of gravity on him to the point he can fly or stay stationary in the air, or even while in space.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Way I heard it was that it stemmed from the 1980 movie with Christopher Reeve. The producers were originally going to have him leap, but at some point decided to say screw it and just have him fly since it was easier for the either the plot or the special effects or whatever. And apparently after that, Superman was always flying.

But yeah, Deathy has a point, especially with the moon thing. Supe's flight doesn't make sense, he would totally be doing some sort of epic Hulk leap type thing. And really, that's the best case scenario. We take one regular step on the moon and we go like, 20 feet or something. I can't imagine how slow/weakly Supes would have to walk to seem like a normal human. Clark Kent would basically be leaping all over the city just to walk to the market or whatever.

Now, I can understand this in the case of a character like Magneto who repels off of feros objects. And basically uses his mind to do so. Or the Invisible woman who's using a forcefield (again created with her mind).
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:Way I heard it was that it stemmed from the 1980 movie with Christopher Reeve. The producers were originally going to have him leap, but at some point decided to say screw it and just have him fly since it was easier for the either the plot or the special effects or whatever. And apparently after that, Superman was always flying.
Superman's ability to fly was introduced back in the 1940's. Fleischer Studios, who produced some of the first Superman cartoons in 1941, found it too difficult to have him leap or run everywhere. So they asked DC if they could just give him the ability to fly instead, and DC said yes. Superman's ability to fly in the comics would later officially be established in 1943's Action Comics #65.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The whole premise of the thread is kind of... obvious. Superheroes in general don't make any sense. Either you suspend your disbelief and just go with it, or you don't. In real life, Batman (for example) would either be killed pretty quickly by someone with a gun, be arrested by the police, or quickly suffer crippling injuries. Batman makes no sense. The Flash's speed makes no sense. He could never make sharp turns or come to sudden stops. Momentum would see to that. And his joints could never take the pounding of all that running since the human body isn't designed for that kind of stress. Aquaman could never exist. The list goes on.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

And his joints could never take the pounding of all that running since the human body isn't designed for that kind of stress.
Doesn't Flash have Superhero Standard Invulnerability? Which is usually handwaved away as "accelerated healing factor" in Marvel books. In other words, Flash's body would be able to quickly heal from the wear and tear that running so fast would have on a regular human being's body.
Batman (for example) would either be killed pretty quickly by someone with a gun, be arrested by the police, or quickly suffer crippling injuries.
Modern Batmans usually have some kind of really good Kevlar-based armour, preventing gunshot and knife wounds from really hurting him too bad. The police can be avoided--especially if they're willing to work with Bats, like Gordon is. As for the injuries...Batman's not a character who's really meant to last 70 years, in real time. Nolan's Batman was already worn down after a year or two, over the course of which Batman Begins and TDK take place, and then following that he takes an eight-year break, and by that point he's so broken down and old that he has to use technology to get himself back into shape, and Bane still easily bests him.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Daniel Tosh in his first standup special said this: I get that [Superman] can fly... but I want to know, how does he fly FASTER?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLZHmyrJ4j4
And that's where the idea totally falls apart. But what really pisses me off is that eventually they made it so that Wonder Woman can fly too, WTF?!?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:But what really pisses me off is that eventually they made it so that Wonder Woman can fly too, WTF?!?
Wonder Woman gets her powers from Roman Gods, so I can see them giving her an ability like flight. But it did make having an invisible jet unessisary...
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

andersonh1 wrote:The whole premise of the thread is kind of... obvious. Superheroes in general don't make any sense. Either you suspend your disbelief and just go with it.
I think what I hate/loate most about marvel/DC iconic super heroes,is that the majority of them wear those tight spandex outfits. In real life if anyone saw a guy wear tight spandex they'd mock him, attack him & call him a homo-sexual.

I think the whole super heroes wearing spandex tight oufits stemed from the early 1930's when the spandex material was first introduced to the real world. At the very least marvel & DC should update all the super heroes costumes to get rid of the tight spandex outfits. because super heroes don't need spandex outfits to perform their super heroes jobs. I would think looser clothes would make fighting crime much easier.

I kinda like the X-Men super heroes because at least they alternate 50/50 between loose super heroes clothes & spandex outfits.

The whole idea of a guy who's a super hero squeezing into a tight spandex outfit & showing off his ass & penis is just gay. a decade ago I read a article that marvel & DC were saying that they make super heroes guys wear tight spandex outfit that magnify their ass & penis to please the majority of the male comic book readers who they said are gay or semi-gay.