Retro Comics are Awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Retro Comics are Awesome

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:So I might actually be posting in this thread more often. My fiancé picked up the Wonder Woman Golden Age Omnibus Volume 1 on Friday. I'm definitely interested in reading it with her so I'll post my thoughts on it as it goes.
I have that same volume. Since I like Golden Age DC so much, I thought I'd give Wonder Woman's series a try, but I'm not sure I liked the material enough to buy any further volumes. I'll say this, Wonder Woman is unlike any other series from that decade, at least from what I've read. There's a lot more direct involvement with WW2 and Nazi spies than any other series. Apparently William Marston was into bondage, and it shows up in the comics, because it's a rare thing for an issue to go by without someone (usually Wonder Woman) getting tied up or chained. Kids reading the series would just think it's the villains tying up the heroes, but as adults it's easy to tell there's more subtext behind it. And interestingly there is an actual Diana Prince who shows up a couple of times, from whom Wonder Woman adopts her civilian identity as a disguise.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sounds like it'll be an interesting read then. I'll keep the updates coming as we go through them. I'll also post my thoughts on it as well as the reactions of my fiancé.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The next Batman volume won't be out for a month, and for my birthday I got the Silver Age Flash omnibus volume 1. I've never been a big Barry Allen fan, and when I've tried reading some of this material in the past, it hasn't done much for me. But I'm enjoying it quite a bit more this time around. This is undeniably silly Silver Age craziness that makes Green Lantern from the same era seem quite restrained. But I think I'll write up some summaries as I read through the book. If nothing else, I'll enjoy seeing Wally West's early appearances, long before he became the Flash when Barry died in the Crisis.

The collection begins with Jay Garrick's last solo story, probably because when Barry Allen got his own series, it continued the same numbering as Flash Comics, meaning Flash began with issue 105. They probably wanted readers to not wonder where Flash 1-104 were. It's an interesting choice to essentially continue the old series years later with a new lead character, after a few issues of Showcase to test the waters first. This is the very beginning of the Silver Age.

Flash Comics #104
February 1949

The Rival Flash!
Man, this story makes me want a Golden Age Flash and Golden Age Hawkman series of omnis, though the art could use some new restoration, and the caption is missing from the title page. But that Hawkman cover looks great. Either way, I love that Jay's final story is included in this book. The story recaps Jay's origin and builds the plot around it, as Jay's old chemistry professor from college, Dr. Clariss, overheard Jay's girlfriend Joan telling a friend how the Flash got his speed. Clariss used some of the remaining hard water from the lab to create his own speed formula, though it was temporary rather than permanent. Scorned by the scientific community he turned to crime, adopting a darker version of the Flash costume and calling himself the Rival, but was finally stopped by the Flash. As far as I know, he's the first ever "reverse Flash" type character.

Among the many links between this story and the first Barry Allen story is the penciler. Carmine Infantino drew both, though the art feels very different. I guess different inkers and six years of growth as an artist will do that.

Showcase #4
September-October 1956

Mystery of the Human Thunderbolt!
There are so many links between this series and the original Flash comics. Many of the same creative team worked on both characters. Barry himself is seen reading Flash Comics #13 (he's a comic book fan like all of us!). When Barry gets his own series it will pick up with the same numbering as Flash Comics.

Police scientist Barry Allen gains super-speed from an accident involving chemicals in a lab. He discovers he has super speed and designs a costume to hide his identity as he fights the Turtle Man (an updated version of the GA Turtle?) and defeats him, adopting the name "Flash". Turtle Man is not a very impressive villain, but I do enjoy seeing how Barry discovers his speed and is obviously a novice super hero, figuring out the different things he can do. There's a very real sense that he's thinking his way through this experience, which is enjoyable to read.

The Man Who Broke the Time Barrier!
The Flash tangles with Mazdan, a criminal from the future, with Barry using his speed and scientific knowledge to counter the man's advanced weaponry. I like once again that the Flash exercises some problem solving skills here, and he actually captures the guy early in the story, only for Mazdan to escape (using futuristic contact lenses!!), with the ultimate solution being to return him to the future. Jay could move through time under his own power, so why not Barry? There's lots of thought balloon exposition all through the story as the characters think their history and motivations to the reader, but it's the way stories were told at the time.

Showcase #8
May-June 1957

The Secret of the Empty Box!
A giant box appears which keeps the police occupied while crimes take place elsewhere, and Iris once again acts like a jerk because poor Barry is late. He, being the kind and thoughtful person that he is, stopped to help a little girl recover a lost ring. He figures out that the box is a distraction and under a pretext of getting Iris some lunch, searches the city and ultimately catches a set of triplets who are all dressed identically and all in on the crime spree. This being a superhero comic it was always possible that there was some other explanation for the three identical men, so I kept wondering. The mystery has enough twists and enough super-speed tricks to keep things interesting.

The Coldest Man on Earth!
Captain Cold makes his first appearance, using his cold gun to freeze a bank and everyone in it and then rob the place. When the Flash responds, Cold's gun doesn't affect him directly, but is able to make the ground slippery enough that the Flash can't get enough footing and Cold escapes. The story makes it clear that Leonard Snart, who adopted the Captain Cold alias, was deliberately trying to find a way to defeat the Flash, indicating that Flash has already gained a reputation among the criminal underworld. Snart's cold gun was an accidental invention as he was trying to create a gun to generate radiation, and it creates such cold that it creates mirages as well. I'm not sure I buy that, but anyway... the mirages enable Cold to attempt to tire the Flash out as Flash reacts to the false creatures he sees, but Flash ultimately pulls the same trick on Snart using his speed, and he captures him, taking him to police hq. Not a bad beginning for what will become a big time Flash enemy down the line.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Showcase #13
March-April 1958

Around the World in 80 minutes!
Poor Barry is still being nagged by Iris for so often being late. I can't say I like Iris very much at this point. They discuss "Around the World in 80 Days" and Iris wonders how long it would take the Flash to go around the world, with Barry speculating that one day they might find out. Meanwhile Barry, ever the science nerd, has set up a watch that lets him pick up police signals, and it's so effective that he can pick up police radio from overseas. Barry ends up foiling crimes in Paris, Egypt, Mount Everest and on the high seas, each time getting a kiss from a beautiful woman he's rescued. But Barry only has eyes for Iris, and for once he makes it to his date on time.

Super speed tricks: Barry disassembles the great pyramid at super speed and puts it back together. Speed doesn't negate the weight of those stones. However, my wife enjoyed his super speed kiss on Iris's cheek when he heads overseas. Barry, you're way too good for Iris. Find a nicer girl.

Master of the Elements!
There's a new criminal in Central City (we'll see this happen a lot). Mr. Element and his henchmen Argon and Radon rob a jewelry store. Barry, late again for a date with Iris, which earns him the usual scolding, is able to find an excuse to get away and go into action as the Flash. He is unable to stop Mr. Element on several occasions due to Element's use of... elements. Mr. Element plans a trap for the Flash and ends up shooting him into space, however Barry is able to slingshot himself around the moon (I'm not kidding) and return safely to Earth, capturing Element and his gang. I can accept the Flash doing all sorts of crazy things, but like the pyramid disassembly last story, this stunt is really pushing it.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Showcase #14
May-June 1958

Giants of the Time-World!
So Iris is a pilot as well as a journalist. Hmm... and Barry's watch that scans for trouble makes a return appearance as Iris tries to photograph a UFO while in flight, and vanishes. Flash figures the technology level means the UFo had to come from another dimension, so he uses his speed to crash through the time barrier full of tiny people who grow to giants before his eyes as they prepare to invade Earth. Naturally Flash rescues Iris and stops the invasion. I'm not a fan of this one, as Flash seems to win through sheer good luck and some bat-deduction, just happening to guess the correct answer to the problem of where Iris disappeared to.

The Man Who Changed the Earth!
Mr. Element returns, breaking out of jail and changing his name to Dr. Alchemy. Once again we get more exposition as Alchemy thinks about his recent history and catches the reader up with events. He figures out that his cellmate's "lucky stone" is really the famous Philosopher's Stone, steals it, and goes on a new crime spree, using the power of the stone to fight the Flash. He lures Flash back to his lair and attempts to trap him, but is forced to escape while Flash finds his way out of a maze of crystal. A second encounter sees Alchemy briefly stop Flash with giant rubber bands (I am not making this up), but Flash gets free, takes the stone and hurls it into outer space, and has Alchemy locked up. This is easily the better of the two stories, and I do like seeing a crook up his game in an attempt to beat the Flash, but it's awfully convenient when your cell mate has the legendary philosopher's stone for you to steal.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The Flash #105
February-March 1959

Conqueror from 8 Million B.C.!
The Flash gets his own series after four tryout issues, and we get a recap of his origin. The premise reminds me a bit of an All-Star #52 where ancient rulers of Earth return and attempt to resume their rule. In this case, it's a single metallic being named Katmos. Katmos mind-controls archaeologist John Haines to free him, and then begins stealing what he needs to build a mass mind-control weapon to master the world. But Katmos amusingly gets it wrong and builds a weapon that turns people into geniuses instead, so some random guy in the park that he tested it on is now a million times smarter. He adjusts it in time to capture and imprison the Flash in the same underground chamber he'd spent millions of years in, but Flash escapes and takes him out. The narration at the end says he's in jail, so is that were all eight million year old metal men end up when captured?

The Master of Mirrors!
John Broome missed a trick here by not making the guy from the park the same guy who becomes the Mirror Master, because they look about the same. While in prison, Sam Scudder accidentally creates a mirror that can capture an image and learns that he can use it to create copies of people that he can control. He copies a bank teller and uses him to steal, but Barry notices that the teller has his wedding ring on the wrong side and his hair parted on the wrong side, follows the image to Scudder's house, and fights a number of different illusions created by Scudder until he's able to capture him. We just saw the Flash fighting illusions back when he came up against Captain Cold, and for that matter, Cold stumbled on his weapon's abilities as well, so there's some repetition of ideas here. But Mirror Master is another classic villain, and I enjoyed reading his first appearance.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The Flash #106
April-May 1959

Menace of the Super-Gorilla!
Classic Flash enemies continue to debut quickly. I don't know where the idea of a telepathic gorilla as an enemy for a super-fast hero came from. Like so many of these villains, it's just bizarrely entertaining. Grodd makes his debut, though for a number of pages the story attempts some misdirection as Barry's friend Fred Pearson, who plays a gorilla in a long-running stage play, wonders if he is the strange gorilla seen roaming the streets at night. But it's not Fred, it's Grodd, from Gorilla City in Africa, searching for the ability to control others through "Force of Mind", which he telepathically steals from Solovar, another gorilla who had been captured and was pretending to be a normal gorilla. Solovar decides the only thing to do is ask the Flash for help. Flash is understandably freaked out to see a gorilla enter his apartment through the window and speak English. Flash takes Solovar back across the sea to Gorilla City and uses his speed to take Grodd out before Grodd can use the Force of Mind against him, earning the friendship of Solovar in the process.

And that has to be the most Silver-Agey summary paragraph I've ever written. The thing I'm learning about this series is that you just have to go for it and embrace the craziness. I do chuckle a lot while reading these stories, but I genuinely enjoy them, even when I can't quite believe what I'm reading.

The Pied Piper of Peril!
I wonder if the Piper is riffing off the Golden Age Fiddler, as a villain who uses music to control others? The Piper takes it further, controlling some physical objects as well, such as using the river to create a wave that surprises the Flash. The Flash gets involved when the Piper challenges him by means of a sound bubble that broadcasts over the radio. Barry, at a date with Iris at her apartment, ditches her and goes after the Piper. The Piper has a number of tricks that work for a short time, but it really doesn't take Flash long to capture him and his gang. He makes up an excuse to Iris, and all is well.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The Flash #107
June-July 1959

Return of the Super-Gorilla!
That was quick Grodd escapes from Gorilla City jail, and Solovar contacts the Flash via his "vibration aura". I love the gorilla phone and switchboard headsets! Flash responds and heads to Gorilla City, where he has to be attuned to the hidden city's vibrational frequency to see it. This seems to be a common theme of the series, where objects exist in the same space and time but in a slightly different dimension that the Flash can learn to access. I've read "Flash of Two Worlds" so I know that's how he accidentally discovers Jay Garrick's Earth later on, just to give one example.

Grodd has escaped to an underground world filled with winged humanoids, which he is controlling. Flash vibrates his way down to the massive underground cavern (how much nerve does it take to just travel down through dirt and rock on a leap of faith like that? I guess Barry is not claustrophobic!) where he quickly finds Grodd. But the odd air of the underground world crystalizes around the Flash as he moves too fast (I guess the story had to delay him from stopping Grodd too quickly). He still had enough momentum to damage Grodd's "de-evolutionizer", so Grodd has to take time to repair it. I love that the Flash takes a moment out of trying to escape the crystal to express wonder about the hidden world he's found. He realizes Grodd is controlling the bird people, and some super speed vibration topples him over and shatters the crystal. He watches his speed this time and super-speed punches Grodd into unconsciousness, freeing the avians and returning Grodd to prison. Later, Barry hopes that's the last he sees of Grodd, but the caption box promises that it won't be.

One more observation: it's refreshing to see the Flash running around without all that lightning that we see in modern Flash comics. I've never liked the energy generation as he runs. When did that start? Infantino's speed lines are perfect for conveying the idea that he's moving at incredible velocity, and that's really all we need.

The Amazing Race Against Time!
A man who is faster than Flash appears in Central City, but this green-clad man has no memory of who he is. Flash promises to help him recover his memory, but Iris thinks a great publicity stunt will be for he and Flash to race each other. The man is faster than Flash even while running backwards, which just seems impossible. Flash is really down about this, but a memory treatment finally works, restoring the man's memory but robbing him of his speed. He is an artificial man, an alien scout sent out to repair a dimensional breach, but a crash on Earth interrupted his mission. Having lost his speed, he asks the Flash to repair the breach, and of course the Flash agrees. Afterwards, Flash is quite happy that he's still the fastest man alive, since the scout was an artificial being. Friendly aliens are a nice change from the usual, and this was just a fun, pleasant story that demonstrates Barry Allen does have a bit of an ego.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The Flash #108
August-September 1959

The Speed of Doom!
The Flash falls into a trap as other-dimensional criminals who have been stealing items from Earth designed to give them super speed decide that the Flash is the only threat to them. One of them disguises himself as a scientist who offers to measure Flash's speed, but in reality the treadmill and instrumentation are designed to trap the Flash into running himself to death. Flash beats it by exceeding the speed of light, faster than the treadmill can handle, and breaking free, after which he breaks through the dimensional barrier and captures the thieves, turning them over to the custody of that dimension's law enforcement. I just have to wonder, how many other planets and dimensions is Barry going to find? I love the crazy yellow aliens in this story.

The Super Gorilla's Secret Identity!
Grodd returns for the third issue in a row, escaping from Gorilla City jail yet again and using his "evolution accelerator" to make himself human. Once he becomes human, he travels to Central City and recruits a workforce to build a factory for the sole purpose of developing a pill to give Grodd "the power of mind over matter". He uses this to try and kill the Flash, but his ray wears off and he returns to gorilla form... only to find that the pills don't work on this "lower" form of life. He tries to return and use the accelerator again, but Flash melts it with friction from his hands and makes handcuffs from the metal to capture Grodd. That's just great. Back to Gorilla City Grodd goes, only to escape again soon, I'm sure. Meanwhile Flash wins man of the year again, so he's happy it wasn't Grodd in human form who actually got the honor.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Iris West is a jerk. Barry needs a new girlfriend.

The Flash #109
October-November 1959

Return of the MIrror Master!
You have kept me waiting for the last time! I never want to see you again! This is FINAL. Iris

Iris West and her photographer go to the Central City prison to get a picture and a story about Scudder, the Mirror Master. He vanishes from his cell right in front of their eyes. Mirror Master gloats about his dramatic timing (I love it... so many of these crooks are showmen at heart, which would explain the flashy costumes), having used mirrors to shrink himself and escape. He later uses mirrors to "envelop himself in an aura of light" so his identity can't be seen, and he just walks into a bank to rob it, but the Flash catches him on the way out. Flash recovers the money, but Mirror Master blinds him long enough to get away.

Here's where the second plot of the issue kicks in, as Iris has finally had enough of Barry's lateness and breaks up with him. And she won't even do it in person! She just leaves a pretty darn cold breakup note! Barry tries to apologize but she won't talk to him. Then he has to deal with Mirror Master, who lures him to a building's roof and shrinks him down to about an inch high. Here's where things get really wild (as if they haven't already). The tiny Flash falls from the roof but lands unhurt on the sidewalk because he's so small and light. He has to avoid being stepped on, then he stops a man from being run over (the man wonders what hit him, having never seen the tiny Flash), and then Flash returns to his lab. He is able to return to full size because the rays from his "polaroid light machine... increase the growth of cells and plants" and it works on him as well. After returning to full size, Barry easily surprises Mirror Master and captures him.

All that remains is to work out his problems with Iris, and stalker Barry Allen does so by using Mirror Master's mirrors to project images of himself everywhere Iris goes. She decides this must mean she can't get him off her mind, and agrees to give him another chance. Creepy, Barry, creepy. But then he slips on a mirror and knocks himself out, and he's late again. Serves him right! This is absolutely the craziest Flash story so far... but I'm sure it will be surpassed at some point.

Secret of the Sunken Satellite!
The Flash fights fish people to save a race called the Sareme that live in undersea caverns. Barry's friend Fred Jansen, an astronaut, discovered them when his space capsule plunged into the sea and he was lost for ten days. He thought the Sareme were just a strange dream, but when Barry decides to investigate, he finds that it was all very real. The story hand-waves the problems of air and the pressure of the ocean depths by stating the same accident that gave Flash his speed allows his body to withstand the pressure, which sort of makes sense. And in the few minutes that he can hold his breath his speed lets him cover a tremendous distance. He not only defeats the fish creatures, he helps the Sareme learn to defend themselves in future. This is yet another hidden world that the Flash has encountered. These places turn up every month in this series!