GI Joe General

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Re: GI Joe General

Post by Tigermegatron »

138 Scourge wrote:I dunno about a Terrordrome, but if they put out a BAT factory where you could build different BATs out of different parts? Yes sir, I'd be in.

Something like, cracked BAT parts, extra weapons for different specialized missions, stuff like that. Maybe enough bits to make two or three complete figures out of it. Maybe just switchable heads and arms, even?

Not gonna happen ever, but that'd be pretty neat.
I saw a idea like this recently in stores being used for the Iron Man 3 movie toys. where their a assortment/series of Iron man 3 toys that are 3 & 1/3 humanoid iron man 3 toys that are being sold on a blister card. the iron man has all the limbs detached from the torso. the package instructions says buyers can have fun mixing & matching various iron man parts from other figures in the assortment. I'd imagine this play pattern mix & match limbs idea would work well for the G.I Joe cobra bats as their robots that break & can be repaired/put back together using different colored bats toys or slightly different upgraded/special ranks groups bats models.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Huh, I didn't realize the Terrordrome had so many different rooms on the lower level. I dunno, it still doesn't look like much in photos:
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/terrordrome/
I think maybe playsets just always are gonna suck, they seem fun because of all the figures put into them, but by themselves they're never as interesting as vehicles. This was a similar problem with the Star Wars line, after decades of asking for playsets, they turned out not to be all that fun to actually own. They were good for smaller Micro Machines and Action Fleet, but 3.75" figures they were too big to be anything other than overly plain.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Where that lever is, that's where I put the hot tub. I get what you mean and this is largely why playsets aren't really produced anymore. They're big, expensive, take up a lot of toy shelf space and parents mostly don't wanna buy them. That said, I actually think they are more fun today than they were 30 years ago: I for example have used the Terrordrome for some of my Toyfare style comics. At one point, I had Mario jump out of the middle like it was a warp zone. It's really only limited by your imagination and now, with programs like photoshop, imagination can become reality.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Given that the comics are the only place that "GI Joe" is viable at the moment, I figure I may as well post a listing of how many directions the original comic went. This is similar to what I did with the G1 TF comics not too long ago.

Marvel "GI Joe": Ran for 155 issues, between the early 80s to the mid 90s. Includes "Special Missions" and the "Yearbook" annuals. The US comic has the first "split" owing to the "Generation 2" cross-over. The US G2 comic launched out of "GI Joe" (most likely to Hama's chagrin) and referenced both the 80s TF/Joe cross-over as well as the end of the US "Transformers" comics. The same G2 cross-over also resolved a few loose plot-threads in "GI Joe" and ended with a character being written out. However, the Joe comic has a few plot points that are hard to reconcile with G2 (such as Prime being on Cybertron) to say nothing of the fact that events shown in "Generation 2" were ignored in "GI Joe". (The Joes were shown responding to Decepticon attacks in "Generation 2", but the Joe comic did not even mention this.)

Marvel UK "Action Force: Putting aside questions raised by TF cross-overs, (and the UK comics arguably raise a whole new set of questions here), the UK "Action Force" comics did not sync up with the US book in terms of tone and context (the UK being a bit darker and less clearly focused). Additionally, "Action Force" was described as being "International Heroes" rather than "a Real American Hero". (Conceptually, I like this a bit. But, in practice, the US comics ran longer, and had more chances to impress.) The Marvel UK series arguably acknowledged the 1987 movie, if not all of the Sunbow cartoon.

The original Marvel series has been followed from multiple times over the years.

-IDW: There is a current, Hama-written, comic that picks up where the old US comic left off. I have flipped through it. The problem is that Hama resolved the important plot threads before the original series ended. IDW's modern follow-up is just aimless.

-Disavowed: This is a catch-all term that refers to follow-ups to the Marvel series not primarily written by Hama.

-Fun Publications: The "GI Joe v/s Cobra" exclusive comics nominally draw on the old Hama series, with at least one story (featuring the Cold War specific Oktober Guard) being explicitly set in the past. The '04 convention set (released before Fun Publications started producing comics for the Joe sets) strongly implies that Hawk is dead.

-DDP: In 2001, Devil's Due Productions re-launched "GI Joe" (starting the trend that led to G1 returning). The results were mixed. But, fans largely re-acted negatively, largely for the sake of complaining. The DDP run specifically ignores and/or loosely re-writes some parts of the original Marvel run, such as ignoring the "Generation 2" cross-over and events like the SAW Viper's death. As Hawk is never shown to die in DDP, it arguably cannot be reconciled with the Fun Publication's books.

-pack in comics:
About 5 years ago, Hasbro started including comics with the 25A figures. Some of these were set during the original Marvel run and were even written by Hama. However, these comics did not fit in with the old comics (characters showing up at times and in places when they should not have been alive to do so). One notable example depicts a fight between Lt. Falcon and Nemesis Enforcer that did not correspond to the movie.

Late edit: I actually missed one.

In 2009, Pablo Hidalgo's "Ultimate Guide" was published as a way to punctuate the pre-IDW and pre-movie era. Hidalgo opted to write a generalized account of nearly everything published in the US before then. While he glosses over many of the particulars, Hidalgo describes a setting that incorporates significant amounts of Sunbow/Dic, Marvel/DDP, "Reloaded", "Sigma Six" (and by extension "Spy Troops and "Valor/Venom" as well as the Arashikage Showdown set), "Resolute" and even some Fun Publications stuff. While not strictly comic related, it draws heavily on the comics, and thus merits being included.