Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Trek

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:You could call Leonardo as cop a disguise, but what's the excuse for the TMNT as Star Trek figures other than Playmates held both licenses?
I remember those! I always thought it was so strange they made the Turtles in Star Trek uniforms... Like you say, there was no reason for it.
Except that the Maquis had escalated from rebels protecting their homes to terrorists running raids on Federation facilities as they became more desperate. The Starfleet officers with them went from sympathizers to traitors by doing so.
When did the Maquis raid Federation facilities? Other than 3 Starfleet Officers stealing some things when they revealed themselves to be Maquis sympathizers I don't recall the Maquis ever going after anything from the Federation. In general, the Maquis pretty much avoided the Federation as much as they could. Eddington got a little bold by raiding some raiding some freighters but they weren't exactly Federation.

Meanwhile, the Cardassian colonists somehow ended up with battleship grade phasers stuck onto their shuttles despite the Cardassian government insisting they weren't helping out those colonists...
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Sparky Prime wrote:
JediTricks wrote:You could call Leonardo as cop a disguise, but what's the excuse for the TMNT as Star Trek figures other than Playmates held both licenses?
I remember those! I always thought it was so strange they made the Turtles in Star Trek uniforms... Like you say, there was no reason for it.
The actual reason: Peter Laird really likes Star Trek, and yeah, Playmates had both licenses. He's the one who came up with it.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Sparky Prime wrote:
The actual reason: Peter Laird really likes Star Trek, and yeah, Playmates had both licenses. He's the one who came up with it.
Really? I thought it was just part of the whole exclusive boner that Playmates had for Trek.

"It's a FAKE!" is still one of my favority lines from Trek ever. And that really was a great episode. It showed a commander doing what was needed to win the war while finding a way to deal with the morality of what he was doing. Heavy stuff but very interesting.

Supernova series, yeah I think you're right, the chrome Locutus was the only other one. I remember seeing that at some point and wouldn't mind owning one if to just have another borg around. Although, on my Worf it says "Holodeck series". Hm.

I remember FAO being overpriced on just about everything. I mean, why should I buy POTF Vader for 15$ there when I can go across a parking lot and get one at Toys R Us for 8$? They really didn't know what they hell they were doing. KB wasn't much better and they suffered for it too. I'm just glad there were no Playmates FAO exclusives. I know Spencer Gifts had a few, Target had some and I think Toys R Us? Maybe? I dunno, the exclusives just started to piss me off after a while. It's like Playmates just started saying "Hey Trek fans! No, not you, the RICH Trek fans! Buy our stuff that's exclusive and it's gonna be worth a ton of money some day!" Riiiiight. :roll: It's a bit like card collecting. I have a crap ton of Star Trek cards and I can garuantee that it's a big pile of worthless. Still, got some neat looking cards out of it though.

And I'm almost through Season 2 of TOS. So far, I've noticed a much higher death count this season than last. And, more of them are red shirts than other colors. Season one only had I think one actual red shirt that stayed dead (the others came back or were restored somehow by the end of their episodes). It was mostly yellow and blue shirts that stayed dead. Season 2 has so far seen about 13 dead reds and 1 blue. I'm also noticing that there were actually two different models used for the Enterprise at any given time. One with the forward part of the nacelles with "points" on them and no lights and vents on the back, and another that has no points and lights on the front and instead of vents on the back it has those round silver "ball" looking things.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Also, went to the comic shop last night. I managed to scrape some money together and got most of the current IDW monthlys.
I am tempted by those. John Byrne doing a regular book again? And, hey, the Tiptons have impressed me in the past.
And the Wild West? I actually had Wild West Don and Mike, they were kinda fun figures actually from a design exercise sort of way. There was no excuse for the Supermutant TMNT figures though, not the superhero-themed ones, the taller, thinner, more "exciting" physique figures
I am thinking we need a "Playmates TMNT figures all suck" thread.
Toy Biz figures had generally had accessories, not sure what you're thinking of, and I don't remember teams being remotely difficult to complete unless you wanted specific variants like non-clear Iceman.
Many of the accessories were....crap that had nothing to do with the comics. This was especially true early on in the line.

Toy Biz half-assed making complete teams in one unified look. You could only make complete teams if you accepted characters in uniforms that did not match and/or in off-scale sculpts. (Did they ever make a complete set of X-Factor for example?) Good luck getting all of Freedom Force. Hell, even the 4 guys they made did not fit together. Pyro was bigger than the Blob. And, the Crimson Commando was in his post-FF costume.

That kind of thing saved me a huge amount of money as a kid.
Except that wasn't its foundation at all, hence deconstruction. DS9 was great, but it viewed morality from a 20th-century lens, Sisko's line there was ignoring TOS' dealings with morality concerns of the future, when race and money weren't issues to humans anymore there were new problems to deal with, while DS9 stuck with race and money and shadiness. I think the writers didn't have the balls to make Sisko a willing violator on the Prime Directive, they'd let him break it then give him personal justification (TOS would let Kirk break it but for the greater good), but they wouldn't give Sisko any consequences for his choices, he got promoted while they were ignored.
The idea was the Sisko had to make compromises. He was a Federation Rep in a non-Federation area. He did not care about money. But, the people he was dealing with did, which ultimately made money valuable to him for its basic utility.
Good episode too, but definitely a great example of what makes DS9 good television but controversial Trek.
Well, it beats having tea with the Dominion, which is the solution that TNG would have used.

Harry Kim got killed and they used his alternate from a different timeline, that was the only really acceptable way to get away with replacing a main character,
Oh, that does not sound like bad fanfic at all....

I was just throwing out a way that the show could have avoided the crew shortage problem and still be cavalier about high body counts in every episode.
they know they're hacks, just lucky ones.
Points for honesty then.

The thing is that there are people who *really* like that writing style. There are people who want the predictable set-up and resolution. They like plots that they can keep time to.
I'd be curious to hear your take on it if you viewed it again for more specifics
If I get the chance to sit through it again....
While doing a little research writing this post, I came across mentions of Kes, whom I had entirely forgotten about being on Voyager. The way they mishandled that character was atrocious, but the way the blundered her leaving and final return was mind-numbing.
?
"It's a FAKE!" is still one of my favority lines from Trek ever. And that really was a great episode. It showed a commander doing what was needed to win the war while finding a way to deal with the morality of what he was doing. Heavy stuff but very interesting.
Yeah. Sisko had to kill the guy after that. But, the necessity was problematic. (And, hey, it worked, right?)

FAO exclusives were a big burden for collectors, I remember that, they were disgustingly overpriced on exclusives. Playmates' Trek line from what I'm seeing online never had an FAO exclusive.
For regular figures, FAO was was more expensive than scalpers. Honey Bear and I used to treat them as scalpters. Every so often, one of use would break down and get an SW or BW figure there. But, we always felt dirty.

FAO exclusive were killer for obvious reasons. With "Star Trek", there may not have been FAO exclusives. But, the whole damned line was exclusive in some way. It was not even fun in the hypothetical.
They really didn't know what they hell they were doing. KB wasn't much better and they suffered for it too.
Class snobbery, plain and simple. They were banking that people of a certain class would spend extra money to avoid shopping with the rabble and masses. Of course, most of the people with FAO levels of money, (paying over $10 for a SW in the late 90s would be like paying around $20 now), did not have kids or buy toys. And, toy collectors are pretty economical about their hobby. (Yes, we spend money on non-essentials. But, we try to be cheap about it.)

FAO was a good last ditch attempt. But, even so, Honey Bear and I only went there maybe a half dozen times, and bought things even less.

Dom
-was not sorry to see FAO fail.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

How did Harry Kim wind up being alternate universe Harry? I don't think I've ever seen all of Voyager apparently. As for such a thing sounding fanficish, I kind of expect that from Trek anyway. There have been so many deus ex machina resurrections throughout Trek history that such things should be taken as the norm. Actually, one of the card series I have is the "Doppleganger" cards which show "alternate" versions of various characters. Ranging from characters in disguise to those same characters from alternate timelines.

MLP is an awesome show. I honestly never thought I'd say that but there you have it. I like the fact that it finds the conflicts we often have in our every day lives as opposed to the usual 80's standby of "good vs. evil". I mean I think we've all had deadlines we've nearly missed but how many of us have had to fight Decepticons? Or Romulans.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Yeah. Sisko had to kill the guy after that. But, the necessity was problematic. (And, hey, it worked, right?)
Sisko didn't have to kill him. That was all Garak, and Sisko was extremely angry when he found out that had been Garak's plan all along.
Shockwave wrote:How did Harry Kim wind up being alternate universe Harry?
"Dreadlock". Voyager is accidentally duplicated by a subspace divergence field. In their attempt to escape the plasma drift they entered, Voyager uses proton bursts to propel themselves but the effect severely damages the other Voyager (they were unaware they'd been duplicated at the time). Harry and the infant Naomi die. Eventually a rift is discovered that allows crew to pass between the two ships and the undamaged Voyager is attacked by a Vidiian ship. Janeway orders her Kim to take Naomi to the other damaged Voyager and self destructs their ship to prevent the Vidiians from raiding both ships.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Is it just me or did she blow the ship up a lot? I think she self destructed in "Year of Hell", She threatened to in that one where the invisible aliens were experimenting on the crew, and I'm sure there were probably others.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:Is it just me or did she blow the ship up a lot? I think she self destructed in "Year of Hell", She threatened to in that one where the invisible aliens were experimenting on the crew, and I'm sure there were probably others.
It's not just you. According to funtrivia.com, the ship was destroyed 5 times throughout the show. I can't find any statistics on how many times she threatened to destroy the ship, but I'm sure it would add to that number.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

And now I'm on to season 3. Which started off with my favorite original series episode just for the sheer stupidity of it: Spock's Brain. Seriously, the whole plot is that Spock's brain is missing. This just cracks me up to no end. Other than that, it was captain Kirk's "kill the computer of the week" episode. He does that a lot. M-5, Nomad, That lizard head shaped one on that one planet, and now this one. And that just barely scratches the surface.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

So I finished the Original Series. There were a lot of interesting ideas presented although it did come off a little preachy sometimes (particularly the "space hippies" episode). There are some episodes that I found myself hating more than before while others that I disliked before were not so bad this time around.

And I started watching the Animated series. Got three episodes into it and started watching Voyager because Voyager had finised downloading and I wanted to see if I could jury rig it to be watchable on my tv in the living room. Turns out routing it through the xbox works perfectly. And it can access it off an external hard drive so I don't have waste space on either my computer or xbox. But anyway, yeah, Voyager. I'm already into season 2. Season 1 had some good set up and presented some plot threads that would bear fruit later but I can see what people like JT mean when they say they half assed it. Or at least certain aspects of it. Kes and the Ocampa in particular I find the main offenders on that scale since they seem to be a "kitchen sink" alien. This is especially bad in Elogium. Yes, it's a season 2 ep, but it's so bad, I had to stop watching it. So let me get this straight: Ocampans can only have ONE kid EVER in the entire 9 YEAR EXISTENCE and when they do the female grows weird shit on her back, eats everything within a foot of her mouth, the lovers have to be glued together for like two and half days and she sweats so profusely that she looks like a strung out crack whore? Oh, and as if that wasn't bad enough, at some point during this massive bone a thon her feet need to be massaged... BY HER PARENTS?!! Yeah, at that point I moved on to the next episode. Done.

Shockwave
-When I get home, I'm going to see who wrote "Elogium" and boycott watching anything by that person. Ever. Ugh.