Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Star Trek

Post by andersonh1 »

I've never been into collecting Trek toys, but I love just about all the series. I've got the complete run of DS9 and Voyager on DVD, and the remastered TNG may convince me to upgrade to Blu-ray when it comes out. Oddly enough I've never collected the original Star Trek, though I keep meaning to. Watched every episode many, many times growing up and it's still my favorite. Dated now, of course, but still really good.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I grew up on the original Trek as well. In fact my parents have told stories of me watching Star Trek before I could even talk.
Sparky Prime wrote:
Shockwave wrote:That's true, the Federation position did change as they learned more about the Borg. But at the time of "I, Borg" they were thinking of it more how Guinan put it, about killing one drone is like severing an arm or a leg, you still have the rest of the beast to deal with. And taken into that context, do you rescue the limbs or kill the whole beast?
It's generally a bad idea to try and attack something you know so little about. And it's unusual for Starfleet to default to such a destructive mentality. Given enough time they could come up with a method of killing the beast and saving the limbs by severing the hold the Collective has on them, as we eventually see somewhat with Unimatrix Zero.

Wasn't it Crusher that made the limb analogy when they were working on Locutus? I don't recall Guinan saying that...
I think you're right now that you mention it. Still I think if a situation is broken down to kill or be killed I know which one I choose.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I feel so young all of a sudden... I was only about 3 when The Next Generation premiered.
Shockwave wrote:Still I think if a situation is broken down to kill or be killed I know which one I choose.
The way Star Trek presents humanity though, they look beyond that to defeat the 'no win scenario' as it were.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote:I feel so young all of a sudden... I was only about 3 when The Next Generation premiered.
Shockwave wrote:Still I think if a situation is broken down to kill or be killed I know which one I choose.
The way Star Trek presents humanity though, they look beyond that to defeat the 'no win scenario' as it were.
As when the world was new? Sorry couldn't resist. Yeah, I'm old. Don't think I mentioned this in the Bday thread but I'm 37. Yep, that's right. I'm old enough to remember when there was only TOS.

Dammit. I can't really argue against the Kobayashi Maru now can I?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

If nothing else they get a "commendation for original thinking". :P
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Sparky Prime wrote:I feel so young all of a sudden... I was only about 3 when The Next Generation premiered.
Hey. Hey junior. What have I told you about being on my lawn?

I'm a fogey, I was..eleven or twelve? When did TNG show up, anyway, '88? I loved the original show as a kid, but never got like, crazy into it. I did become a pretty big TNG fan after a friend literally forced me to watch it one night. Although, first episode I saw I decided that Tasha Yar was my favorite character on the show, so of course she was killed off later that episode. Dammit.

Dom's told me more than once that DS9's really good. And I know I could watch it on Netflix anytime, or borrow my girlfriend's mom's DVD sets of it, but I just couldn't get into it back in the day and I don't think that I'm likely to change my mind now.

Truthfully, I haven't even been able to watch TNG again recently. I'll try to watch an episode now and again but just can't get into it. Still like the characters and all, but just not into the show anymore. If I'm gonna watch Star Trek, I'll go with original series or with the new movie any day of the week.

As for the Borg thing, I was gonna argue that not killing the lot of 'em was the way to go, if people went around genociding every invasive, marauding species when they first showed up, then white people would have been over with long ago. But we've gotten at least a little better, and surely a species that assimilates every other culture and technology is bound to learn and evolve eventually. But if planting the logic-bomb in Hugh's head would've just wiped out one cube, then...I dunno. One less cube to worry about, but if the Borg manage to learn from everything that kills one of 'em, then using that logic-bomb on a ship that's not even a present threat sort of negates a weapon they could use later.

Which brings up a point: did they ever say for sure that the Borg are a species? Like, is there pure-blood Borg, or are they all assimilated from other races? I know they had Borg babies, but were they born on the ship, or stolen and assimilated from other species? If they were born on the ship, is the DNA of assimilated people incorporated into the Borg's genetic matrix?
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

138 Scourge wrote:When did TNG show up, anyway, '88?
'87, according to Wiki.
Dom's told me more than once that DS9's really good. And I know I could watch it on Netflix anytime, or borrow my girlfriend's mom's DVD sets of it, but I just couldn't get into it back in the day and I don't think that I'm likely to change my mind now.
I had a hard time getting into DS9 when it began myself but the later seasons really are very good. My advise would be to start with season 3. That's when I felt the show starting picking up.
Which brings up a point: did they ever say for sure that the Borg are a species? Like, is there pure-blood Borg, or are they all assimilated from other races? I know they had Borg babies, but were they born on the ship, or stolen and assimilated from other species? If they were born on the ship, is the DNA of assimilated people incorporated into the Borg's genetic matrix?
The Borg themselves wouldn't be a species, as they are a collective of different species from different worlds. But you could describe the Borg as a race. And we've never seen the original Borg that began the Collective, at least as far as we know.

As I recall, 7 of 9 said the Borg don't procreate (except for "One" who was an accidental convergence of technologies that resulted in his creation). So any children would have to have been assimilated from other species.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Yeah, DS9 was off to pretty slow start. It was always Bajorans vs. Cardassians until season 3 when Odo finally finds his people and finds out that they're xenophobic intergalactic warlords. Then the whole tone of the show changed and it got really interesting.

I'm going to start over with TOS. I'm only a handful of eps into it so this shouldn't take too long. And, after each episode, I'm going to keep a running crew count. Just to see how many yellow, blue and redshirts die throughout the series. This time I'm going to be going in production order rather than airdate order as it will also be easier to chronicle the changes that way.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:As when the world was new? Sorry couldn't resist. Yeah, I'm old. Don't think I mentioned this in the Bday thread but I'm 37. Yep, that's right. I'm old enough to remember when there was only TOS.

Dammit. I can't really argue against the Kobayashi Maru now can I?
You young whippersnapper. Should I admit how old I am? My birthday's coming up soon, so I might as well. Got you beat by a few years. Wait until you hit 40... and of course, I'm almost at the end of that. I'll be 41 in May. I'M the old man around here, I'm thinking. :D
Shockwave wrote:Yeah, DS9 was off to pretty slow start. It was always Bajorans vs. Cardassians until season 3 when Odo finally finds his people and finds out that they're xenophobic intergalactic warlords. Then the whole tone of the show changed and it got really interesting.
I agree. The show was good from the start, though slower than it later became. The Dominion was what really made DS9 different and interesting.
I'm going to start over with TOS. I'm only a handful of eps into it so this shouldn't take too long. And, after each episode, I'm going to keep a running crew count. Just to see how many yellow, blue and redshirts die throughout the series. This time I'm going to be going in production order rather than airdate order as it will also be easier to chronicle the changes that way.
The last time I started a Voyager marathon, I started noting how many crew members die in an episode (if any), crew count (if given) how many torpedoes they use up, and how many shuttles are destroyed. I'm curious to see how many of each they go through. It's interesting to see just how consistent the internal continuity of the Trek series are. TOS was making it up as they went to begin with, so there are some oddities early on, while I think the Voyager writers just stopped caring after awhile.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:
The last time I started a Voyager marathon, I started noting how many crew members die in an episode (if any), crew count (if given) how many torpedoes they use up, and how many shuttles are destroyed. I'm curious to see how many of each they go through. It's interesting to see just how consistent the internal continuity of the Trek series are. TOS was making it up as they went to begin with, so there are some oddities early on, while I think the Voyager writers just stopped caring after awhile.
This is why I like ex-astris-scientia.org. In their "Investigations" section, they look into all sorts of issues the television series and movies have. It's just interesting to see some of the things they've noticed or point out.