Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Trek

Post by Sparky Prime »

The trailer for season 2 of Discovery is online.

It seems strange that Pike is taking command of the Discovery when he already has command of the Enterprise. However, there appears to be several workbee ships flying around the Enterprise when the Discovery leaves, so I'm guessing the Enterprise is damaged (despite having no signs of it). I like the more traditional TOS color uniforms Pike and the Enterprise crew are shown wearing. But it makes it that much more strange that the rest of the Starfleet personnel we've seen in this series are wearing these all blue uniforms. Even Pike switches to the Discovery style uniform in the trailer. Looks they'll be drawing more inspiration from the JJ films. The warp effect looks a bit more like it did in the first two of those films, and the space pods dodging asteroids reminds me of Kirk and Khan dodging debris in Into Darkness, or the space jumping onto the drill platform in the 2009 film. Spock having taken leave from the Enterprise feels like a bit of a cop out, but given they say he has some sort of connection to these "seven red bursts" they're going to investigate, it sounds to me like they have plans to involve him in the series at some point.

Overall, I'm liking the premise of investigating these mysterious "red bursts" this trailer establishes for season 2 of Discovery. That feels more like what Star Trek should be than what they did with the first season. But it's strange to see Pike taking command of the Discovery for the mission, while the Enterprise remains sidelined. I mean, I get this series is Discovery, so it should be about Discovery. But having Pike take command... I feel like that's just baiting Star Trek fans. With Captain Pike and the Enterprise involved, I'd rather be seeing the Enterprise in action rather than Discovery.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I've always been a bit fascinated by Pike and his crew since The Cage is the only time we ever saw them. Any time he's featured, I'm glad to see the character hasn't been forgotten. It is interesting that he takes command of the ship, and I agree, it's good to see him in a gold uniform.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I like Pike's uniform. I'm still not interested in watching season 2.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Patrick Stewart to return as Picard for new Trek series!!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/04 ... ew-series/
“I will always be very proud to have been a part of ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation,’ but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with ‘Star Trek’ had run its natural course,” Stewart said. “It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Good to hear Stewart will be reprising Picard in a new series. About time they remembered they've got an era to work with besides TOS.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I am excited for this, but as long as Kurtzman has anything to do with Star Trek, I'm going to be skeptical.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:but as long as Kurtzman has anything to do with Star Trek, I'm going to be skeptical.
Yeah, given his track record with the franchise, I have to say I'm skeptical about how well they'll handle things as well.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I was in the mood to watch some Trek over the Thanksgiving weekend, and ended up watching The Motion Picture and the Wrath of Khan. It's interesting to me how I've reevaluated TMP over the years. As I told my daughter, it's a "sci-fi film from another era". I used to think it was too slow, but I've grown to appreciate how this movie takes its time in telling the story. It's not all big flashy CGI action scenes that go by so quickly you can't appreciate the world being created on screen. I love the five minutes or so where it's just Scotty flying Kirk around showing off the refitted Enterprise. I enjoy the long flight through the Vger cloud where so much of what we see is never explained.... we never learn just what all that is for. It feels like we're in the shoes of the crew, exploring the great unknown. And despite the poor uniforms, I do enjoy seeing the crew look not all that much older than they did in the original series, reconnecting after going their separate ways. Poor Doctor McCoy doesn't get a lot to do in the middle of the film other than walk on to the bridge and off again, sadly, and it's clear in hindsight that the Decker/Ilia story was re-used for Riker and Troi on TNG. It's not a bad movie, and I enjoy it more than I used to. Like "The Cage", it's the sole example from the time period in Trek history that it's set in, and that too renders it a bit more interesting.

Isn't TMP supposed to be about 2 and a half years after the five year mission ended? And then there's another ten years before Wrath of Khan? The fictional timeframe doesn't match the real life time frame for TMP, while TWOK does (Kirk speaking of it being roughly 15 years since he last saw Khan).
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:I love the five minutes or so where it's just Scotty flying Kirk around showing off the refitted Enterprise.
Honestly, that has always been my favorite part of the movie. The refit Enterprise just looks amazing, and I've always appreciated that they took the time to show it off in the film and even helps to give the ship itself some character.

Really wish the JJfilms had done something like this. They never did the Enterprise any service with how easily it got blasted in each movie and never really gave a great look at the ship.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:I was in the mood to watch some Trek over the Thanksgiving weekend, and ended up watching The Motion Picture and the Wrath of Khan. It's interesting to me how I've reevaluated TMP over the years. As I told my daughter, it's a "sci-fi film from another era". I used to think it was too slow, but I've grown to appreciate how this movie takes its time in telling the story. It's not all big flashy CGI action scenes that go by so quickly you can't appreciate the world being created on screen. I love the five minutes or so where it's just Scotty flying Kirk around showing off the refitted Enterprise. I enjoy the long flight through the Vger cloud where so much of what we see is never explained.... we never learn just what all that is for. It feels like we're in the shoes of the crew, exploring the great unknown. And despite the poor uniforms, I do enjoy seeing the crew look not all that much older than they did in the original series, reconnecting after going their separate ways. Poor Doctor McCoy doesn't get a lot to do in the middle of the film other than walk on to the bridge and off again, sadly, and it's clear in hindsight that the Decker/Ilia story was re-used for Riker and Troi on TNG. It's not a bad movie, and I enjoy it more than I used to. Like "The Cage", it's the sole example from the time period in Trek history that it's set in, and that too renders it a bit more interesting.

Isn't TMP supposed to be about 2 and a half years after the five year mission ended? And then there's another ten years before Wrath of Khan? The fictional timeframe doesn't match the real life time frame for TMP, while TWOK does (Kirk speaking of it being roughly 15 years since he last saw Khan).
TMP is indeed 2.5 years after the 5 year mission based on the dialogue in the film (and the Enterprise has spent 18 months of that being refit). Wrath of Khan is apparently 12 years after TMP.

TMP is a great film, it's a tragedy that the director's edition was never rendered in HD as it solves some of the issues the theatrical cut suffers. But even the theatrical cut, I was watching it with friends recently and the lead-up to V'ger is shocking how engrossing that material is.
Sparky Prime wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:I love the five minutes or so where it's just Scotty flying Kirk around showing off the refitted Enterprise.
Honestly, that has always been my favorite part of the movie. The refit Enterprise just looks amazing, and I've always appreciated that they took the time to show it off in the film and even helps to give the ship itself some character.

Really wish the JJfilms had done something like this. They never did the Enterprise any service with how easily it got blasted in each movie and never really gave a great look at the ship.
Someone pointed out to me recently that Scotty's trip around the Enterprise isn't just model-gazing, it is giving the audience a sense of scale so when we see tiny humans next to this massive ship, we understand later in the film that the tiny ship next to the massive V'ger. Those senses of scale do reverberate, I think.

The New Coke Trek films don't give a shit about the Enterprise, which is why it's so ugly and poorly-designed (the way the giant nacelles are barely attached to the pylons, for example). They weren't even sure how big their ship was going to be in the first one, giving multiple vastly different scales, ultimately deciding it should be larger than the 1701-D.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?